Why become a member? ×

Straplocks!

midgetiser

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='601482' date='Sep 17 2009, 05:30 PM']....Schaller straplocks every time, on every bass I use. The thing to do is use the screw supplied with the lock and stuff a couple of cocktail sticks in the hole and there you go , dinky doo! If you are spending £500 on a bass, what`s £12 spent on locks....[/quote]
Ha, ha, thank you for illustrating my point!

Anyway, how do you get the cocktail sticks out when you want to reinstate the strap buttons, if you want to sell for instance?

My schaller strap lock button on the horn of my Spector has worn away on one side and I find the little flat nut which tightens onto the strap keeps coming loose...but I still swear by them and use 'the cup' method as mentioned by Lorne. My Warwick has recessed strap locks which work fine too. I couldn't think of owning a bass and not having strap locks as when I was younger I had a nasty incident with a Fender when the strap failed.

[quote name='chris_b' post='601077' date='Sep 17 2009, 09:53 AM']I don't understand why people want to buy Schaller strap locks and then start various DIY projects to get around the problems and design shortcomings in order to make them safe!

I don't buy any other stuff that I have to fix it before it works!

I know I'm old fashioned, but I expect to get strap locks that work right out of the packet. That seems to be any make of strap lock other than Schaller!![/quote]

My Schaller's worked straight out of the packet, I just screwed the supplied screws in no problem...

I had a bad experience on Saturday night.

Brand new SG bass and brand new purchased that afternoon Bass Centre strap.

Played at a large venue, support slot of forty minutes and one song from the end of the set and the strap gives way, being an SG I had a solid hold on the neck and saved the bass from just hitting the stage.

I ended up playing the last song sat on a stage monitor with the bass supported by my knee.

I inspected the strap and found the hole had ripped wide open that goes over the button.

I have now purchased a full leather strap and will be fitting locks as a precautionary measure.

[quote]All my basses have Schaller straplocks,I put the strap part on upside down,so the bass has to enter the strap from above,the strap part acts as a cup,just in case the piston fails (Happened once about 18 years ago)[/quote]

Erm, dude... that's actually the right way to do it and how everyone who owns these does it
(unless their a brainless retard... or a guitarist... but I didn't need to repeat myself there)

When refilling a larger screw hole prior to putting a smaller straplock screw in it, I use cocktail sticks but absolutely drown the buggers in superglue first. Leave it a few hours then you can redrill it and it's hard as rock to take the new screw.

This valuable lesson learnt was in my early days of having switched to bass and playing during the nu-metal era of wearing your bass almost vertically, headstock up by your ear style. My clever engineering brain saw the need for a straplock after my strap repeatedly and expectedly came off the top horn. I purchased said straplocks, saw the hole was too big for the new screw, and shoved a cocktail stick in there.
First gig, pounding away on the bass in true Fieldy pose, and dropped the bass on the floor on the first song of the encore. Left with a strap, with a straplock perfectly in place, securely holding a button, holding a screw, and lots of cocktail stick confetti drifting through the air. D'oh!

[quote name='NickH' post='601852' date='Sep 17 2009, 11:25 PM']Erm, dude... that's actually the right way to do it and how everyone who owns these does it
(unless their a brainless retard... or a guitarist... but I didn't need to repeat myself there)[/quote]

Er,Dude,having worked in a guitar shop,most people who I talked too about their Schallers,didn't have them as I do - there must be a lot of Guitarists out there

P.S.,just a subtle hint,"brainless retard" is not something you should use,even in jest,you never know who mught just have a relative with mental issues,such as my son - I know you meant it as a joke,so no harm,but other people might not think so :)