Why become a member? ×

Songs that you hate with a passion

4 hours ago, ubit said:

Actually, after reading through the comments, I had forgotten, probably because my mind had pushed them away somewhere safe, but

back in the 80's there was a fad for video juke boxes in pubs. My local had one and every Tom, Dick and Sally used to put on Walk of Life, Road to Nowhere and Dancing in The Dark. Ever since I have had a hatred for those songs.

They were played to death. If I hear them I quickly avoid.

I was in a boozer in Hammersmith around 20-years back. I'd had a few. I put 'What's the frequency Kenneth' on the jukebox. It didn't play, so I put it on again. And again. This was about 6.00pm. I put it on again a few times during the evening times as for reasons not fully clear to me I just had to hear it. I kept missing it, or so I thought.

About 10.00pm it came on, so I put my arms in the air and cheered 'At last'. Then it came on again, and again, and again. Apparently the juke box ordered songs alphabetically (barman told me that after the sixth or seventh play). Got a few hard stares 🤔  

• Haha 2

Sweet Caroline is killing me off too, not so much the song but the inane bullshite sports version - good times never felt so good “SOGOOD SOGOOD SOGOOD” - Why?

I watch a lot of boxing. I mute it every time it’s on.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Lazydog said:

Honourable mention has to go to "Dancing in the Moonlight" by Toploader. If you think the song isn't too bad, check out the video but bec sure you have a bucket close by. 

Came out when I worked in Topman for a Saturday job, every 2 hours that video was on. Horrific

Born in the USA (by the end of the song do you get the impression he was born in the USA?!)

Other than that we have a singer in our band who just does all the boston punk screamy numbers, but has decided to branch out and do songs that require him to be in tune.... not his strong point. Now, whenever I hear these songs i just hear his vocals and it's completely ruined them for me!

• Haha 1

Not so much songs, but the genre of House music with inane 3 chord house piano on. 

I worked on a lot of these and it killed a little bit of me inside every time. 18 hours of House music at loud volume. Arrgg. 

• Like 1

Regarding jukeboxes in pubs : myself and a few friends used to play a game for our amusement . We gave ourselves the task of finding what we thought was the worst song in the jukebox , and put in some coins and play it .

"Sally " by Gracie Fields was the winner . The start of that song  brings manic depression beating the like of morrissey ,and joy Division. Of course we never stuck around , after it came on . We  just went to another pub 😬

As for Springsteen , can't  stand his music but am impressed that he does/ did 3 hr sets  for the fans . My ex boss  idolised him .

I just called it Budweiser music , which annoyed him . 🙂 I did play dancing in the park in a blues covers band , and surprisingly didn't mind it .

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Regarding jukeboxes in pubs : myself and a few friends used to play a game for our amusement . We gave ourselves the task of finding what we thought was the worst song in the jukebox , and put in some coins and play it .

"Sally " by Gracie Fields was the winner . The start of that song  brings manic depression beating the like of morrissey ,and joy Division. Of course we never stuck around , after it came on . We  just went to another pub 😬

As for Springsteen , can't  stand his music but am impressed that he does/ did 3 hr sets  for the fans . My ex boss  idolised him .

I just called it Budweiser music , which annoyed him . 🙂 I did play dancing in the park in a blues covers band , and surprisingly didn't mind it .

Many years ago I used to work in a bar, and during idle moments myself and my colleague would compete to see who could mix the most revolting drink to make the other one throw up (Malibu + tomato juice + Iron Bru etc.....🤮)

Must listen to “Sally” (being a big Joy Division and Smiths melancholia fan.....)

I have mixed feelings about Springsteen - 50% American cliche, but 50% worthy successor to Dylan.......? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shaggy said:

Many years ago I used to work in a bar, and during idle moments myself and my colleague would compete to see who could mix the most revolting drink to make the other one throw up (Malibu + tomato juice + Iron Bru etc.....🤮)

Must listen to “Sally” (being a big Joy Division and Smiths melancholia fan.....)

I have mixed feelings about Springsteen - 50% American cliche, but 50% worthy successor to Dylan.......? 🤔

Normally when someone says " trust me " ..you know they cannot be trusted . However, on this occasion trust me , sally is awful.😬

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just heard this on TV. Aaaaarrrggghh! Hall and Oates wrote some cracking tunes (I can't go for that, She's gone etc) but this one is an abomination:

You Make My Dreams Come True

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Nearly forgot about another : Respect . Diana Ross?  Very shouty . " re re re " " ooh ooh "  Sounds like one shouty woman , and the rest agreeing with her .  

That would be Aretha Franklin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ubit said:

The Doors music. I realise they were a great, groundbreaking band. I just can't stand them.

Oohh yes, I'm the same on them as I am with REM too. But this thread was about songs, not artists, so I've refrained from mentioning until now that someone else throws whole artists under the bus. 😂

Mark

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, KingBollock said:

Perhaps you’d prefer this version…

Wow, just checked out a few of their other songs and they're brilliant. Kind of what Royal Blood could be if they actually tried to be original rather than just recycling tired hard rock cliches. Which brings me back on topic, as I loathe anything by Royal Blood, since everyone assumes that as a bass player I must like their neanderthal plodding.

• Like 2

On 28/03/2024 at 06:58, NancyJohnson said:

The one that really makes me want to start breaking things is 'Walking On Broken Glass' by Annie Lennox.

Our local BBC radio station (Berkshire) just seems to have such a limited playlist and I'd hear this song maybe once every couple of days.  At work, the consultants have a terrible oldies station on at the other end of the office and I hear it twice, sometimes three times a day. 

It's torture.  I can't bear her or The Eurythmics at the best of times.

I used to think it was tantamount to blasphemy to not like 'Dave and Annie' as Steve Wright used to refer to them and so had to keep my vehement dislike of their music to myself. 

Today I heard another pet hate, `Mary's Prayer ' by Danny Wilson. They were part of the New Twee genre along with Deacon Blue, The Bluebells, The Beautiful South and Prefab Sprout.

• Haha 2

On 31/03/2024 at 13:58, AndyTravis said:

Sweet Caroline is killing me off too, not so much the song but the inane bullshite sports version - good times never felt so good “SOGOOD SOGOOD SOGOOD” - Why?

I watch a lot of boxing. I mute it every time it’s on.

Sweet Caroline and boxing - a song to punch people to...

Have you ever heard it played by a ukulele band? 

21 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

Sweet Caroline and boxing - a song to punch people to...

Have you ever heard it played by a ukulele band? 

Crossing a line tbh...I never want to hear anything played by a Uke band 😳

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, LeftyP said:

There are many songs that I can live without but Come On Eileen has to be one of the worst records ever made. 

One of the probs with that song is at the time Kevin Rowlands was a bit of a kn*b as I recall