Why become a member? ×

Is this the nicest bass ever made ?

edstraker123

[quote name='Fraktal' post='583440' date='Aug 28 2009, 12:21 PM']I dont want to start a flame war here, but I think that wasnt an opinion, more like a common sense fact. Lets go back to 1960, when the Jazz Bass was released. Now think about the clothing people used to wear back in those days. Think about 1960 furniture, cars, electrodomestics or anything else. Would you say those designs arent outdated? Would you prefer to use "old-fashioned" as the word here?

The designs of that age (late 50's-early 60's) are outdated from a technical/design/engineering point of view. On the aesthetics side, they are old-fashioned. Some of us may like old stuff, but that doesnt transform it magically into contemporary/new/modern stuff. An opinion would be more like "the Jazz Bass looks crap" and I never said that.

Again, please try to understand that is not my aim to bash Fender, neither trying to impose my personal opinion above anyone's else. Im just saying its a late 50's design.[/quote]

In terms of the number of people that have done it, the Jazz has to be the most cloned instrument in the history of the bass guitar - in fact there are companies out there who've built their reputation making Jazz clones - Sadowsky for example. You don't think there might be a good reason for that? Can't all be old farts buying them...

[quote name='Mikey R' post='584514' date='Aug 29 2009, 02:33 PM']Youre looking at top quality instruments there, individually hand made by a craftsman in Britain. The guy deserves to eat.[/quote]

Really? I think he should starve. :) [/sarcasm]

If Shuker's now charging £2500 for a bass, he's in the big boy league and doesn't have the pedigree, IMO/IME.

Edited by Toasted

[quote name='Toasted' post='584694' date='Aug 29 2009, 07:25 PM']Really? I think he should starve. :) [/sarcasm]

If Shuker's now charging £2500 for a bass, he's in the big boy league and doesn't have the pedigree, IMO/IME.[/quote]

Joe you are like the Russian Police.

Stern, Stern but fair.

[quote name='Toasted' post='584694' date='Aug 29 2009, 07:25 PM']Really? I think he should starve. :) [/sarcasm]

If Shuker's now charging £2500 for a bass, he's in the big boy league and doesn't have the pedigree, IMO/IME.[/quote]

Fair enough opinion - I disagree but thats just me. It may take a while to sell at that price, or it might not, but its up to the buyer to decide. I had a play on the Uberhorn #001, and I think it really is worth every penny. Well engineered, very ergonomic and finely executed.

• 2 weeks later...

The Fretless Uberhorn is a winner for me. I'd love that to be sat next to a really nice little amp in my living room on a stand, just to pick up and noodle on.

I hope he brings that or similar to Bass Day UK this year, i think it's about time i started investring in UK luthiers.

Mr Shuker really is a bloody nice bloke, and i'd like to buy at least one bass from him.

That gold Jazz is a nice bit of kit too.

I can see the comparison to ritters, but i think the ritters are a mess in my humble opinion.