Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

I had two gigs this weekend, which is very rare for me, as I'm normally a two-a-month sort of person.

Friday night was at The Stag in Ascot. I've played there a few times before with a previous band. It's always a bit quiet for the first set, but usually we get a fairly decent contingent of happy dancing punters for the second set. This time, they were much more restrained, and only really danced for the last couple of songs. Ah well, these things happen. I don't think it was through any fault of ours. The landlord did ask us to turn down a bit at half time, as they were struggling to hear orders at the bar, so I understand his concern.

Second gig was this afternoon at Park Live. Haven't done an outdoor festival gig for a while! A fairly sedate and seated crowd who kept some distance from the stage, but we did get a gaggle of them up and dancing for a handful of songs, which was great. Having a dedicated sound engineer and monitor engineer was a luxury that I don't usually get, and it really does make a big difference. And I bumped into our own @Happy Jack who was also playing!

S.P.

• Like 5

Third gig of the weekend successfully completed - with Frankin's Tower again, at the Oxford City Music Festival. Single set, so no holding back. Great ride home on the bike down dark country roads, the only way to survive is to have 100% concentration on whatever is in the beam of the headlight. Not unlike playing material that is always changing, really.

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 27/08/2022 at 03:18, FinnDave said:

Played a pub gig with Franklin's Tower last night. It always interests me to see how the music of the Grateful Dead goes down to an audience unfamiliar with it. It was at my local pub, so there were quite a few people there who turned out to see me play (for some reason!), locals out for a meal and/or drink and one or two Deadheads who'd come just to see us. 

It was an outdoor gig in a marquee, which works well for us. We need to work on our set length, though - the first 'short' set lasted an hour and half, so break between sets was taken up deciding which songs to drop. We still managed nearly an hour and half for the second set, though. I was almost asleep by the end, running on automatic. 

People told us they'd enjoyed it, which was nice of them. The band usually plays for free or for a drink at most, so they were amazed that we were well paid. I'd arranged the gig, and I don't like playing for nothing unless it is for a genuine charity.

Overall, a good start to the weekend. I have a gig in Swindon this afternoon with The Wirebirds, and another in Oxford tomorrow with Franklins Tower again. I am not planning to do very much on Monday!

Hi Dave,

How are you doing?

We added Althea to our set list.

Sounds cool. I hold a strong position on playing for free. I really don't think playing for free applies to established gigging bands.

With the investment our band has put into sound and lighting playing for free is not an option or even a thought.

While I'm up there playing and grinning, I also want a little money in my pocket.

Plus I've never seen any of these " I don't want or need the money" guys turn the money down.

Blue

On 27/08/2022 at 03:18, FinnDave said:

Played a pub gig with Franklin's Tower last night. It always interests me to see how the music of the Grateful Dead goes down to an audience unfamiliar with it. It was at my local pub, so there were quite a few people there who turned out to see me play (for some reason!), locals out for a meal and/or drink and one or two Deadheads who'd come just to see us. 

It was an outdoor gig in a marquee, which works well for us. We need to work on our set length, though - the first 'short' set lasted an hour and half, so break between sets was taken up deciding which songs to drop. We still managed nearly an hour and half for the second set, though. I was almost asleep by the end, running on automatic. 

People told us they'd enjoyed it, which was nice of them. The band usually plays for free or for a drink at most, so they were amazed that we were well paid. I'd arranged the gig, and I don't like playing for nothing unless it is for a genuine charity.

Overall, a good start to the weekend. I have a gig in Swindon this afternoon with The Wirebirds, and another in Oxford tomorrow with Franklins Tower again. I am not planning to do very much on Monday!

Hi Dave,

How are you doing?

Sounds cool. I hold a strong position on playing for free. I really don't think playing for free applies to established gigging bands.

With the investment our band has put into sound and lighting playing for free is not an option or even a thought.

While I'm up there playing and grinning, I also want a little money in my pocket.

Plus I've never seen any of these " I don't want or need the money" guys turn the money down.

Blue

Maple Road

This Sunday 1:00- 4:00
St. Agnes Parish Festival
Butler WI

This was a big tent event.

Ok, we used a dep drummer and it showed. Songs we're played too fast and we had allot of sloppy intros and endings.

It was a long gig. I felt bad it was so humid by the last set I had to play sitting on a bar stool and they put a fan in front of me. Very embarrassing for me. Guys, see what can happen when your twice the age of everyone in the band.

4 hours with one 20 minute break. Remember when I was bragging about no more 4 hour gigs? 😒

Well, that's the story guys.

Blue

IMG_20220721_204856.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Hi Dave,

How are you doing?

Blue

Hi Blue  Doing OK, hope you are too. 

We played Althea last Friday, first time in quite a while. It was in the second set so about 2 1/2 hours into the gig - that lovely slow rhythm almost sent me to sleep, I was just swaying along with my eyes closed and just zoned out. Don't think anyone noticed, but it was a shock to realise I had been 'out' for a short time.

Franklin's Tower usually play for free, it just seems to be something of a tradition with bands in Oxford. Last night was typical - a two or three day 'festival' that was basically just about every band in the city playing a 40 minute set at (for once) a decent venue. The bands didn't get a penny, not even a free drink, though they were taking money on the door. I don't think there were many paying customers, though - virtually everybody in the audience was wait there turn to play!

The Saturday gig with The Wirebirds (now a three piece) was a freebie as well, but that was a fund raiser for a local chap, and run by people we trust. We did get free food and drink, plus the promise of a paid gig at the that venue in the future. We played a similar event there a few years ago, and did get  another booking on the back of it. It worked for us, as we are still breaking on our new drummer, and we didn't have to pay for a rehearsal room.

I had booked the Friday gig with the Franklins, and they were all amazed and delighted to get not only free drinks but a decent payout at the end. And yes, as you say, none of the 'we only play for free' guys said no to the money!

I enjoy the music too much to leave the Franklins right now, and it was easier yesterday as I had my bass taken there by one of the guitarists so I didn't need to drive into town and look for a parking space - just rode in on my motorcycle and parked beside the venue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hr gig with a 20 min break. Bloomin heck !!!!!!

I simply couldn't do that. My fingers would be shredded. I manage a 3 hr set on occasion with Glam band because i dont play as hard with my fingers but 4 is out of my league.

Huge respect @Bluewine

I'm a member of a band that has refused money for a gig. Just after pandemic we were asked to play a larger venue on a Sun afternoon 1-3pm. We turned up (punk band) and the venue was almost empty. Most of the people there were people that knew the band from that local area and had come along. The owner had laid on food and free drinks etc. At the end of the gig the owner who was really happy with the band gave us the fee and the band had already discussed just take enough to cover fuel cost but the owner wouldn't have it and insisted we take the full fee. A deal's a deal they said. The Sun afternoon thing was a new venture to see if they could start pulling in a crowd on a Sun afternoon. We were the first band to try it and he was aware that it was going to be a risk.

Also played 2 free gigs after the pandemic for 2 venues the band play regularly as a helping hand to get them back up and running. 2 small bar venues that were struggling to get people back in again. It was agreed before i joined the band but i was ok with it at the time.

Not sure i'd be doing it again. Those were unusual times.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 4

Two gigs this weekend. Headlined a festival in North Somerset on Saturday and a wedding last night just outside of Bristol.

The festival was brilliant. Extremely well oiled crowd (it was a cider festival as well as a music festival) and they were so up for it.

Wedding was a different band, and while more bijou affair, they enjoyed themselves equally well.

Had the fun of a song I wasn't expecting and didn't know in the second set, but I scribbled some chords in the break and all went well.

• Like 9

On 28/08/2022 at 10:00, King Tut said:

First gig with the new Verity (Argent) Bromham (Stray) band yesterday at The Colne Festival  in the Municipal Theatre. Well organised apart from road access to the venue - “no you can’t drive down here straight to the venue, you’ll have to wind your way through that warren of backstreets where there’s hardly anywhere to park”! Once in organisation was great, sound guys knew their stuff and there was an SVT Pro and 8x10. I elected to use my own head (Bugera) with the house cab. We did a set of Classic Rock Covers - not really stuff I would’ve picked but the crowd loved it nonetheless. We were then entertained outside by a 16 year old lad chucking up into a biffa bin and a classy young lady being arrested by the feds for lamping someone. And this was at half five in the afternoon - dread to think what it’s like at chucking out time!. The day was ended with a visit to the best chippy in town and a long drive home. Oh yeah, had a dressing room visit from a chap who delivered a guitar to John Verity, turned out to be Trev Wilkinson of Wilkinson Pickups. For those who are into watches he was wearing a Daytona that he managed to get new from an AD who’s a mate of his, lucky git. He’s a smashing bloke by the way, really friendly!

Saw your set and was very impressed! Would definitely come and see the band again.

The setup was music for the young un's at the far ends which made walking to the taxi rank at 1:00am 'entertaining'.

Overall we hade a great time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Hi Blue  Doing OK, hope you are too. 

We played Althea last Friday, first time in quite a while. It was in the second set so about 2 1/2 hours into the gig - that lovely slow rhythm almost sent me to sleep, I was just swaying along with my eyes closed and just zoned out. Don't think anyone noticed, but it was a shock to realise I had been 'out' for a short time.

Franklin's Tower usually play for free, it just seems to be something of a tradition with bands in Oxford. Last night was typical - a two or three day 'festival' that was basically just about every band in the city playing a 40 minute set at (for once) a decent venue. The bands didn't get a penny, not even a free drink, though they were taking money on the door. I don't think there were many paying customers, though - virtually everybody in the audience was wait there turn to play!

The Saturday gig with The Wirebirds (now a three piece) was a freebie as well, but that was a fund raiser for a local chap, and run by people we trust. We did get free food and drink, plus the promise of a paid gig at the that venue in the future. We played a similar event there a few years ago, and did get  another booking on the back of it. It worked for us, as we are still breaking on our new drummer, and we didn't have to pay for a rehearsal room.

I had booked the Friday gig with the Franklins, and they were all amazed and delighted to get not only free drinks but a decent payout at the end. And yes, as you say, none of the 'we only play for free' guys said no to the money!

I enjoy the music too much to leave the Franklins right now, and it was easier yesterday as I had my bass taken there by one of the guitarists so I didn't need to drive into town and look for a parking space - just rode in on my motorcycle and parked beside the venue.

Good to hear from you Dave and happy you are doing ok. I'm hoping to get a clean bill of health in October.

Unfortunately I'm one of those guys that is dependent on gig money. My refrigerator died last week. If it weren't for gig money I wouldn't have been able to replace it and buy a new one. Not the best situation to be in.

Pic is from load in yesterday.

Stay in touch.

Blue

20220828_142646~2.jpg

20220828_142628~2.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Saw your set and was very impressed! Would definitely come and see the band again.

The setup was music for the young un's at the far ends which made walking to the taxi rank at 1:00am 'entertaining'.

Overall we hade a great time.

Thanks Fella! Come say hi if you do!

We played Friday night at Cottingham Folk Festival. New Model Army were the headline and I'm pretty sure it was sold out. It sounded like plenty of people were there for us, judging by the volume of the choruses from the crowds. I can't find a decent photo but Cottingham Folk Festival put a video up on Facebook, hopefully that'll work..

https://fb.watch/fdvjaQGUQA/

• Like 3

Really long gigs seem to be a pretty standard US thing.

I played on the USAF bases in Spain in the late '70's and the resident band were contracted to play 6 nights a week (in the same venue)

Mon - Fri it was 5 x 45 minute slots per night......

And then, as a special treat on the Saturday night, it was 6 x 45 minute slots............

I really don't know how my fingers survived - must have played about 25,000 notes each night ................  :sad:

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

I can't be the only one who's first thought was 'not even toilet break'? 😀

Lol. I had to cut While My Guitar short on Saturday coz if I didn’t go RIGHT THEN I’d be ringing the wife for emergency trousers. At my age: always go just before you start playing. Or leave the house. Or leave anywhere that has a toilet.

And don’t forget to put your ear plugs in and take your wrist supports off.

Rock n Roll!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

Really long gigs seem to be a pretty standard US thing.

I played on the USAF bases in Spain in the late '70's and the resident band were contracted to play 6 nights a week (in the same venue)

Mon - Fri it was 5 x 45 minute slots per night......

And then, as a special treat on the Saturday night, it was 6 x 45 minute slots............

I really don't know how my fingers survived - must have played about 25,000 notes each night ................  :sad:

Bloody hell! Good work fella. That’s some serious playing time. 3 1/2 hours on Saturday left me unable to use my middle finger right hand until today!

• Like 1

6 Gigs this weekend, 1 friday, 2 saturday, 3 sunday... I earned, and learned. All bar 1 were 2hrs onstage. Only one  concert was a bit Kak.

Monday I did nothing out of fatigue, and now I think I'm coming down with a cold (Sneezy, Teary, Achey).

3 coming this weekend. 

Now back to the books, one song to learn (Miley Cyrus/Stevie Nicks Mashup) and I've been asked to get my 6 String Bass out because a few synth tunes are coming into the set.

I am tired.

• Like 5

August 26th:
This evening we played at a new venue for us, just south of Stockport. The evening was slightly marred by me getting yet another migraine, just before we were due on stage. Three Zapains and 15 minutes in my car in the dark sorted it out so that I could play. There was a short panic when I rooted through my pockets and found empty pill-strips. I thought I'd taken all of my tablets and had none with me to use, but it all worked out. We stuck to the crowd-pleasers. Although there were a lot of their regulars missing, because of holidays and such, we went down a treat with those who were there. One of the more involved crowds we've had for a short while. Back there in November and hoping to break into the pub chain that has that venue.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

August 27th:
The evening saw us at one of our regular venues in Leigh. The PA was overly bassy and boomy - even just with recorded music with a flat EQ on the player and bass rolled right off on the PA - and I ended up having complete nightmares with my bass sound. I practically had it on nothing for a lot of the second half.

We usually invoke what I call 'The C**t Code' when someone in the crowd falls into the gear. We stop dead on any disruption. Of course, there was the inevitable whizzed-up bald guy. You know the type, big stupid grin, shaved head, trying to take over the show from the band, who inadvertently turn into their backing. Yeah, he's the one.... The punters usually give up and move on, not that the prat ever notices. He had probably been drinking all day and was idiot dancing wildly in front of us to impress all the punters in the pub (he failed miserably - they all thought he was making a total c*ck of himself).

We knew it was coming. He fell into my mic, so I stuck my bass sharply into the back of his head and shoved him roughly away. So... out comes the code... I announced the next song as the last one - and so it was. The crowd were just limp. The sound had been too much of a problem for us and we were glad to stop and get out a little earlier than expected.

The prat came up to me as we were putting the gear near the exit and slurred incoherently at me (probably to ask if we were doing any more, so he could carry on his grisly cabaret), so I told him about the C**t Code and thanked him for saving us 20 minutes playing time. He just looked confused. Take the money and run, I say.

August 28th:
The jam night in the evening started late, as the Christening function in our venue didn't want to stop. It's good that they were having such a good time. They carried on until the jam night punters started pouring in through the door around 7pm. We were a number of the usual players down, but you might not have been able to tell that on the night. We made the best of the players that we had and I ended up singing a few songs and had some surprise help which was nice.

August 29th:
Bank Holiday Monday.

I walked the dogs then I had a bath and at around 2pm, we set off for a festival, near Blackpool. We were due on at 5, so we got there around 3pm and met up to spend time with our drummer and his wife. We were asked if we could go on a bit earlier as the band before us had rather a lot of a mishap with their guitarist failing to turn up, so they didn't play. We were asked to cover their spot for an increased fee. When our guitarist Ian arrived, we hustled onto the stage and played a longer-than-expected set. We went down really well and we look pretty certain to be doing it again this time next year. Lots of compliments from audience members and other musicians, as well as the organisers. A day well spent.  Nice that my wife managed to come along for this afternoon, as she is struggling with quite a lot of severe abdominal pain and is struggling to eat or drink at present.

Edited by 12stringbassist
  • Like 5

Our seven piece swing/Dixie band finally played our first gig since the start of Covid and it was touch and go until the last minute due to the drummer's wife being very sick with Covid, luckily he tested OK in the afternoon so we could play. Not a big audience but the consensus was that the band was "on" and I think it was our best gig so far, everyone was ready to play and the sound was great. I used my Shen SB100 with a Boss wireless and a Schatten Design preamp(volume control only) straight into our Bose PA and I play the tenor banjo for the Dixie set.

As usual we did two swing sets and then I switch to banjo and a sax player covers the bass parts on Bari sax and we play a Dixieland/trad set that always goes over well, lots of fun with various mutes, trombone glisses, drum solos and screaming clarinet parts...love it!

Almost two months to the next gig but it's great to be back.😊

P1050397.jpg

Edited by Staggering on
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On Bank Holiday Monday the covers band took part in a charity festival at a local pub. It was to raise money for the local Air Ambulance. 
It was the first time our newish drummer, Guido, had taken part in such an event. The multi-band setup requiring quick turn-arounds, no sound-checks and borrowed kit freaked him out a bit. I think he got used to a much more leisurely, comfortable way of doing things in his native Sicily! Not to mention the dusty trailer soiling his immaculate jeans 😆. He did well, though.

Hopefully plenty of money was raised. The flying blood wagon does a lot of business around here, what with the outdoor activities of the Peak District and the  motorcycle hot-spots.

CE22DFF1-D2ED-4C87-B7B7-057CE019B33C.jpeg

• Like 6

Did live sound to help a friend out.

First time in a decade doing live sound for someone other than my band!

Desk was a soundcraft ui24r, perfectly nice bit of kit, not a brilliant ui but ok. Never used one before, so a bit in at the deep end. I thought he was going to bring his Midas Pro 1 though, bah humbug! 

Band is a Stones tribute band so drums, 2 guitars, bass, vocal, bvs.

Sound checked in 30 minutes. 

Had a blast. Apparently best on stage sound they've had, which is nice.

Oh and the punters reckoned it was the best band with the best sound they've had in the venue ever.

Pretty chuffed really, guess I've still got it then 🙂 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1