Why become a member? ×

Selling on Facebook Bass Players Market..

In the 20 + years of selling instruments ive never received the shit that ive just received on Face Book. Im selling a Mono M80 bag that is in great condition . The inner cable pocket thing has come away stitching wise. I started by selling it at £120, which was probably optimistic. I got comments like "set it on fire".. "Way over priced" etc.. I have never ever got this on Bass Chat.. If its over priced make me an offer. Me and my wife are really struggling financially which I didnt mention, in hindsight maybe I should have. I dropped the price to £90.. But no, still overpriced."could I stitch it myself"

I would bet some of these darlings are on Bass Chat... I just dont get the outright destroying of someones for sale advert. Just PM me about a price. It is literal out and out vitriol. I will say I was so pissed off I sent some messages that were not very polite, unfortunately I have a temper. Why though I just dont get it. This would never happen on BC.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Sadly it's the world we live in. There are some wonderful, amazing human beings out there but there are equally some complete and utter tool's with toilet paper for brains. They walk among us and we sadly come in contact with them now and again.

• Like 8

yep been there also, you would not believe some of the stories i can tell of ....

timewasters,

scammers,

people taking the pi$$,

buyers that dont live in the uk,

people asking stupid questions,

people that have not read the description,

people asking will i deliver half the country away

people that do not turn up even though you waited in for them

people asking 10 questions for days then "its ok iv found another one"

people sending you dodgy links

people asking you to swap for this, then sending you a dodgy link

people asking for your address and contact number then radio silence.

people offering a courier to collect with cash.

people whos mum really want it but he is working off shore on an oil rig

peoples buying for a son or daughter cus its their birthday they can pay but are out the country.

people then when you click their profile have pics surrounded by palm trees, and live abroard

people that are a pastor and want you to send to a friend

yep facebook is rife with scammers, you have to be cautious.

and can be a real pain in the crack.

on saying all that, once you can navigate the minefield, i have met loads of really nice buyers and sellers.

and the best bit.... no Ebay fees ! .... but at the cost of all the sh!t you have to put up with.

my rule number 1,.... if it has to be sent....i dont except paypall, only bank transfer for obvious reasons.

and if collecting its cash ONLY !

Edited by funkgod
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

In the 20 + years of selling instruments ive never received the shit that ive just received on Face Book. Im selling a Mono M80 bag that is in great condition . The inner cable pocket thing has come away stitching wise. I started by selling it at £120, which was probably optimistic. I got comments like "set it on fire".. "Way over priced" etc.. I have never ever got this on Bass Chat.. If its over priced make me an offer. Me and my wife are really struggling financially which I didnt mention, in hindsight maybe I should have. I dropped the price to £90.. But no, still overpriced."could I stitch it myself"

I would bet some of these darlings are on Bass Chat... I just dont get the outright destroying of someones for sale advert. Just PM me about a price. It is literal out and out vitriol. I will say I was so pissed off I sent some messages that were not very polite, unfortunately I have a temper. Why though I just dont get it. This would never happen on BC.

People don’t understand the emotions going on here. I think that people can be very cruel at times without realising it.

When I’ve seen things that are advertised incorrectly, I’ve messaged the seller to point this out politely.

Hope things get better for you and your wife.

• Like 2

Social media is society's cess pit. The very worst of human personality flaws are allowed to flourish and grow there without any kind of consequence and, as a result, it just gets worse and worse. Do yourself a huge favour and remove yourself from it, forget it exists.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Yes I saw that (your) ad and I too couldn’t believe the comments! There’s some absolute toss pots out there . I really feel for you mate. No need for all the rudeness at all. Pull the ad on there and just keep it on here.Most people in this world are reasonable and kind, but it is upsetting sometimes. 
best wishes to you and good luck with things x jeff 

• Like 1

Facebook marketplace seems to bring out the worst in people.

Just this weekend, I ended up staying in for a buyer that never turned up, no response to messages even though they'd been hassling for about a week with loads of silly questions and to arrange the collection time. I'd put off other buyers and changed weekend plans. I just can't fathom what's going through their heads to be such time wasters and so inconsiderate. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Facebook marketplace seems to bring out the worst in people.

Just this weekend, I ended up staying in for a buyer that never turned up, no response to messages even though they'd been hassling for about a week with loads of silly questions and to arrange the collection time. I'd put off other buyers and changed weekend plans. I just can't fathom what's going through their heads to be such time wasters and so inconsiderate. 

once a buyer asked me to deliver an item (giant bean bag!). I put it in the car and drove to their flat. I rang the bell and…. They switched the lights off, closed the curtains and pretended they weren’t there.

It was actually quite funny. What was less funny was the guy messaging me again asking for details and if he could pick it up.

People are genuinely mad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Social media is a cesspool.  I have seriously minimised my use of it over the last few years, twitter can do one and I only remain on FarceBook to keep track of peoples' birthdays, band reasons, and sometimes I do sell stuff there.  Must say I've dodged the worst of the craziness/nastiness, but I've had plenty of chancers/lowballers/tyre kickers, the occasional overpayment scammer.  It's a mess.  The process is exactly the same but none of these people would act like this if it was an ad in the paper and we conducted business over the phone in the old days.  It's like people change into entirely different people online, it's like a switch.

Older types like me who remember a pre-(consumer) Internet world and were there at the dawning of it with hope and awe now look on sadly.  This is not how it was supposed to turn out :(

• Like 3

In the old days of Basschat , there were a few rude comments made about peoples gear that was being sold . Thankfully the mods sorted that out , and Basschat is a good place to sell stuff .  
I do feel for you, but times are very tough due to cost of living etc and I hope things improve for you . 

Have you tried eBay ? I think that if you started out at a lower price  say £77 for example , and see what gives . 

Regarding farcebook , hardly used it so ditched it . It was on Basschat many moons ago, that I heard about the negative issues about selling on it so I never listed anything . Ignore the negative comments , and don't take them to heart. The " people" on there  don't know you , and they probably have posted similar comments on other peoples posts just to amuse theirselves . 
Glwts 

43 minutes ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

In the old days of Basschat , there were a few rude comments made about peoples gear that was being sold . Thankfully the mods sorted that out , and Basschat is a good place to sell stuff .  
I do feel for you, but times are very tough due to cost of living etc and I hope things improve for you . 

Have you tried eBay ? I think that if you started out at a lower price  say £77 for example , and see what gives . 

Regarding farcebook , hardly used it so ditched it . It was on Basschat many moons ago, that I heard about the negative issues about selling on it so I never listed anything . Ignore the negative comments , and don't take them to heart. The " people" on there  don't know you , and they probably have posted similar comments on other peoples posts just to amuse theirselves . 
Glwts 

Even eBay has it's idiots. I've got a guitar up for sale and received an offer yesterday that I deemed too low, so I made a counter offer that was about midway between their offer and my listed price. The buyer declined it and added a message that basically amounted to "I can buy an entirely different guitar brand new for less".

Edited by Jono Bolton
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

When I’ve seen things that are advertised incorrectly, I’ve messaged the seller to point this out politely.

I did the same once and was threatening with the 'I know where you live and I'm coming to get you' thing.

Never again.

It's really crazy, sorry you're struggling and that with all the pressure you must be under theres some idiots out there thinking they're funny or just taking their anger and stupidity out on you.

On a lighter note... A mate of mine listed a pair of designer jeans on eBay for sale "never been worn". And the photo was him wearing the jeans... I could have commented on it as a little joke but didn't bother wasting my time and his. 

• Like 1

Not to diminish your experience in any way and I hope your situation improves very soon but to balance out, I just had a good experience selling a bass on Facebook Marketplace. I had the add on several groups, so I am not sure which one it was that hooked the buyer. Anyway there were some possible red flags: he lives in Spain and had me courier to a UK address (his outlaws) but he paid directly into my bank account, so I have the money and he just contacted me to say it had arrived safely and on time (unusual for Parcel Force) and to thank me. 

I was, however, contacted by another buyer who offered me more than the advertised price without any prompting from me. Said he was a collector of this particular bass variant (find that doubtful). Fortunately, I had already accepted the offer from my buyer (asking price), so I was able to turn him down. Maybe he was genuine but fortunately i don’t need to find out. I understand that this approach is a common start for one of the scams. Apparently it can involve PayPal and someone (not the buyer) turning up to collect it. They then raise a dispute through PayPal that they never got the item. PayPal refunds the money and you are left with a 100% loss because you can’t prove it was collected by the buyer. There is a way to get a receipt on handover through PayPal but “not a lot of people know that” and I think it requires cooperation from the collector.

Edited by Obrienp
  • Like 1

'Apparently it can involve PayPal and someone (not the buyer) turning up to collect it.' 

I sold a bike at the weekend, the buyer paid through paypal and once he'd paid I sent him my address and he came to collect at the agreed time. All good (touch wood!), but I wondered what would happen if he then claimed someone else had collected it  - he'd get a refund (plus the bike!). I've no way of proving the person who came to my door at the agreed time was the buyer, but then only the buyer new the agreed time and my address.- would that be enough for paypal to side with me?

13 minutes ago, NHM said:

'Apparently it can involve PayPal and someone (not the buyer) turning up to collect it.' 

I sold a bike at the weekend, the buyer paid through paypal and once he'd paid I sent him my address and he came to collect at the agreed time. All good (touch wood!), but I wondered what would happen if he then claimed someone else had collected it  - he'd get a refund (plus the bike!). I've no way of proving the person who came to my door at the agreed time was the buyer, but then only the buyer new the agreed time and my address.- would that be enough for paypal to side with me?

Nope, if you didn't use their thing where the buyer has to scan a barcode/QR code thing when they collect, I think they'll side with the buyer.  Sorry.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Yep, this is the only way to do the collection thing - except payment on collection. 

22 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Nope, if you didn't use their thing where the buyer has to scan a barcode/QR code thing when they collect, I think they'll side with the buyer.  Sorry.

lesson learned!

I'm sorry to hear you're going through a tough financial patch, and met with a bad FB marketplace experience. As others have said, FB Marketplace can be a hive of scum and villainy. But if you're not in a rush to sell, it's worth wading through the chaff and persevering with. 

I've sold a number of music and non-music items via FB marketplace, generally all at or close to the price I advertised for, and more than I would have got via eBay.  I tend to slightly inflate the asking price knowing someone will make an offer, and I lead my adverts with something along the lines of "first come first served, no silly offers, cash on collection only". It doesn't weed all the scammers and twits out, but it helps. If they do ask, I tell them to read the advert again.

FWIW. The questions from prospective buyers annoy me more than anything...

• "What's your best price?". Have people forgotten how to negotiate? Make me a sensible offer and you'll find out, don't just ask me to offer you a lowball price.
  • "Can you lower the price by £XX as I have to get a train/bus to collect it from you?"  Absolutely not. I'm not covering your travel expenses, what do I get out of that?
  • Usually when I've had multiple offers I get: "I can collect it today if you take £XX". As if they're doing me a favour by giving me a lot less than I'm asking for just to take it off my hands quickly. I tell them I have better offers lined up and I'm in no rush to sell.
  • Like 3

The other side of the coin is I’ve bought 3 very nice basses off Facebook at good prices during and just after the lockdowns, paid cash on collection. Met some nice people in the process. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Linus27 said:

Sadly it's the world we live in. There are some wonderful, amazing human beings out there but there are equally some complete and utter tool's with toilet paper for brains. They walk among us and we sadly come in contact with them now and again.

I agree, though some of those brains are probably more like used toilet paper.😏

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Haha 2

That's really crap, I'd always found that group quite good for selling before. Why can't people just ignore it if they don't like it? Why comment?

I still use it, but Facebook marketplace has descended into utter chaos. Inundated with messages from scammers from all over the world (well, mainly Africa it seems). However, I do generally get stuff sold fairly quickly, you just have to be prepared to put up with all the nonsense.

Edited by TRBboy
  • Like 1

On 26/03/2024 at 08:20, MichaelDean said:

I once tried to sell some flats on Facebook that had only been lightly used. Got some serious abuse from people telling me I was disgusting for selling used strings! There's all sorts out there...

I had that too!! 

People saying it was low. Desperate and bottom of the barrel. I'd only taken them off basses I'd bought and replaced with my own.