Why become a member? ×

Where do you stand in a five piece band

Played mostly in four piece bands so always stood left side of drummer as you face band but I’m now in a five piece band with two guitarists.

Which is the better side to stand and why ?  I see many five piece bands with bassist on right side as you face band 

2 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Played mostly in four piece bands so always stood left side of drummer as you face band but I’m now in a five piece band with two guitarists.

Which is the better side to stand and why ?  I see many five piece bands with bassist on right side as you face band 

Welcome to the First World. :|

:lol: :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 guitarists is too many, actually probably 1 is too many but there you go...

I'd stand in front of the one using a music stand, or who doesn't do backing vocals, or who looks at his shoes/fretboard all night etc etc. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Is there a "best" side?  My face doesn't have one of those!

For me it varies by venue.  Most of the time I play at the drummer's left side when I have the choice.  But some venues with their own backline, the bass rig is on the right, so I go on the right.  It's not my stuff so I don't want to be a diva and demand that it's moved around on my say so. 

I don't think it matters anyway, no-one notices the bass player ;)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

If at all possible I do this as this way means I’m nearer the snare & hi-hat which makes it easier to lock in with the drummer. Plus the clumsy lead singer is unlikely to blunder into the headstock of my bass.

• Like 5

Usually in the second row on the left.  This gives me a view of our rhythmist on my right, who is the main person I take my visual cues from, but also affords a view or the drummist in row three in the middle.  It varies with venue, but that's how we usually arrange it. 

I also do backing and occasional dual-lead vocals, and it affords the crowd a view of my ugly mug. 

Exception is when I'm on mando. We often do Country Roads as an encore and, stage etc permitting, I will wander out into the crowd a little.

Edited by Bassfinger

I stand on the left or right.

My preference is to be next to the high-hat, but I play with a couple of left handed drummers so that can change.

When depping they might have other ideas, so I'll go where they put me.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I don't think it matters anyway, no-one notices the bass player ;)

One drummer I play with prefers to be on the side with bass in the middle, if possible, which presumably gets a bit more notice for me:

IMG_4236.thumb.jpg.71252af7a5d5fc1982d3b647e6a4c34d.jpg

Mostly, though,  it's drummer in the middle with bass to their left and keyboard/guitar to the right, horns in front.

• Like 1

Stage left for me, assuming the drummer is right handed. Makes it easier to maintain eye contact with him - drummers tend to face a little towards the snare/hat.

Visually, it doesn't matter. The rhythm section is behind the vocalist, guitar and keys players

Yeah, as others have said: I'd prefer stage left. To be the same side as the snare & hi-hat, and it means the Bass headstock is pointing away from bandmates that could knock into it, and away from the crash cymbal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

There’s no right or wrong answer and it really doesn’t matter.

Some people may have a reason for standing one side or the other but neither is better than the other.

If the drummer's right handed, then as others have said, it's usually best to stand stage left of the drummer i.e. next to HH and snare as drummers usually slightly turn that way, so better for eye contact and locking in.

There are a couple of disadvantages working stage right, firstly as others have said, you're more likely to clout someone with your headstock, and secondly, if it's a small stage you'll have the sound of the drummers ride cymbal in your left ear all night which can be pretty painful after a while if he/she's a bit heavy handed and you're not using IEM's.

Edited by musicbassman

3 hours ago, BillyBass said:

Do lefty bassists stand to the right of the drummer?

well I always do whenever possible, saves damaging my headstock when I clout the singer round the head 😂, looks more symmetrical as well with us always having right handed guitarists (only one though, thankfully) our drummer is also left handed so the eye contact thing works

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

If the drummer's right handed, then as others have said, it's usually best to stand stage left of the drummer i.e. next to HH and snare as drummers usually slightly turn that way, so better for eye contact and locking in.

There are a couple of disadvantages working stage right, firstly as others have said, you're more likely to clout someone with your headstock, and secondly, if it's a small stage you'll have the sound of the drummers ride cymbal in your left ear all night which can be pretty painful after a while if he/she's a bit heavy handed and you're not using IEM's.

Good point, those ride cymbals can be brutal in a caffeine fuelled chimps hands.

• Haha 2

Stage left for me too, even when I'm down the front. I find it easier to watch the drummer out of the corner of my right eye.

Though I guess it might be the other way round if I was left-handed.

• Like 1

The drummer at the back in the centre.  Then for the rest, I like to start with stage presence and work from there.  Those who have it need to be seen by the audience and those who don’t can be hidden.  That trumps concerns over where the hi hat is or wacking the singer with the headstock (though due to wacking concerns I do play a short scale headless on small stages).

6 hours ago, chris_b said:

When depping they might have other ideas, so I'll go where they put me.

This. I tend to go wherever there’s any room left in dep gigs. 

I tend to find myself either side in my main band depending on the room/stage etc.