Why become a member? ×

Straplocks!

midgetiser

I've always been a fan of the grolsch bottle seals for my basses but I recently got a stingray and the strap just doesn't like being squeezed into the hard case along with the bass.

Has anyone used "proper" straplocks? Are they any good and easy to fit?

At least with the grolsch tops I know where I stand - They never come off and I know the only time the bass will fall is if the strap itself breaks. Problem is they are a nightmare to take off so taking the strap off every time I put the bass in it's case is going to be too much of a hassle. My strap is a beastly leather number that is perfect for a heavy bass like the stingray but that makes it pretty difficult to fit into the case when attached to the bass.

Anyone got any thoughts?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=53140&hl=strap+locks"]strap lock type thread here[/url]

I use schaller. I've had no problems with them so far. I check the nut to make sure it's tight but have never needed to tighten it.

Edited by alexharvay

Swear by them. Never dropped a bass since I started using them several years ago. Also fit them to my guitars. They are easy to fit (5-10 mins at the outside - only need a small screwdriver and possibly a small spanner depending on the style of lock).

[quote name='gafbass02' post='560408' date='Aug 4 2009, 05:25 PM']Schaller strap locks have been the first thing I've done to new basses for at least 15 years. Won't play a bass out the bedroom without em.[/quote]

Same here although last week, after reading the other straplock thread i got a set of Dunlops. Quite happy with them so far and no loose nut to keep checking on.

[url="http://www.dangleberrymusic.co.uk/p-186-boston-guitar-strap-locks-black-ultrasafe-strap-lock-system-for-guitar-and-bass.aspx"]http://www.dangleberrymusic.co.uk/p-186-bo...r-and-bass.aspx[/url] the best!

I use Schallers, had the Dunlop ones for a while but they worked loose on both my basses and i thought they were quite clumsy. You may need to trim the button hole on your strap a little if it's a thick leather one

At the start of every gig i check the nut is tight on the Schaller as i use a really thick leather strap, otherwise they're maintenance free

[quote name='gafbass02' post='560408' date='Aug 4 2009, 05:25 PM']Schaller strap locks have been the first thing I've done to new basses for at least 15 years. Won't play a bass out the bedroom without em.[/quote]
+1 to above

Edited by jhk

Won't play a bass anywhere without them!
I always buy some with each instrument. The Vigier CAME with them (Schallers) fitted, AND I got the actual locks for the straps, too!
Rob put 3 on the Streamline for me when it was built, and I got the ends as well - again.

I can use any of 3 straps I choose on any bass I own, depnding on how I feel..

I've used straplocks ever since my brand new custom built Jaydee came off the strap and smashed headstock first into the floor - I'd just picked it up from the shop & had been playing it for about 20 minutes when it happened. :)
Luckily the bass was undamaged, which was more than could be said for my underpants.....

I use the Dunlop & the Schaller ones - I prefer the Schaller models as they're not as big & clunky as the Dunlop ones.
Lots of guitars & basses come with the Dunlop compatible buttons as standard - Hamer & Musicman are the two that spring immediately to mind.

For the small amount they cost using a straplock system of some type is a no brainer IMO.

[quote name='Faithless' post='560805' date='Aug 5 2009, 12:20 AM']....Shallers.... It seems to 'loosen', and, when I'm putting my bass on a stand, strap just goes off. And I've been using them for only a year....[/quote]
That's why you need Dunlop straplocks.

I use Schallers, but they're not a 'fit and forget' item. I carry a spanner to tighten the nut on the strap, and the biggest problem is the screws IMHO are too thin-on both my P's they're thinner than the ones they're replacing, and don't grip the holes well enough. I've done several matchstick and bits of wood in the screwholes repairs, and they still come undone. I always check them before a gig. Now I've drilled out the strap buttons and gone back to the original screws-I'll see how I get on with that-could be that the only permanent solution is to drill out the holes, glue in a proper hardwood dowel and redrill the holes-that could be my next line of attack. I wouldn't be without straplocks of some description, but they do need to be monitored.