Why become a member? ×

Is this the nicest bass ever made ?

edstraker123

[quote name='edstraker123' post='582970' date='Aug 27 2009, 10:19 PM']Thought I'd have a look at Jon Shuker's site this afternoon and came across the 4 string Uberhorn.

I don't think I've ever seen a bass as beautiful as this.

[url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/stock.htm"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/stock.htm[/url]

What do you think ?[/quote]
Not my kind of thing at all. Not even slightly good looking and a long way from beautiful.

And at that price I'd expect the J pickup to have the correct string spacing to be fitted properly.

Judging by the responses seen in this thread I guess if I were a luthier I'd die of starvation because nobody would buy my basses. I consider that 95% of Mr. Shuker work are pieces of art and often I wonder why most bassists cant see beauty beyond Fender. I have nothing against Fender basses, and I fancy the Jazz Bass tone, but the looks and the design are clearly outdated. I mean, come on, its XXI century, time to move on, maybe? Again, nothing against tradition and such, but if I were a luthier I would die of boredom with yet-another-fender-clone order.

I agree that uberhorn with polyester finish might look Ritter inspired and probably I wont choose such a finish for my own bass, but just roll down the page a bit and check the same uberhorn shape with african blackwood... That one is definitely in my top10 most beautiful basses ever.

I'm not particularly keen on the top horn, has an 80's aria/peavey look to me.

Here's a page of tasty stuff for you to cream upon

[url="http://www.ritter-royals.com/instruments-available.php"]http://www.ritter-royals.com/instruments-available.php[/url]
:wub:

Edit: The Stoneage is my personal fave on that page. I just love the old look & the attention to detail is astonishing.

Edited by xgsjx

Normally not my kind of thing but I think he has executed that incredibly well. The maple board really makes it stand out from others of its ilk. Not 100% sure about the wavy line inlay. I always think that with exposed pole pieces, stainless steel dot markers would look great.

To sum up...I like that. A lot.

[quote name='Fraktal' post='583141' date='Aug 28 2009, 02:29 AM']Judging by the responses seen in this thread I guess if I were a luthier I'd die of starvation because nobody would buy my basses. I consider that 95% of Mr. Shuker work are pieces of art and often I wonder why most bassists cant see beauty beyond Fender. I have nothing against Fender basses, and I fancy the Jazz Bass tone, but the looks and the design are clearly outdated. I mean, come on, its XXI century, time to move on, maybe? Again, nothing against tradition and such, but if I were a luthier I would die of boredom with yet-another-fender-clone order.

I agree that uberhorn with polyester finish might look Ritter inspired and probably I wont choose such a finish for my own bass, but just roll down the page a bit and check the same uberhorn shape with african blackwood... That one is definitely in my top10 most beautiful basses ever.[/quote]

So it's not just me ! I agree with your sentiments entirely. It's quite refreshing that a British luthier is trying to push the envelope a bit and do something different.