Why become a member? ×

Fender custom shop new models… who cares!

Boodang

As I mentioned in another thread the Fender Custom Shop is a bit of a paradox.

Expensive versions of instruments that were specifically designed to be mass produced on a production line by people with no luthiery skills to be sold at an affordable price point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thebrig said:

Here's two I built using Fender bodies, necks, Fender Custom Shop ‘62 and Nordstrand NP4 pickups, with Schaller BM Tuners on both.

Total cost for the two = £1600

I've had many "high-end" Fenders over the years and these two play as well as any of them, and would a CS model be £4,200 better than one of mine? I doubt it.🫢

Arctic White1.jpeg

Sunburst3.jpeg

Heres the one i built. I used an aftermarket body because i wanted to paint it with nitro

Ive since changed the pickups to lollars

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The real mind-boggler is what do you get that is so much better with a Fender Master Built bass over a ‘standard’ Custom Shop.

Given their price point is several thousand pounds above a ‘standard’, I don’t see where that extra value is.

A few years back I played a Master Built Strat, it was hands down the best guitar I`ve ever played. I`d gone to buy an SG from a private sale and although it was a good guitar I left with it feeling decidedly disappointed after playing said Strat. 

2 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I wouldn't even be able to think about buying one as they don't seem to offer any mustangs in the CS range. If they did it would be interesting to see how they could possibly be an improvement over the JMJ.

Very good point, I love my JMJs, they’re amazingly good instruments.

4 hours ago, neepheid said:

What you doing up there anyway? ;)

I need access to the 24th fret! (In fact this bass has 28 frets!) The last band I was in replaced me with a guitarist. 

3 hours ago, neepheid said:

Also, we get it - you don't like bolt on construction.  You're off base with your description though.  I've seen many pieces of wood screwed together with military precision, with lovely recessed screw heads and sculpted heels.  A well done neck join is a joy to behold, regardless of the method.

Me, not like bolt ons, what ever gave you that idea!! Sculptured heel or not I just think it’s a lazy cheap way of joining two pieces of wood…. Especially on something costing 5k. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cato said:

As I mentioned in another thread the Fender Custom Shop is a bit of a paradox.

Expensive versions of instruments that were specifically designed to be mass produced on a production line by people with no luthiery skills to be sold at an affordable price point.

I agree…. it’s a bit like polishing a turd! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Boodang said:

I agree…. it’s a bit like polishing a turd! 

I definitely woudn't say that.

Any design that has no only remained in production for as long as Leo Fender's guitars and basses but actually still retains it's place as a market leader must be something a bit special 

2 minutes ago, Cato said:

Any design that has no only remained in production for as long as Leo Fender's guitars and basses but actually still retains it's place as a market leader must be something a bit special 

You're wasting your time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Cato said:

A bit of a special turd! 

3 hours ago, Cato said:

But, getting back to the original premise, if you had 5k to spend on a bass, would you buy Fender CS or look elsewhere?

10 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

Not for me, even though my go-to bass is a Fender. I'd buy a Sandberg or a Sei and drink whatever was left over.

Ah, Sei basses are cool... and another opportunity to show off how to join a neck to a body properly... or more precisely body wings to a long neck in this case...

20211222_232506.thumb.jpg.4dc9b70037d12fa476ee4da28e8238ed.jpg

Edited by Boodang
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Boodang said:

But, getting back to the original premise, if you had 5k to spend on a bass, would you buy Fender CS or look elsewhere?

1 minute ago, Boodang said:

and another opportunity to show off how to join a neck to a body properly...

You just can't help yourself, can you?  Are you even reading our input, or just using any excuse to berate bolt on construction?  Just rename the thread to "I hate bolt on construction and I think anyone who owns one is an idiot" and be done with it, because that's all I'm getting from this thread now.

Cool story bro.  I'm out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, neepheid said:

You just can't help yourself, can you?  Are you even reading our input, or just using any excuse to berate bolt on construction?  Just rename the thread to "I hate bolt on construction and I think anyone who owns one is an idiot" and be done with it, because that's all I'm getting from this thread now.

Cool story bro.  I'm out.

Sorry, just can't help myself!! Actually did a 'bolt on necks suck' thread last year, so I guess this is just a rehash in disguise! However, quite happy to rein it in for some genuine thoughts on 5K Fender CS basses.

5 hours ago, chris_b said:

We all have our budgets and preferences, but if someone thinks their Fender Custom Shop instrument is worth £5000, then it is.

Yup. I supspect those people are far too busy making pots of money to be posting about bass toys on the internet.

I have owned a few latish model Fenders. Nothing from the last ten years. They had no obvious areas that could be improved. So I am not in seeing value in 5k£ versions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, neepheid said:

You're wasting your time.

You’re being me again. With more whiskey and tartan and stuff but still second-guessing my every reaction. Are you Elon musks patient zero ? 

Edited by Geek99