Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Saturday 9/24, 5-8pm, 
She's Right - I'm Left LIVE at The Harley MOTOR Bar & Restaurant in Milwaukee!

1. Easy load in and out

2. 20 minutes travel

3. Professional Staff ( they know how to treat bands )

4. Upscale clientele

5. Above average pay

6. Comped food & drinks

7. We were pretty good tonight.

Blue

1664072960419~2.jpg

20220924_161100.jpg

So jealous. Would love to visit the museum let alone play it. Nice one Blue.

Dave

• Like 1

C

8 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

We played a set at the UK Country Music awards. Short and sweet, as there were numerous acts on the bill, interspersed with some talking and eating and general awarding. 

Really friendly and helpful crew and there was no chicken wire in place, so it was obviously a civilised crowd.

We played well and got some positive reponses from the audience, which was nice, as we're more geared to Americana, than straight country, although I've no idea what the difference is really.

Anyway, the band's called Fine Lines, just so I don't get shouted at.

20220924_170417.jpg

IMG-20220924-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20220924-WA0001.jpg

Country Music Awards and not a Stetson in sight! 😉

• Like 1

Dep job on lead guitar with a rock’n’roll band I’ve played with quite a bit. 40 mile drive to BL’s house, transferred my kit to his van, and another hour and a quarter to the venue. Except there’s a carnival and the street is closed. Carnival marshalls’ local knowledge plus satnav got us into the back gate, whence it was a 100yds carry and 2 flights of steps down to the ‘stage area’. Knackered already!

The gig itself went fine until I started Crazy Little Thing Called Love, which the BL’s missus normally sings - but she’s home sick and there is a dep rhythm guitarist. He’s very good, playing intelligently so that we stay out of each other’s way. BL managed the song and we all had a laugh.

Usual challenge of loading out through a crowd of p!ssed-up punters, although this time a shorter carry to the front door. Tried to snooze in the van on the way back, which was a mistake as this morning I feel like I’ve been beaten up.

Rehearsal tonight (different band) for an unpaid party gig for the birthday party of a member’s missus. Rehearsal room is up three flights of stairs and along some corridors, but all the kit goes up in a goods lift. Could do without it tbh.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Angelus said:

Kinda weird when no one dances for the first set, as some people caught up after 30 years on seeing each other.

This used to be a rule in a lot of the social clubs I used to play in the 90s. No dancing in the first half, strictly enforced. I agree its weird. All the acts adjusted their sets to play the less 'dancey' stuff first.

• Like 2

Dep gig with a band called 'Gettin Even' last night. I was in Gettin Even when it was a duo way back in the mists of time (about 25 years ago). I depped with them a few weeks ago when it was a trio with singer, singer/guitarist and backing tracks. Last night there was me depping on bass, the drummer from my other band depping on drums and the singer/guitarist. It was ok - the audience were of advanced age but loved the more modern, rocky stuff. Dancing was reserved for the rock 'n' roll and bluesy songs. At half time the Ent Sec came in and told us we could turn up! In more than 30 years of playing that's the first time I've been told that.

I used my short scale Gretsch Electromatic through a Zoom B1-4 (just giving me a basic compressor sound, a chorus patch and a slightly phased driven patch) into my Peavey MiniMax and out through a Warwick 10" cab and my TE 10" cab. First live outing for the Gretsch - sound was a bit woolly but nice to play. IEM for vocals and to help manage the onstage sound. 

DSCG9439-1.thumb.jpg.d57cdc2409e776b2e9c8df9390399e5c.jpg

DSCG9443-1.thumb.jpg.13991cc02c323f5ea10a969b358b3809.jpg

Edited by Franticsmurf
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Elton John tribute gig at Kings Hall in Ilkley last night. Had a fantastic time! Good crowd, cool venue. Result 👍

EAE5D048-C639-4F4C-98C8-0433897FF052.jpeg

Elton John tribute would be a great band to play in. Love playing Elton classics. Bass lines are usually nice to play and more to them than you first think.

We do Sat Night's Alright and i just love playing that song, probably one of my favs in the set.

Nice one.

Some live vids would be nice to see and hear the band or a link to your band FB page if available.

Dave

• Like 3

A wedding gig with the originals band. This one down south in the New Forest. Another wedding I should say as I was with them way oop north in a marquee last week as well.

Odd booking a band for a party when no one will know any of the songs. And sure enough the only dancing to happen happened when we played the couple of covers in the set.

I shouldn't complain, I got paid and it was an early start so I was home by 9.45pm. But it goes against my grain to have a captive audience, up for a good time, and not give them what they want. 

IMG_20220924_162504.thumb.jpg.02f0bb247fbd4f2d96f5ad6881079299.jpg

Used a mixed rig of Barefaced, Ashdown and Bugera with Reverend basses, and no effects.

The Bugera is the one with the tube pre and I'm starting to come to terms with it. The gain, volume and master controls threw me at first. I realise now the first volume knob after the gain allows me to hammer the gain into distortion, while keeping the volume down and allowing me to use the master for overall volume. 

Oh and the compressor on this amp is one of the best I've ever used.

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Some live vids would be nice to see and hear the band or a link to your band FB page if available.

Dave

Here you go Dave - the FB page is here. There’s a couple of showreels on there which gives an idea.

You’re 100% right tho - there’s some ace bass lines in there (quite a lot of which aren’t what you’d expect at first, but learned right they really lift the songs.)

Thoroughly enjoy it. 

https://m.facebook.com/imstillstandingtour/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

A wedding gig with the originals band. This one down south in the New Forest. Another wedding I should say as I was with them way oop north in a marquee last week as well.

Odd booking a band for a party when no one will know any of the songs. And sure enough the only dancing to happen happened when we played the couple of covers in the set.

I shouldn't complain, I got paid and it was an early start so I was home by 9.45pm. But it goes against my grain to have a captive audience, up for a good time, and not give them what they want. 

IMG_20220924_162504.thumb.jpg.02f0bb247fbd4f2d96f5ad6881079299.jpg

Used a mixed rig of Barefaced, Ashdown and Bugera with Reverend basses, and no effects.

The Bugera is the one with the tube pre and I'm starting to come to terms with it. The gain, volume and master controls threw me at first. I realise now the first volume knob after the gain allows me to hammer the gain into distortion, while keeping the volume down and allowing me to use the master for overall volume. 

Oh and the compressor on this amp is one of the best I've ever used.

Loving the Reverend basses Stew. Am going to have to investigate them soon.

On 24/09/2022 at 03:14, Paul S said:

My blues rock trio Toredown played at the Shamrock pub in Ipswich last night.  Only tiny but our favourite place to play, with slight uncertainty as it was the first time since a change of ownership.  A lot of people came just to see us and a lot of new people stayed to watch us - we played very well, went down brilliantly, loads of the new faces came up at the end - has to be one of the most enjoyable gigs I've ever had.  Guitarist Alan feeds on this and his playing was incandescent :)  New owners loved us and asked if we could play there every month.  We don't think we should or could but certainly we'll play there more regularly.  A12 shut on the way home, diverted through country lanes, home at 2am, but it couldn't take the shine off the night really. :) 

I'm glad the new owners are keeping the live music model.

Over here in the States a change of ownership is usually the kiss of death to live music.

Blue

• Like 1

Not the most amazing one for us last night. The White Line (for you 'tell us your band' folks) played a pub on the beach. To practically nobody. Oh well.

The rig was my trusty G&L L2000 into a Shure Wireless>TC MojoMojo>Sansamp Paradriver V2. I was right by the pa in a tiny room so I put a tiny amount of 120Hz up (as that's where our sub crosses over so it kind of felt like a decent guess) in the singer's wedge and left my stage stuff in the car.

307484499_6243808422301476_3381895883133868909_n.jpg

• Like 8