Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Good one last night. Busy pub - importantly easy to get gear inside and out and parked right outside! Tone was great although the stage area was a bit loud. We had a debut for our new lighting system which really added something to the visual side of things. Now off to take doggy for walk by the river.

Had a really enjoyable gig last night at Bollington Arts Centre near Macclesfield - a small but very nice theatre in a lovely village. It was really well organised and the room was full and set out cafe-style. We had a local support band called The Visitors who played their own stuff which was very good.

I doubt if we made any money on it but what the hell, we don't do it for the money. As long as we cover expenses we're happy.

It was my first gig on a 6er and I don't mind telling you a dropped a couple but I suspect only musos noticed :)

Really pleased to see my good mate and fellow BCer russjm turn up to watch - thanks for coming Russ :)

Here's a pic I took while we were setting up...

Edited by niceguyhomer

I [i]knew[/i] it!!

I did a trio gig last night at The Fox Inn in Bury St Edmunds. It was tenor sax, bass and drums. I have played this venue on an off for about three years with different bands and know the landlord and the bloke she uses to book the bands reasonably well. The bloke approached me about putting something together for last night and I asked him if I could do this trio thing as I had wanted to do it for years. He was a bit 'ooooh, Shelia (the landlord) won't like it' but he agreed to let us do it.

Anyway, sorted the line up and set about getting some charts together based on the fact that I would be playing double bass and needed to pace things so I wasn't a spent force at the end of the first (of three) set. Charts done and sent to the sax player and drummer. All set to go when, on Friday at around midnight, I was unloading my double bass from the car and clipped the bridge on the side of the vehicle, causing it to explode into three pieces. So I had to do the gig on electric and most of the charts were inappropriate. I have to admit that I was feeling more than a little nwevous before we started, something that has not happened in decades. So, gieven the forced change of plan, we knocked up three sets of old faithfuls on the day. We were doing funk versions of standards, some hip hop derived stuff (with a hint of reggae), the odd shufffle, some fast 'sh*t off a stick' be-bop, some Latin tunes and a couple of ballads per set. Damned hard work for a trio and a lot of really focussed effort by all involved. More to the point, and herein lied the risk, it demanded something of the listener.

The gig was not only a 'musical/artistic' success but the (hard to please) landlady loved it, the punters loved it and we got an immediate re: booking in June. The clincher though came to me third hand from guy who told me that another regular (who really knows his stuff) said it was 'exceptional' and 'by far the best thing [he] had ever seen there'. It had its flaws and I would do some things differently next time but, for a first gig. it felt like a real affirmation. I have always believed that the punters will respond to the energy and the quality of an intelligent performance and didn't need to be spoon-fed 'smooth jazz' or 'the Great American Songbook' to be engaged. What we did last night was 'commercial suicide' in conventional terms and many venues/bookers would balk at the idea of a 'harmony-less' trio but it nevertheless went down a storm. Left with a very big smile on my face.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1202911' date='Apr 17 2011, 08:15 PM']Had a really enjoyable gig last night at Bollington Arts Centre near Macclesfield - a small but very nice theatre in a lovely village. It was really well organised and the room was full and set out cafe-style. We had a local support band called The Visitors who played their own stuff which was very good.

I doubt if we made any money on it but what the hell, we don't do it for the money. As long as we cover expenses we're happy.

It was my first gig on a 6er and I don't mind telling you a dropped a couple but I suspect only musos noticed :)

Really pleased to see my good mate and fellow BCer russjm turn up to watch - thanks for coming Russ :)

Here's a pic I took while we were setting up...

[/quote]

How did you get on with that boxed in stage sound-wise...? huge boom potential, I'd suggest.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1203293' date='Apr 18 2011, 09:57 AM']I [i]knew[/i] it!!

I did a trio gig last night at The Fox Inn in Bury St Edmunds. It was tenor sax, bass and drums. I have played this venue on an off for about three years with different bands and know the landlord and the bloke she uses to book the bands reasonably well. The bloke approached me about putting something together for last night and I asked him if I could do this trio thing as I had wanted to do it for years. He was a bit 'ooooh, Shelia (the landlord) won't like it' but he agreed to let us do it.

Anyway, sorted the line up and set about getting some charts together based on the fact that I would be playing double bass and needed to pace things so I wasn't a spent force at the end of the first (of three) set. Charts done and sent to the sax player and drummer. All set to go when, on Friday at around midnight, I was unloading my double bass from the car and clipped the bridge on the side of the vehicle, causing it to explode into three pieces. So I had to do the gig on electric and most of the charts were inappropriate. I have to admit that I was feeling more than a little nwevous before we started, something that has not happened in decades. So, gieven the forced change of plan, we knocked up three sets of old faithfuls on the day. We were doing funk versions of standards, some hip hop derived stuff (with a hint of reggae), the odd shufffle, some fast 'sh*t off a stick' be-bop, some Latin tunes and a couple of ballads per set. Damned hard work for a trio and a lot of really focussed effort by all involved. More to the point, and herein lied the risk, it demanded something of the listener.

The gig was not only a 'musical/artistic' success but the (hard to please) landlady loved it, the punters loved it and we got an immediate re: booking in June. The clincher though came to me third hand from guy who told me that another regular (who really knows his stuff) said it was 'exceptional' and 'by far the best thing [he] had ever seen there'. It had its flaws and I would do some things differently next time but, for a first gig. it felt like a real affirmation. I have always believed that the punters will respond to the energy and the quality of an intelligent performance and didn't need to be spoon-fed 'smooth jazz' or 'the Great American Songbook' to be engaged. What we did last night was 'commercial suicide' in conventional terms and many venues/bookers would balk at the idea of a 'harmony-less' trio but it nevertheless went down a storm. Left with a very big smile on my face.[/quote]
Sweet

Let me know when you're over in BSE again, I'm definitely up to coming to the next one.

Ta,
Ian

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1203293' date='Apr 18 2011, 09:57 AM']I have always believed that the [b]punters will respond to the energy and the quality of an intelligent performance[/b] and didn't need to be spoon-fed 'smooth jazz' or 'the Great American Songbook' to be engaged. What we did last night was 'commercial suicide' in conventional terms and many venues/bookers would balk at the idea of a 'harmony-less' trio but it nevertheless went down a storm. Left with a very big smile on my face.[/quote]

Well done Bilbo, sounds great. Totally agree with this, glad it paid off

[quote name='JTUK' post='1203386' date='Apr 18 2011, 11:01 AM']How did you get on with that boxed in stage sound-wise...? huge boom potential, I'd suggest.[/quote]

It was absolutely awful, I couldn't get a decent sound. I DI'd and apparently it sounded ok out front but I don't mind telling you I did a lot of knob twiddling that night.

Just back from Callander, which for those who don't know, is in the middle of nowhere!, an hour and a halfs drive just to get there!...anyways.....

Started off really slow, first few songs in the polite applause started, I looked at the drummer, he looked at me and we gave the old look...uh ho, long night ahead. then everything clicked, the punters got in their groove, so did we and everything went fab, no hiccups to speak off......

Now I need some sleep!

Second gig in 2 nights, a pub that we are regulars at...now, either we are pants, or the holiday weekend took its toll on the punters.
Wasn't as busy as normal so we managed to wrap it up 15 minutes early....yay!
Added another couple of new numbers in the set which went ok, though the usual old classics get the drunks singing...badly...as per norm.
Charity gig tomorrow night, no humphing PA, fab, plug in and play for the win!

just woken up <yawn> :)

Last night gig with the Razors was a Waitrose yearly dinner and dance thing (nice food - yum :)) in Aylesford in Kent; about 100-120 people.

Everyone was up and dancing straight away and we were on top form - I actually felt really relaxed and enjoyed it, had a great time spinning my bass and playing it like a guitar :lol: - bloody hot though and my fingers hurt like hell today after the 3 hour set with steel strings!

I bought a new pickup (Moses Graphite) that I used for the first time and my bass has just had a new set up so there were a lot of changes to my usual set up - i also used my ashdown abm and barefaced for the first time. Interestingly the setup has made my bass more prone to feedback (i.e I get some now!) but only at hugely loud volume - I was running through my amp only and it was still controllable - the tone was deep and rib cage shaking :D

So... just got to unpack the car now and hammer my end pin straight (ooops! bit of over exuberance there - I told you I enjoyed it :P might have to get a tougher one!)

Next Saturday is our regular slot at the Burlesque bar - god it's tough playing rock and roll :lol:

Edited by bob_pickard

Bank holiday weekend in bournemouth and the joint was absolutely banging. Queues to get in all night. Dancing from the off and the band was on form. We (on my prompting) tried a little audience participation song and got them to sing along quite loudly. Great fun - good gig and knackered.

Played at The Met in Bury last night in the studio - room for about 75 seated and it was more or less full. Cracking little venue with a soundman who knew what he was doing. Only downer was the parking tickets we all got for parking where the theatre told us to park. It was a private car park management company so they will be filed under ignore. Great night.

A little pic taken while we were soundchecking..

Late posting, but never mind...

Friday was a repeat appearance at the Grapes in Stafford. Coming up to the end of the first set, just hitting the end section of "Sledgehammer" and the guitar goes silent. I look over and guitarist has taken his Strat off. I assume he's broken a string and carry on, working out whether there's any critical points before the normal end of the song where we can't just do bass/drums/vocals. Carry on to the end and guitarist hasn't put his Les Paul on, and he calls an end to the first set. His amp has died. We try another mains socket and another lead (and then check them and they're definitely giving power). Looks like it's the fuse in his amp (which reminds me, must get some spare T4A fuses...).

The pub is a regular music venue and they happen to have a Peavey combo knocking around, so guitarist sets that up and we set off into the second set. Peavey combo immediately starts doing a Norman Collier impression, stuttering and cutting out like a good 'un. We continue for about another three songs and then call a brief pause, and put the guitar straight into the PA. This means, however, he's got no distortion. We drop a couple of the songs that would sound crap played clean and finish the set. Got paid extra and another couple of dates to be arranged, which was nice.

Lessons learnt - take fuses (now ordered on That Ebay).

We played the Green Man last night.

No pictures of me playing bass :)

I used my Fretless through the Orange Crush 50w.

I also DI'd it into the PA and used the Orange mainly as a monitor.

There were a couple of poorly recorded videos from the crowd.

Not worth posting but the gig was good.

A great crowd and we got paid!

It's all good....... :)

Last nights gig was kind of OK, given the fact that the PA packed up again half way through a song and we all ground to an embarrasing halt. Second gig on the trot this has happened, why on earth we don't get the amp fixed I have no idea.

It was one of those gigs where you are on floor level with the punters, and the bar was rammed. At one point I had 4 punters stood at the side of me chatting to me while I was playing.

Then the normal end of evening Pi**fest where beer is spilt on monitors and you have a dire fear that some knob is going to knock the second bass off it's stand.

Still, can't be all bad. The club owner is giving us a repeat booking every six weeks.

Played the Shooting Star last night with a dep on second guitar.

In the end that made no difference because I couldn't hear anything on stage, and I was quite drunk. :) We went down well, had fun and got paid. So no complaints from me!

:)

Just back from playing a local bar of about 50 people. While the owner likes the mix of classic and alt rock we do, the crowd were less impressed...I've got to admit, I'm a bit demoralized by it all, it seems that we're struggling to find the venues/audience that would appreciate the current setlist we have. Back to that old Mustang Sally debate, I guess...

Anyway, we got paid and my foray into being exclusively DI'd into the PA is working out just fine and dandy. Back to the setlist drawing board...

Played an outdoor gig on Friday. Was a nice way to get more experience for our newer band members.

Went ok, few panics about the weather but it stayed dry. Surprising how much more volume you need to play outside.

Crowd were happier during the evening set than during the afternoon set but I'm thinking a few drinks may have loosened some hips and got people dancing.

Dick Venom & The Terrortones were up in Gateshead at The Central on Saturday for a Meow Club Gig.

Absolutely fantastic. The venue is in a really interesting building and stage while small didn't feel too cramped. The gig organisers were massively enthusiastic - in fact this gig was a rebooking after we had to pull out of our original Meow Club date because our first guitarist had decided to leave the band.

The audience were also up for some Terrortone mayhem, and not afraid to interact with Mr Venom. It sounded pretty good on stage and we played really well. Got called back for a proper encore too! Looks like we'll be invited back for a headlining gig at some point. And we sold a good quantity of merch. All in all well worth the trip up.

There were lots of people with cameras there, so if I can get hold of photographic evidence I'll post it up...

Plus got to meet Basschatter Eight who was a very nice chap too!

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1204365' date='Apr 19 2011, 06:26 AM']It was absolutely awful, I couldn't get a decent sound. I DI'd and apparently it sounded ok out front but I don't mind telling you I did a lot of knob twiddling that night.[/quote]

Placing subs on a hollow stage...... Textbook Error! :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1217592' date='May 2 2011, 02:36 PM']Dick Venom & The Terrortones were up in Gateshead at The Central on Saturday for a Meow Club Gig.

Absolutely fantastic. The venue is in a really interesting building and stage while small didn't feel too cramped. The gig organisers were massively enthusiastic - in fact this gig was a rebooking after we had to pull out of our original Meow Club date because our first guitarist had decided to leave the band.

The audience were also up for some Terrortone mayhem, and not afraid to interact with Mr Venom. It sounded pretty good on stage and we played really well. Got called back for a proper encore too! Looks like we'll be invited back for a headlining gig at some point. And we sold a good quantity of merch. All in all well worth the trip up.

There were lots of people with cameras there, so if I can get hold of photographic evidence I'll post it up...

Plus got to meet Basschatter Eight who was a very nice chap too![/quote]

It was awesome!!!! A great night. I really enjoyed it!!! Thanks :)