Why become a member? ×

That's it. I am DONE.

Supernaut

23 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

I have two basses which cover all eventualities. ...  Who else is done? 

Me. I have a fretless jazz and a plywood economy upright which somehow manages to sounds great. Other than a novelty Lego bass on the wall, that's me done.

• Like 1

I can't say I am done forever, but I think I am done for a while with electric basses. I have a PJ bitsa with a magnificent Tonerider P pickup and a comfortable neck. I have a Cort musicman-inspired bass, which I bought when I was around 18, which is extremely funky with low-gauge stainless rounds. I have a butchered Fazley fretless which, with LaBella tapes, does the fretless thing surprisingly well. For as much as I have enjoyed GAS, after going through 15 basses in two years I can't think of anything else I may need, and that has been the case for a bit, other basses have come and goine, but the first two have stayed.

More importantly I have recently concluded that I want to be a couch player for another while. So the chances of "needing" something are flimsy.

Dangers now come from other fronts. I have bought a Stagg EUB and, ehm... a guitar 😳

(..actually, two cheap guitars, at once.. the sort of accidents that can happen to basschatters.. one will be sold at some point)

Edited by Paolo85

I'm done. I only need 2 basses. I played a Jazz with rounds and a PJ with flats for most of the last decade.

Unfortunately a back issue means I've got to find a lightweight replacement for the Jazz. So far, none of the basses I've tried have been "the one". I didn't expect replacing a favourite bass to be this hard.

Edited by chris_b

39 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I'm done. I only need 2 basses. I played a Jazz with rounds and a PJ with flats for most of the last decade.

Unfortunately a back issue means I've got to find a lightweight replacement for the Jazz. So far, none of the basses I've tried have been "the one". I didn't expect replacing a favourite bass to be this hard.

Maruszczyk Elwood with a chambered body? At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs, if you go onto the Public Peace website you can spec up it up exactly to your requirements. Warning though, it can be a bit like being let loose with the extras list on a BMW; it can become expensive. I am sure you could order to your spec through Bass Direct as well.

I have a 32” Elwood I bought second hand and it is the best jazz I have ever played. Maybe not light enough for you at about 3.8 Kg but I am sure with the chambered body it would be quite a bit lighter. A friend raves about his full scale Elwood, so it’s not just me.

• Like 1

I’m all done too.

Got a Squier CV Mustang with flats and a Squier Affinity Jazz with flats. Those cover everything I need to do in the studio. I reckon the Jazz would handle live work no problem. Only issue I have is the Mustang is Olympic White with a tort guard and the Jazz is Charcoal Frost Metallic with a tort guard. I’m not the biggest fan of either colour scheme. But that’s a minor quibble. They’re great basses.

Oh, I almost forgot - I’ve got a 25.5” scale Precision copy with La Bella flats. It’s a kids toy really, but I’ve done records with it so it counts. Wouldn’t gig with it though, it’s flipping tiny 😂

• Like 1

Me too, seems to be a bit of a thing at the moment on here.

... sold a shed load of gear this year and out with the spendy stuff that sounds just as broken as my cheaper buys.....with my playing.😉 

All passive. Two long term keepers, a £49.99 pink Westfield B1000 P bass from that Scots music shop that shut down 10 years ago (a belated thanks for the heads up Basschat), Squier first generation VMJ.

A new Harley Benton MB4 Snideray....

....ohh and last week a bargain too good to turn away Harley Benton JB75 in black crept in which is much lighter than the natural finish JB75 super tanker anchor I had, but same great fit, finish and sound....the pups are stupendous. 

So 4 bass, one Pacifica, from 10 ish bass and 5 geetars, I feel cleansed. There isn't one that sits unused, which is my barometer. 

Fenders, Yamaha, Spectors et al all gone and happier for it. 

In one of my minimalism frenzies I got shot of half a dozen basses over 2 years leaving me with just a Cort GB74 OPN, a Cort Action Deluxe AS and  a Sterling by Musicman Ray 4 HH. I'm now suffering from an acute attack of GAS and pour over the web pages of Bass Direct, Gak, Andertons etc the way I used to intensely peruse the ahem....'articles'.... in a certain publications as a teen. I'm quite tempted by the pre-owned  Fender 75th Anniversary Jazz Bass 2021 in Bass Direct. How fortunate it's only a 10 minute drive away 😊.

• Haha 1