Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

6 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Played Cardiff Bootlegger last night. Really difficult access, then parking in the world's most cramped multi-storey car park. Load in long and many stairs. Then afterwards load out complicated by huge numbers of (good natured) revellers on the pedestrianised street and a packed dance floor as the disco took over.

Staff were great, free drinks too.

Audience was enthusiastic but modest for first set, filled up for second set, definitely into our sort of music which was good. We even had people who came because they saw us on YouTube 🙂

Oddly though I felt a bit meh, perhaps because the odd layout put me ahead of the PA. First time I've felt the audience enjoyed the gig more than me.

image.thumb.png.3ad03365144f1671c66bf9e836016d64.png

image.thumb.png.fcf7792685f7f0c1deb59da4df45e06e.png

Nice Jazz Bass! Slab body?

Greyhound in Sutton Bridge tonight with 4 Play. See, there’s four people in the band and we play music. Clever! (Not my idea it was like that when I got here nothing to do with me officer).

Starting to gel nicely. Now need to work on removing the drummer from BVs and getting guitarist to leave more of them to me. And need to sort his pedal board. About 3 drive pedals, badly chosen delay settings, and a mix of digital and analogue on a non-isolated PSU. Ground hum, anyone?

Very Fen, but the crowd were up for it, good sound, we played well! Nothing til 22 October now sadly.

ALL FINGER AND WRIST PARTS SURVIVED WITHOUT INCIDENT FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS YEAR. HALLE fudging LUJAH 😁

• Like 8

We played Silja Rocks last night, my first gig on a cruise ship going between Helsinki and Stockholm. We were first on in the starlight Bar opening for Michael Schenker. I was travelling light using my Ibanez shorty and a Zoom B1 four using the house rig. I’d been picked up at 0120 to get a flight from Heathrow at 0730. Travel all went without a hitch. When we arrived we were disappointed that what was provided didn’t match what had been promised, main worry being no backup instruments. I risked it and Del managed to blag a Les Paul from another band. I ended up going through an EBS Fafner 600 and a Markbass 4x10. I had a lovely tone but I had to seriously crank the volume to get loud enough which again leads me to blather on about how loud my Bugera 1001T is. Our drummer was struggling as he had a seriously crap kit to play on which was a shame. On the plus side, stage and FOH staff were all fab and we had a great stage sound and apparently FOH was epic too. We had an absolute blast and went down a storm. We made a point of watching a part of Schenker’s set. He had a great band behind him and they were on fire. Finished with a raft of UFO numbers and I was in my element. Currently sharing a bus back to the airport with his band (minus Michael) and they’re all great guys. Still pinching meself about how this is all going in my retirement, honestly! Caviar for breakfast and as many Maoams as I could eat - heaven!

• Like 20

30 minutes ago, King Tut said:

We played Silja Rocks last night, my first gig on a cruise ship going between Helsinki and Stockholm. We were first on in the starlight Bar opening for Michael Schenker. I was travelling light using my Ibanez shorty and a Zoom B1 four using the house rig. I’d been picked up at 0120 to get a flight from Heathrow at 0730. Travel all went without a hitch. When we arrived we were disappointed that what was provided didn’t match what had been promised, main worry being no backup instruments. I risked it and Del managed to blag a Les Paul from another band. I ended up going through an EBS Fafner 600 and a Markbass 4x10. I had a lovely tone but I had to seriously crank the volume to get loud enough which again leads me to blather on about how loud my Bugera 1001T is. Our drummer was struggling as he had a seriously crap kit to play on which was a shame. On the plus side, stage and FOH staff were all fab and we had a great stage sound and apparently FOH was epic too. We had an absolute blast and went down a storm. We made a point of watching a part of Schenker’s set. He had a great band behind him and they were on fire. Finished with a raft of UFO numbers and I was in my element. Currently sharing a bus back to the airport with his band (minus Michael) and they’re all great guys. Still pinching meself about how this is all going in my retirement, honestly! Caviar for breakfast and as many Maoams as I could eat - heaven!

Nice work, my friend!

Met a sweaty Schenker in 1980. He had been widdling for 4 hours in a rehearsal room we were next to occupy, clad only in a Flying V (natch) and a pair of silk shorts!

Nothing like as great as your tale, but all I can offer…

Edited by Mickeyboro
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

Nice work, my friend!

Met a sweaty Schenker in 1980. He had been widdling for 4 hours in a rehearsal room we were next to occupy, clad only in a Flying V (natch) and a pair of silk shorts!

Nothing like as great as your tale, but all I can offer…

I've got a story about meeting Mr Schenker at a party in the early 80s - not sure that it's suitable for Basschat though...! 

• Haha 2

I was a bit concerned our gig last night might have been cancelled due to the Royal stuff going on at the moment.

Singer emailed yesterday morning to say his voice is playing up and he won’t be doing the gig.

The venue was not best pleased when I telephoned to cancel at short notice and the rest of the band were pretty brassed off about it.

• Sad 1

Played a village hall gig, which was basically a favour for a friend of one of the guitarists. Usual squashed into a corner stuff made worse by said guitarist/vocalist having messed his back up and having to sit throughout the gig, reducing available space even further. Band had nearly split up a month or so ago when the drummer walked. We had a new guy who had done a couple of rehearsals with us. Fortunately he is our local equivalent of Charlie Watts and slotted straight in with metronomic precision. Plus side also is that he brought an electronic kit, thus requiring less of the meagre space available. Problems with the digital mixer meant we had virtually no sound check. I used my recently acquired Barefaced Two10S with my Orange Terror 500 for a small footprint and my custom P/J  with LaBella flats. Yep, vintage, on vintage, on vintage, without the sound check to adjust EQ: note to self, if you want to be more than a rumble, use at least one modern voiced bit of kit. Fortunately it went well despite the other guitarist doing Here Comes the Sun with his capo a semitone out, forcing on the fly transposition: somehow a semitone is harder than a full step Guitarist no 2 just stopped playing for the whole number 😏.

• Like 4

I did an outdoor unrehearsed 45 minute set last night with a guitarist I’ve done a lot with in the past. His son was due to play drums but was delayed at work so we roped a guy we knew who was there to play for the first few songs. He’s a talented keys player and did ok on drums but…..what creased me up was, as his son arrived, the guitarist announced “Thanks to Pete Best, but Ringo has arrived”. Classic. And I played my CIJ 62RI P bass for the first time in a while - there is something about a P bass. 

• Like 6

A standard pub gig for me last night. Not played there before (a hotel on the Oxford road just out of Swindon), we found a genial host, and a small but appreciative audience.

A bit of a schlep for some of the band , mitigated by an afternoon gig en route to the venue, twice the money for the same journey.

At least it would have been if the passing of the monarch hadn't (bafflingly) caused the cancellation of the afternoon event.

However, I made a goodly bit of cash during the jubilee celebrations so I can't really complain.

• Like 4

Don't you just love it when a venue tells you that the Landlady has failed to leave any money/allowance, in the safe, to pay for the band AFTER you've played, and the covering manager is refusing to pay out as it's not their problem.

Owner/Landperson is (1:15AM Spanish time) pretty difficult to contact in the med coast, and after 30mins, rather sh8faced ..but somehow allows the covering management to "Just take it from the till.."

sat about for 45mins/1 hour that I didn't need to be hanging about for... 

Probably not playing there again.

• Sad 3

Looking forward to throwing the stuff in the car and driving downtown tonight. 
Harvest Moon weekend , Halifax is a University town and the students are back. Thankfully the old dive I’m in tonight is slightly off the beaten track , and the students will be elsewhere. 
We’ll see what the night brings. 

Played at our spiritual band “home” gig at the haystack, Canvey Island last night. It’s nearly always a good one for us with decent support from the punters, patrons, friends and family. 

The night went very well, with our usual eclectic mix of rock, pop, disco and party bangers until the very last song of the night when one half of the pub got a bit “flighty”.  Our singer had just finished his kazoo solo in “I’ve had the the time of my life” (yes, really) and suddenly what seemed like a 15 to 20 person brawl started. Tables and chair knocked over, glasses being thrown. Apparently the doorman noticed someone getting shirty, who took offence at said doorman trying to calm him down, so pushed him into someone else and it all got a bit tasty. Blokes and women all getting involved. Finished the song, lights came on, police called and abandoned any thought of doing an encore!

Oh and Punk IPA £6.50 a pint!

Other than that, it was a decent gig. 

• Sad 3

44 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Oh and Punk IPA £6.50 a pint!

Not wanting to trivialise what happened but that might cause most people up here to kick-off!

Seriously though, that puts my gigging problems into perspective! We’ve had the odd drunk but they are mostly peaceful.