Why become a member? ×

Who has a killer bass that they've neglected for one reason or another?

jd56hawk

• jd56hawk changed the title to Who has a killer bass that they've neglected for one reason or another?

My Conklin GT5. Nothing wrong with it, I just have others I prefer at the moment. It's on the list for a new set of strings and maybe some Alumitones I have new and unused, plus a full set up. I won't sell it, but it might get left at my friend's place that I visit often.

• Like 1

I stopped playing this for quite a while because the John East circuit developed an issue on the mid-pot.  It all worked, but periodically the bass would just emit a theremin type squeal.  The thought of replacing the full circuit was a bit of a costly ball ache.

At my wife's prompting, I spoke to John, he sent a replacement part and bingo, back in the game.

20230828_181146.thumb.jpg.a3199f49cf303a0c7f7bc1f1399a1fc6.jpg

Edited by NancyJohnson
For the benefit of Mickeyboro, it's a Mike Lull NRT5 with an oversized body.
  • Like 5

Since I’ve gone short scale I’ve neglected my fave US Fender Precision. I’m on leave this week and have picked it up a few times, reminding myself of why it’s my fave bass so have made a pledge to myself that I shall play it every Sunday morning at least. 

• Like 3

I have a Precision Elite which developed a fault in the stereo jack input. I bought a replacement a year ago and still haven't installed it. A G&L L2500 tribute which sounds fantastic but I don't really need a 5 string for the Blues band I play in. A MM Stingray which sounds great but is a bit too aggressive sounding for my Blues band. A MIJ Precision which doesn't sound aggressive enough for my Blues band. Plus a couple of others that don't get played for one reason or another.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 3

My Ellio Martina Forza was my absolute number one for a few years, and still is one of the finest basses I own. For my bands however (mostly metal), other instruments were more appropriate tonally so it's mostly sitting in my rack unplayed. In or around 2013 I bought a Warwick Streamer LX5 that has been my live bass ever since up to about 2020, and currently it's a Status Graphite S2 Classic.

Every time I do play that Forza, though, I am in awe of how nice the neck (and neck profile) feels, how great it sounds and what a wonderful range of tones I can obtain from it. I'm not a huge fan of the Aguilar OBP3 preamp that's in it, I may want to change it to something more basic and add a passive tone control.

IMG_1610636596014.jpg.e5a749144c76ec3465a003268eed6c41.jpg

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 4

Wall hangers and rotating your collection are our friends!

Who's going to dig their Ken Smith out of its case in a cupboard when the Fodera is hanging there, tuned and wearing a strap,  ready to go? 🙃

I usually have a choice of 4 ready to go, but rotate these to make sure everything gets played. 

Last band I was in saw a different bass every week...

Though in  truth I was trying to establish what sounded best with the band (It certainly wasn't the Ibanez EDC715. That thing is like a sledgehammer!)

• Like 1

Warwick JD Thumb and another Warwick Thumb, defretted and reprofiled to JD Thumb proportions. Fantastic to play but I've been playing 5s since 2007. I did use them for a little while with a Marillion tribute band (never got to gig), now I'm rotating them in for open mic nights.

• Like 1

To my utter shame and embarrassment, up until last year this beautiful, extraordinary Shuker custom build had spent a good 2 or 3 years shut away in my bass-drobe while my Sire V7 got all the 5-string gig action. I felt that the sound of the Sire suited the gig best, but it wasn't until I sat down and properly experimented with the coil taps and eq that I realised this beauty worked even better. As you'd expect. I mean, as great a bass as the Sire is, it's not this.

So now, the Sire is the one sitting in the bass-drobe. I occasionally wonder about selling it, but I won't for the moment because a} it's bloody good and b} we all need a Jazz in the armoury.

4.thumb.jpg.933cd37ace53265a29d9f1c5c743324e.jpg

• Like 6

I've owned this old P bass for 34 years this summer but have only gigged it once in probably 6 or 7 years.

It's still my favourite bass but I (like Lozz) have gone JMJ Mustang due to neck/shoulder issues.

It hangs on the wall in my studio

Fender P bass 1975 003.JPG

Edited by police squad
  • Like 4

I've got a top of the range artist custom ordered Tacoma Thunderchief acoustic bass.

It's divine.

I just don't play it.

Been thinking about selling it for a couple of years but I just can't bring myself to do it because, sod's law, as soon as I did some opportunity would arise where I did actually need it! 😄

2 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I have two awsome blue JMJ mustangs that are mostly neglected as I usually tend to play my otherwide identical and equally awesome black JMJ.

I have three JMJs - all black ones. To make sure I use them all I have one for home use, one for rehearsal and one for gigs. The gigger gets the least use.

I have a rather nice Washburn XB925 gigging base in a case behind the sofa, which is a struggle to extract when I practice.  So I use the Washburn XB500 which is sitting on the stand. 

Every time I play the XB925, I am reminded how much easier it is to play, and how much better I sound. 

But I can't be bothered to get behind the sofa....

1 hour ago, Rich said:

That's literally what it is... :lol: I keep my basses on a multi-stand in an old wardrobe. Keeps them out of the sunlight and away from the dust -- safe and accessible.

Untitled.jpg

What a fantastic idea, in fact I liked it so much I've just the same, don't where the wife's going to put her clothes though !! ;) 😛 

John 😎 

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Since I’ve bought my Sadowsky Modern 5, my Dingwall Super P5, has pretty much been unused completely. 
If I was to sell it, I know I’d regret it. 
I’m sure I’ll gig it again at some point, but the Sadowsky is hitting the spot for the Function, Northern Soul and Ska gigs at that moment. 

• Like 1