Why become a member? ×

Fender custom shop new models… who cares!

Boodang

I noticed Fender custom shop have announced new models for 2024… if you’ve got £5k to spare you can buy two badly bolted together pieces of wood!

Out of interest, does anyone here think there’s something magical in these custom shop specials? Would you spend 5k on one of these or for that money might it be possible to buy something of better value!

• Like 2

I’ve had custom shop fenders and they are amazing instruments, don’t know where you get the badly bolted together bit, they have gone up in price considerably and I wouldn’t now pay 5k for one, I’d rather go vintage for that money 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve had custom shop fenders and they are amazing instruments, don’t know where you get the badly bolted together bit, they have gone up in price considerably and I wouldn’t now pay 5k for one, I’d rather go vintage for that money 

I can imagine that a Fender Custom would hold its value but not sure it’s worth it!

As for ‘badly bolted together’… well, if I had 2 pieces of would, no skill and no money, I’d put one on top of the other and put 4 bolts thru it. If I wanted to join them elegantly and, imho, properly I’d do this;

a94d4316-2d09-4778-aa83-80ad391049af.thumb.jpeg.56114f94af043bdb7b4d277e563ccdf7.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Boodang said:

Out of interest, does anyone here think there’s something magical in these custom shop specials? Would you spend 5k on one of these or for that money might it be possible to buy something of better value!

I'm a Fender fan-boy, but..................................no!

2 hours ago, Boodang said:

Maybe the CNC machines to make them are gold plated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boodang said:

I can imagine that a Fender Custom would hold its value but not sure it’s worth it!

As for ‘badly bolted together’… well, if I had 2 pieces of would, no skill and no money, I’d put one on top of the other and put 4 bolts thru it. If I wanted to join them elegantly and, imho, properly I’d do this;

a94d4316-2d09-4778-aa83-80ad391049af.thumb.jpeg.56114f94af043bdb7b4d277e563ccdf7.jpeg

All in the eyes on the beholder, but to me, that doesn’t look elegant. My eyes want to see those two stripes from the body go all the way up the neck. Instead, there’s a piece of wood of nearly but not quite the same colour, with a single stripe. Plus, that cavity plate 🤮.
Not for me, but we’re all different, so I’m glad it works for you.

As @Lozz196 and @Reggaebass have said, in my experience, FCS basses are far from two badly bolted together pieces of wood. The ones I’ve had/have definitely are not. I’m not sure I’d go to £5k for one, although the burl top J does look very nice

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I built a fender from parts and it is as good as any bass I've owned.

It's my new main. I spent around 1200 but went all high end bits.  I cannot imagine the CS ones are that much better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

All in the eyes on the beholder, but to me, that doesn’t look elegant. My eyes want to see those two stripes from the body go all the way up the neck. Instead, there’s a piece of wood of nearly but not quite the same colour, with a single stripe. Plus, that cavity plate 🤮.
Not for me, but we’re all different, so I’m glad it works for you.

As @Lozz196 and @Reggaebass have said, in my experience, FCS basses are far from two badly bolted together pieces of wood. The ones I’ve had/have definitely are not. I’m not sure I’d go to £5k for one, although the burl top J does look very nice

I agree about the stripes but the set neck join makes upper register playing a joy as opposed to the clumsy restricted bolt on. However, the body is walnut and something my luthier had made ages ago and done nothing with. I got him to put on a mahogany set neck with a ‘62 jazz profile (although compound radius), and the single stripe was a necessary product of its construction. Looks aside it plays like a dream and because of the way it was made only £800! Which is one reason I feel a Fender Custom is not good value. 

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve only played one Custom Shop instrument, a Pino Palladino Precision. It was awesome. Not sure I’d pay £5k for one (not that I could anyway) but it really was a superb instrument.

This.

I once played a Pino and it was one of the best Precisions I've touched.

These days £5k is beyond my budget by a mile, but it is within the budgets of many and they are the intended audience for these instruments. Good luck to them.

• Like 3

Here's two I built using Fender bodies, necks, Fender Custom Shop ‘62 and Nordstrand NP4 pickups, with Schaller BM Tuners on both.

Total cost for the two = £1600

I've had many "high-end" Fenders over the years and these two play as well as any of them, and would a CS model be £4,200 better than one of mine? I doubt it.🫢

Arctic White1.jpeg

Sunburst3.jpeg

Edited by thebrig
  • Like 8

19 minutes ago, Boodang said:

I agree about the stripes but the set neck join makes upper register playing a joy as opposed to the clumsy restricted bolt on. However, the body is walnut and something my luthier had made ages ago and done nothing with. I got him to put on a mahogany set neck with a ‘62 jazz profile (although compound radius), and the single stripe was a necessary product of its construction. Looks aside it plays like a dream and because of the way it was made only £800! Which is one reason I feel a Fender Custom is not good value. 

What you doing up there anyway? ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, Boodang said:

badly bolted together

Well, no. I've had two CS Fenders, a Sean Hurley sig P, and a 60 Jazz, both beautifully built. Comparing the CS Jazz directly to the 95 MIJ Jazz I had at the time, the CS was far better in terms of build, materials, sound and playing experience. 

• Like 4

Hmmmmmm, what would I buy if I could afford to spend £5k on a bass.......like others have said, probably something vintage. 

There's likely not many people here that are the target market for them though and I've no doubt they'll sell. 

6 hours ago, Boodang said:

I noticed Fender custom shop have announced new models for 2024… if you’ve got £5k to spare you can buy two badly bolted together pieces of wood!

Also, we get it - you don't like bolt on construction.  You're off base with your description though.  I've seen many pieces of wood screwed together with military precision, with lovely recessed screw heads and sculpted heels.  A well done neck join is a joy to behold, regardless of the method.

• Like 2