Why become a member? ×

Bands….. when should they just call it a day?

Rayman

I appreciate that the only way for bands to make money these days, is to play live…. but really….. when should these old bands just call it a day?? It’s embarrassing when the singer can’t hit those notes anymore….. Bon Jovi… Judas Priest….. Whitesnake…… Please….  You had your time…… enough is enough. No? 

• Like 5

No. Why should they stop if they still enjoy it? What a ridiculous thing to say. Would you stop doing something you love if some punter came up to you after a gig and gave you a pissy comment? If you don't like what they do, jog on. There's lots of other music out there which might not embarrass you, listen to that.

• Like 10

I think they should call it a day when no-one goes to see them, but then I don't have a particular dislike for any of the bands mentioned. Don't really like any of them either.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing The Dead Boys in a few months time. One original member in the band. One.

I have no clue about the others and I don't care who they are either. Judging by the videos I've seen it'll be quite geriatric and it looks like they won't be sober either.

Still it will be a good night out with mates and we'll very likely meet people we haven't seen in a while, and likeminded weirdoes. If it's the worst gig I've ever been to it'll still be a night to remember. 

I don't really think I'm reliving my youth here, but having worked at concerts for 10 years I have seen a lot of that. And also of people still enjoying meeting likeminded people or rather people who love(ed) the same music.

I see all the bands mentioned in the OP are connected to the metal scene which in my experience have the nicest crowds. That in itself may be a reason to go for some. Just a good night out. I have been at some terrible gigs with "Big" names. People had fun and I had a good time then too.

Man, insomnia makes me babble on. sorry.

edit: not that I don't see the point of the OP, I have asked the same question many times myself when at work.

(I'm about to repeat the whole thing over again so I'll stay away from the keys now.)

Edited by HornetPinata
zzzpelling and not making sense

There's certainly a ton of bands out there that are still gigging when they're well past theur sell-by date, but if tickets sell then they'll keep doing shows.

Look at recent/ongoing/upcoming tours by Kiss, Motley Crue/Def Leppard, Elton John, Madonna, Stevie Nicks (and so on); IMO these should all have hung up their boots many years ago, but until people stop paying £250 for a seat in the gods to watch a lipsynching granny in basque cavort about with dancers half her age, then they'll keep doing it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

There's certainly a ton of bands out there that are still gigging when they're well past theur sell-by date, but if tickets sell then they'll keep doing shows.

Look at recent/ongoing/upcoming tours by Kiss, Motley Crue/Def Leppard, Elton John, Madonna, Stevie Nicks (and so on); IMO these should all have hung up their boots many years ago, but until people stop paying £250 for a seat in the gods to watch a lipsynching granny in basque cavort about with dancers half her age, then they'll keep doing it.

Exactly this! While agree some bands are nowhere near what they used to be I just won't pay to go and see them. But they won't miss my £250 out of the millions they're making from everyone else. 

It just seems like the natural order of things now. Young, exciting new band has to sell cheap tickets, graduates to established band, cashes out with greatest hits tour/ no more tours/ we swore we'd never tour again.... And so it goes on. It's like the Vegas residency but coming to an arena near you.

28 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Tell that to all the over 65s still working and not letting the youngsters have a job. 😂

It's odd, when I was a kid, it was all 18-30 holidays, the original supermodels, yuppies and so on.  All these people are now pushing 60 (at least) and they're all desperately looking to hold onto something from their youth.  Look at Kiss, Simmons is 75 or something, Madonna is 65, Nikki Sixx is 64, same goes Joe Elliot.  Vince Neil 62 and despite his stomach surgery, he lumps around like a beached pilot whale and still can't sing.  I love early Motley and was a huge fan of Kiss until about 1980, but there's no merit whatsoever in what they're doing now and it just p*sses over whatever remains of their legacy.

I'm not being ageist, but if that was mum up there doing what Madonna is doing, I'd be horrendously embarrassed.  There is nothing remotely sexy or alluring about what she's doing, despite what she probably thinks.  Thing is, nobody has got the strength to tell these people that it's time to stop, give it up and go live off your millions.  But hey, there's always one more payday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Yup, I just don't geddit. Ha ha not just a lipsynching granny in a basque, but a lipsynching granny in a basque and fishnet stockings. Hmmmm nice!! It was either this year's Glasto or last least year's where the combined age of all the people in the headline and second tier acts was over 1,200 years!

Some interesting responses there.

So the examples I gave in the OP, Jon Bon Jovi clearly cannot sing the songs anymore , neither can Rob Halford, neither can David Coverdale …… etc

David Coverdale has said publicly, that he really needs to think about whether live work is still an option (certainly with regards to Whitesnake). 

There are probably plenty of bands and artists in their twilight years who can still pull it off, great, keep doing it. However when the live performance is massively undermined by the limitations of an aging throat, surely that performer should consider some pride in their work and call it a day? Or do they just plough on regardless and cash in for as long as possible?

9 minutes ago, ambient said:

If you don't like them don't go and watch them. 

They give people a lot of pleasure. I guess it's nostalgia. 

I agree, it's the whole show as well, the whole bundle....

I was watching a few fairly recent Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry live videos recently, and yes...Mr. Ferry's voice ain't what it was, but it was a great show. People want to see him, so more power to him. Everyone seemed to be having a blast. All good.

Now, I'd not go and see him, but saying nobody else should is a bit like saying, I dunno, I don't like dog shows, so they shouldn't hold them.

• Like 2