Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Set up in the afternoon with a soundcheck, went home for some tea and a kip. went to switch my amp on half hour before we start and its dead, no time to look at it or or organise something else, i had to go through the PA with no monitor, i couldn't hear a thing. everyone said it was ok though., me not got earache of my Mrs because i didn't book a taxi like the rest of the band and they were all booked up and had to walk the mile and a bit home. now sober, good start to a new year.

I could not be arsed with it all tonight but got to sing Hotel California and walk away with a suitcase full of money for my efforts. Ok not quite a suitcase but a decent amount of cash for minimal efforts.

Cannae be arsed with this time of year, everything seems to stop and go tits for arse

Four of us squeezed onto a tiny stage in a pub in North London, a bit of a throw together of musicians from different bands doing old standards to pissed up people who only wanted Johnny B Good and Sweet Home Alabama :) Still, had the chance to play with a great drummer who actually played on a record I bought as a kid!! :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjHBgrVBrNI&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjHBgrVBrNI...feature=related[/url]

Edited by Hobbayne

Lion Brewery in Ash, nr Aldershot, small pub and stage, pretty rammed. 1st set went well, got to last 2 songs (Born to Run and The Chain) and it all starts to kick off nicely. Went for some buffet munchies and came back for 1/2 hour bash before midnight. Started with Livin on a Prayer by good old Jovi and that was it, dancing mayhem all round, rocked up Auld Lang Syne as you do and played a few more throwing in some good old standards and eventually finished about 2.30am! Cracking night, bed and brekkie at the pub so was able to neck a Guinness or eight! Oh yeah.......got paid too!

Happy New Year!

Social club last night in Newport Pagnell. Good crowd, up all night (that surprised us).
4 x 45 min sets. Thats a lot but the time passed pretty quickly so we didnt mind too much, and the pay was good.

Only downside was i had the wrong neck on my Squier CVP so struggled a bit. I normally have a Jazz neck on it but i've been experimenting recently and forgot to swap them back.
Also first time ive used the CV P with Chromes on AND my BDDI. Tone made in Heaven.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='barneyg42' post='1074369' date='Jan 1 2011, 01:59 PM']Lion Brewery in Ash, nr Aldershot, small pub and stage, pretty rammed. 1st set went well, got to last 2 songs (Born to Run and The Chain) and it all starts to kick off nicely. Went for some buffet munchies and came back for 1/2 hour bash before midnight. Started with Livin on a Prayer by good old Jovi and that was it, dancing mayhem all round, rocked up Auld Lang Syne as you do and played a few more throwing in some good old standards and eventually finished about 2.30am! Cracking night, bed and brekkie at the pub so was able to neck a Guinness or eight! Oh yeah.......got paid too!

Happy New Year![/quote]Sound as a pound. :)

Another church-type event.

Saw in the New Year at Michael-House Cafe in Cambridge with the church and the P&W band. Much food and merriment was had at the chiming in of the New Year etc. Nice glass of bubbly then packed down and pootled back to the car with the trolley and all my gear (just took the Line 6 combo with me, but a fair distance from the car to the venue)

Good times! Roll on the rest of 2011 in the same vein, please!!!

Ian

New Years Day at Earls, Maidstone and a new gig for us.
I thought we blew a few cobwebs away but I think a sat night after NY's eve can go either way so was pleased with the crowd.
A few hitches with the house PA but we'll get past that and I am sure we'll get returns in a very popluar music pub.
Probably one of the best places to play round here as a waiting list of 900 plus bands on the rosta may attest...:) :)

A very nice evening..I think the pub has the right kind of vibe for music.

New venue for us, The Last Orders, Swinton (Manchester-ish).
1st of the year, massively enjoyable, return booked in Sept, our 1st available date.
Great audience who were up at it for some classic old rock stuff.

Even more enjoyable for me, as I gigged my new to me P. I set it up, action, intonation the lot. 1st time I've ever done that and it felt and sounded great.
Also did some settings change on my amp, that I had seen in passing here, and that sounded awesome :) .

Lovely night, still smiling, despite the Toon's best efforts!
Karl.

We played a big wedding in a nice venue that had a sound limiter. Grrrrrr. A quick explanation for those that aren't familiar with this evil invention... you plug all your gear into to specified (in this case red) power sockets which are controlled by a decibel metre. When you go over 90db, BOOM, all the power is turned off. Yeah, really great for your kit! Anyone else had trouble with these? The ambient noise in the place was around 83-84 decibels and this was just with people chatting, kids playing and people walking on a wooden floor!
We did our best to be as quiet as we could but the drummer completely unmiked (and he doesn't hit that hard) was hitting 90 db.
Thankfully we knew some of the guys at the wedding who kindly shimmied up some rafters and unplugged it after it killed everything during the 4th song. The hole atmosphere of the place just came alive then!

We played in Bristol last night. We had our dep drummer who incredibly did a 1 1/2hr set of original material off the back of 3 rehearsals. He only managed about 3 mistakes which he covered to the extent that nobody in the crowd would have known. [b]Very[/b] impressed.

A photographer was there who took some amazing pictures last time we played there & he said to me afterwards that he'd never seen a bass player so animated as me. I hope that's good?!

[quote name='ukbassboy' post='1083222' date='Jan 9 2011, 03:42 PM']We played a big wedding in a nice venue that had a sound limiter. Grrrrrr. A quick explanation for those that aren't familiar with this evil invention... you plug all your gear into to specified (in this case red) power sockets which are controlled by a decibel metre. When you go over 90db, BOOM, all the power is turned off. Yeah, really great for your kit! Anyone else had trouble with these? The ambient noise in the place was around 83-84 decibels and this was just with people chatting, kids playing and people walking on a wooden floor!
We did our best to be as quiet as we could but the drummer completely unmiked (and he doesn't hit that hard) was hitting 90 db.
Thankfully we knew some of the guys at the wedding who kindly shimmied up some rafters and unplugged it after it killed everything during the 4th song. The hole atmosphere of the place just came alive then![/quote]

And the venue got hit with a huge fine....nice one ;-)

Ive never come across a meter that just cuts you off the moment you hit the limit, you normally have around 7-10 secs or so to get the level out of the red.

Dont get me wrong, i hate them as much as anyone but normally the venue has to install these, and can get a very hefty fine or closed down if they dont so its not a good idea to unplug them IME.

Edited by dave_bass5

Hopefully I can add to this again soon! Back practicing with my old band and they have plenty of tours coming up. Feels good to be home with the lads.

I did play one song for them a week back live on their now 'bassist-turning into guitarist as other guitarist is leaving' Epiphone Thunderbird. What an awful bass! Good fun though, and nice to see they appreciate my playing.

I was asked by two of my band mates to do a couple of songs with them at a gig organised by Paul Jones. My boys had their work cut out as they were accompanying all the guest musicians for two nights. I wasn't at all envious of them at that point.
I got to the Cranleigh Arts Centre at 4pm on the 13th (yesterday) to run through a couple of things. Later on Paul announced in the green room that a special guest was on his way and would be doing a few numbers. Sure enough the guest arrived and stood at the green room door at which point Paul got to his feet to welcome him. I was busy tuning up and generally getting ready, until Paul said, "Eric, I'd like you to meet the guys". I looked up, and sure enough there was Mr Clapton.

The 200 odd punters (sold out both nights) at Cranleigh Arts Centre were in for a treat, and boy did they get a treat. He did 3 numbers, trading solos with the 2 other guitarists and keys player. I stood at the side watching my boys on stage with "Mr Slowhand" himself...now I was envious :)

Gotta say, Eric played and sung great, and was obviously having a ball, and the whole band were tremendous.
I got up and did my stint a little later which included a slightly heavier version of Mighty Quinn than Paul will have been used too, but he did great as did Robert Hart who shared the vocals.
A great and unforgettable night was had by all.
[url="http://www.whereseric.com/eric-clapton-news/303-eric-clapton-guests-paul-jones-charity-gig"]EC at Cranleigh[/url]

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='ukbassboy' post='1083222' date='Jan 9 2011, 03:42 PM']We played a big wedding in a nice venue that had a sound limiter. Grrrrrr. A quick explanation for those that aren't familiar with this evil invention... you plug all your gear into to specified (in this case red) power sockets which are controlled by a decibel metre. When you go over 90db, BOOM, all the power is turned off. Yeah, really great for your kit! Anyone else had trouble with these? The ambient noise in the place was around 83-84 decibels and this was just with people chatting, kids playing and people walking on a wooden floor!
Thankfully we knew some of the guys at the wedding who kindly shimmied up some rafters and unplugged it after it killed everything during the 4th song. The hole atmosphere of the place just came alive then![/quote]

Yes - We played the Merchant Adventurers' hall in York, which has one of these. A jazz-funk band booked for a wake!
The device cut the power to the band as soon as the drums kicked in at soundcheck. It was promptly unplugged.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='1090652' date='Jan 15 2011, 05:19 PM']That sounds like a truly magical evening, I must admit to feeling rather jealous reading your account of it![/quote]
Yeah, it's not too often that you get to share a changing room with "God". :)
For all you younger members [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clapton-God-Various-Artists/dp/B000S6EYN0"]God[/url]

Interesting gig tonight. It was my first with this band (I was recently brought in as a replacement bass player) - Glam Rock stuff. We had a practice on Monday to load up with Bowie, T Rex, Sweet & Slade mojo, then gig this evening (smallish pub). Lineup is drums, bass, lead guitar and singer who plays acoustic guitar when necessary.
Turned up for the gig to learn that the guitarist is projectile vomiting at home, but we're going to do the gig anyway! Some hasty setlist reshuffling, quick soundcheck, on with the sequins and onto stage.
The fun bit for me was that I had to fill out the sound considerably, so was given free reign to 'stretch my legs' and play some busier stuff without it interfering with the groove.
There were some slightly baron moments, but no train wrecks and we ended up doing two encores! The landlord was happy, and we got to split the cash three ways! Super.
Maybe I'll buy the guitarist some grapes or something :)

First gig with the Great Gramma pad , and it made a big difference .
Wooden stage that made some notes sound quite choice (played here a few times before) , but with the cab on the pad it was all cookin' .
Must say I was a bit sceptical at first when I bought it sight unseen having never tried one before , but I'm doing every gig with this from now on - great bit of kit .
Good gig also - always a bonus .

Bit late updating my last gig 'cos it was on Wednesday evening (I've been busy!!!! :))

Played at a church-organised event in Cambridge at St. Barnabas church, and it were packed - must have been around 200 people (it's probably the largest audience I've played in front of...ever). Surprised it didn't freak me out - just got on with the playing, and it was all good.

Took both basses just in case we did something outside of the usual tuning, but ended up staying with the Ibanez for the duration. Only downside was getting to the gig - it's in the middle of Cambridge - so I elected to just take my dinky Line 6 combo. Lesson learnt. Venue needs a more 'appropriate' level of PA and bass amplification, so I'll probably use my 1x15 and/or the 4x10 next time. I noticed the house bassist has an Eden rig (looked like a 2x12 - pity I couldn't use it!)

All-in-all it was a great night, played two sets, and generally knocked their socks off - everybody got up and danced and did whatever during the second set - it was mad heavin' :)

Still could do with an active bass, the Cort's still on the list for this year, once my job has settled down a bit. This venue would have been the perfect place to give it the beans.

Keep rockin'
Ian

1st gig with new band - playing rocky end of Dylan, Neil Young, Springsteen etc. Modest but very enthusiastic pub crowd (The Terminus, Hailsham) - the band is fairly well known in this pub so it was definitely a home fixture. Couple of wobbly moments - Tambourine Man in a new key and without the comfort of my 5 string for a low D - it just wouldn't sit right under my fingers! And the Frankenstein cab isn't quite right yet - looks like I will need to port and possibly brace a bit more - sounded lovely at low volume. Fortunately I had my regular cab with me as well and that was more than enough.

Played a short set at Hertford Corn Exchange last night.

Bit of a nerve wracking one, but that actually made it all the more enjoyable.

Met the guitarist/singer for the very first time just ten minutes before playing. We had a quick chat decided on six numbers, tuned up and straight in to it.

It was surprisingly ok, a few mistakes but nothing that derailed things too badly, I got slightly lost in the solo of Take it Easy and forgot to the change to D in Use Somebody. Probably the musos in the audience noticed but the hundred or so dancing punters probably didn't.

The sound man at the desk was a bit caught out by my G&L, the sound levels had been set for the previous band whose bassist was playing a fender jazz (a very nice one), the G&L although also a passive bass, is just so loud.

It was a treat playing with proper monitors and some decent lighting, all in all most enjoyable and makes me realise that I must get out gigging more.

First gig for a long time last night.
From my side of the stage it was pretty good, a couple of fluffed notes due to nerves but nothing serious. On the opposite side of the stage it was a different story. 3/4 of the way through our 4th song the guitar went very quiet. Me, the drummer and vocalist finished the song whilst the guitarist messed with pedals and cables.
But things were terminal for his 15w Laney valve combo, looks like a valve blew. The guitarist from the support band ran off to his car and brought back his amp and cab so we could finish our set. Which made up for the fact the bassist turned up without his rig...

Gigged in a new venue last night. Made the mistake of turning up after the guitartist and drummer who nicked the only parking spots and left me about half a square foot on stage!

I was setup next to something like a BBQ that stank of old roast dinners which was a distraction. Audience were very attentive though and after the gig a guy accosted me in front of the singer and guitartist saying, "You make this band man, you were excellent". He then turned, looked at the guitartist said nothing and walked off. Guitarist very pissed off.