Why become a member? ×

Who's finally happy with their rig?

The graph of disposable income that has increased as I've got older has been intersected by the graph coming down the other direction, showing the decreasing amount I can be bothered to lug around.

Having accepted long ago I'll never own or transport an SVT with an 8x10, I'm very happy with my long-serving old Markbass heads and cabs paired with a P bass, a Mustang bass and two Yamaha BB604 basses.

Chuck that lot through a Cali76 and a tuner and I'm good to go.

Lots more stuff that I like, but none of it that I need.

• Like 1

After a couple of decades in the wilderness, swapping amps and cabs every few months, I got my TKS 2x12 about 9 years ago. Then, a couple of years later I happened upon the HandBox R-400. A marriage made in heaven and I don't think I've seriously considered another amp or cab since. When I think of the money I could have spent still hunting....

IMG_1088.thumb.jpeg.757e575b2bdab78447d3c85500bdf7ab.jpeg

• Like 7

If we're talking in ear setup then 100%. Yamaha pb734 into an hx stomp. Then into my ears through some kz iems. 

Ampwise I have an old school TE which is great for the occasional gig that requires a big amp. In an ideal world I'd own a wee 1x10 or 1x12 combo too, just for those gigs that iems aren't available but I'd need a monitor... but really can't justify that given that type of gig doesn't crop up often for me!

But my main setup, can't see that changing anytime!

• Like 1

I’m more than happy with my current amp and cab. I’ve owned the Big Twin 2 pretty much since they were launched, and not once have I considered changing it. The GK Fusion is a fairly new addition. It’s a wonderful combination. Last couple of gigs I’ve done, I haven’t even engaged any pedals. Only thing I still want to add is a Spector Euro 4LX. 

IMG_1206.jpeg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, ped said:

This is my gig rig and I’m super happy with it. I’ve never had a better live sound, although this sound is quite different to my previous go-to which was all graphite and slap. With rounds, the mustang has a super Hifi sound with a fantastically even response and tremendous growl. 

If that's a Unity 500 and the extension cab, that's what I had for a few months. Sounded great when it worked.

• Like 1

I came to the realisation many years ago that the room provides so much of the sound that as long as the rig isn't a bag of bolts and is big enough, then it'll do the job. 

I used to spend ages fiddling with EQ trying to get it to sound "how I want", and never really getting there. 

Now I turn up, plug in, and play. Hardly ever make any adjustments. Even to a house provided rig.

Or maybe it is all in the fingers after all...

• Like 3

Trace Elliott AH500 2x10+1x15 and Hartke LH1000+2 4x10 cabs are the big guns I'm very happy with. However, due to advancing years it's the Ashdown through the p.a that gets the work these days. The old HH hasn't moved for years.

IMG_20231109_193508.thumb.jpg.769ff021a6a5f45232e2ef9df8666c5e.jpgIMG_20231109_193434.thumb.jpg.3da8ca64668734fdf6c8a07ba418914c.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ern500evo said:

I’m more than happy with my current amp and cab. I’ve owned the Big Twin 2 pretty much since they were launched, and not once have I considered changing it. The GK Fusion is a fairly new addition. It’s a wonderful combination. Last couple of gigs I’ve done, I haven’t even engaged any pedals. Only thing I still want to add is a Spector Euro 4LX. 

IMG_1206.jpeg

That photo has done my bank account no favours whatsoever... I still want a Fusion 550.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, 2elliot said:

That photo has done my bank account no favours whatsoever... I still want a Fusion 550.

I wanted one for years, they just always came up used at the wrong time. When this one came up in the for sale section here, I’d only just bought an ABM600, but I couldn’t not take the opportunity to finally own one. So glad I did, it’s a fabulous amp. The first gig I did with it was in a place with notoriously bad acoustics. I set it flat for the soundcheck and was blown away by how good it sounded. If you ever see one available second hand, jump on it, you absolutely won’t regret it! 

• Like 2

I've been clearing out a load of stuff recently and have a fairly firm idea of what gear I want to be core stuff. The one rig I'm really happy with which has proved time and time again to be very reliable, great sounding and fairly loud if I need it to be is my reasonably compact GK rig. It's one amp & one cab that's like a swiss army knife of tones and works particularly well for rock and blues music which is mostly what I'm playing these days. I still have my Ashdown stuff but that plan is in a state of flux at present which means the GK gets more rotation than anything else thats available.

Screenshot2023-11-10at00_46_08.thumb.png.b2d714fccbcbef004d4c03ab54d670f1.png

Edited by DGBass
  • Like 3

Yeah, pretty much.  I don't worry about is it the perfect rig that gives the perfect tone, I just go for sounds I like and that suits me fine.  I use a really simple set-up, just a P-bass into a Strobostomp and an Ampeg bass overdrive pedal and then the amp, which is either an Eden WTX500 with a 2x15 or an Ampeg Portaflex PF500 with a 2x10.

• Like 1

I'm very happy with my rig. Boss GX-100 into an Ashdown ABM-600 and then a Zilla 212. I came away from the South West Bass Bash without any amp/cab/pedal GAS. The only rig thing I'd like to do is to find a chrome faced ABM-600 and get it re-tolexed to match my cab. That's purely aesthetics though!

I think I'll always have bass GAS, but all of my current basses do different things and do them well, so I'm not displeased with any of them. My Dingwall is perfect for the band I'm in right now, but I would like a 4 string multiscale, and a BB734a, and a Spector...

• Like 1

Very much so, yes. 😀

I've got several rigs and all are different; the Bassman with it's 15" JBL speakers with a Jazz bass is distinctly different than the Trace V4 / SWR 2x10 with the Warwick Streamer. My choice of rig currently is Squier Jazz VM or 40th Anniversary > Trace V6 > Trace 2103H & 1153 of which I'm very happy with - no gigs with it yet but a few rehearsals and it's immense.

As time has gone on, it's generally things I 'want' rather than things I 'need' these days, for example the Ampeg rig I bought last year for the studio. I love it as it sounds awesome. 

I've generally been pretty happy with every setup for the last 15 years or so but currently, I couldn't be happier. ❤️

• Like 1

It started 6 years ago when i bought TC electronics 112'' combo. Later sold it to have an extra money for Hartke 600w head (don't remember model - don't make it anymore) and Hartke hydrive hd112 cab. Then sold the hartke head to get an extra money for Aguilar ToneHammer 500 head and another Hartke hydrive hd112. Finally sold bouth Hartke hydrive heads and bought 2 x Aguilar SL112. Now i am fine. About my pedal board - i have all i need...even too much, just waiting for MXR m82b to arive.

• Like 1