Why become a member? ×

Bands….. when should they just call it a day?

Rayman

When should bands call it a day?

From an artistic point of view usually good few years before they actually do. The old showbiz adage that a performer should always leave their audience wanting more so quit while you're ahead is particularly apposite in relation to pop music.

Many legendary artist's have a cannon of work that benefitted from coming to a premature end. A great many more have inflicted inestimable tedium on the world with their continued existence. Led Zeppelin, for example, have benefited  greatly from their untimely demise, becoming a mythical entity, as opposed to a mere musical act. Contrast that to The Who, still mere mortals, turning out spectacularly forgettable new music and playing it live for only  god knows who and god's knows why. You could say the same for Queen.

The trick is for musicians to realise that moment when the only way to further their career is to apparently end it. I will readily admit it's a lot easier said than done and it must take a lot of courage.

Also, a lot of blame has to be put upon members of the public who encourage these so called "legacy acts" by buying tickets etc. A Take That reunion tour is not a victimless crime, as anyone who has seen Gary Barlow in a fishnet sleeveless t-shirt will attest to.

Edited by Misdee
  • Haha 3

When should a band call it a day?

I don't feel that I am in any position to say when any other band should call it a day.

For example: One of my old favourite bands, Slade, is down to one original member and I haven't been to see the end-of-the-pier version (now with just Dave Hill left) since 2000. If Dave Hill wants to work and people want to see him do it, I've absolutely no right to think or say that he shouldn't. 

As for me, I will call it a day when dealing with venues, other musicians and my health just makes me snap.
There will be a brief explosion and that will be it.

• Like 1

If the puppet show is getting top billing at your gig, it is probably time to quit unless you are still on your way up and the puppets are really good.

Otherwise, maybe @12stringbassist's comment about "end-of-the-pier" acts is apt. Much as there is a lot of mythologising around the kinds of music we are discussing here, it has always been a theatrical business. Some old troopers are admirable, some are tragic, but either way it's a pretty low-stakes question. If the worst thing that happens is diminished reputation, I doubt that would deter many who love the stage and like to get paid. Unless someone is being forced to do something against his or her will, I think it's between the performer and the audience that will still pay to see the show.

It's all relative. I saw David Coverdale at Ramblin' Man festival in 2016 and I can say even then his voice had gone. He managed 2 songs before going off whilst the guitarists alternated solos for 10 minutes. Then came back on did one song, then guitar solo. That pattern lasted the whole gig. It was quite sad actually.

As an ardent Who fan, they should have stopped in 2002 when Entwistle died. All the music since then has been awful/mediocre and the fact they have got lesser and lesser bassists since then (now its some American session musician who looks like an iced gem) just takes it to a new level of wrong. That's about the only band I'd honestly say should pack it in, but only because of my hypocritical stance as a lifelong fan.

Most people are going to see bands of this age because they're always sure it'll be the last time. I think the Stones got that nonsense in 1994 and they've just continued. Plus it's nostalgia. How you felt when you first heard a song transporting you back to your long since departed youth. 

It's all expectation as well. I saw Kiss at the o2 recently and it was clear to me some of thr gig was being mimed. Isn't that having a laugh? I actually went to that one for free as a mate got tickets through his work.

If people are going to pay for it, who are we to say who should retire? I'm 44 and recently a band (in their early 30s) the singer said (not to my face) that I was too old to join the band. I hasten to say, I could easily pass for almost 10 years younger than I actually am. We're all going to get there eventually I suppose. Someone saying Danny Glover style that "you're too old for this." It's the way of things and to be expected.

Much like ageing boxers, we all believe that we've got one more fight left in us. Whether other people agree is a different matter.

• Like 2

People can do what they want, I guess. 

However, it seems to me to be a shame when an act turns into an insipid, cover version of its former self. I've never courted fame, but I think I'd like to be remembered for what I was at the height of my powers rather than a shambling, incapable old fart with no integrity, that's purely interested in the cash.

That said, each to their own. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/10/2023 at 22:57, steantval said:

Are you on any medication for the ET, I was prescribed 2 x 40mg Propranolol tablets per day by the Neurologist, it definitely helps.

Just to say - I have just started on this.  Just 5 days in and I'm seeing a MASSIVE improvement. :) 

I probably wouldn't have bothered had I not read your post so THANK YOU.

• Like 2

• Hamster featured this topic
On 02/11/2023 at 14:42, Wolverinebass said:

It's all relative. I saw David Coverdale at Ramblin' Man festival in 2016 and I can say even then his voice had gone. He managed 2 songs before going off whilst the guitarists alternated solos for 10 minutes. Then came back on did one song, then guitar solo. That pattern lasted the whole gig. It was quite sad actually.

Not arguing with you as such, but as a general point it is hard to make a diagnosis on the basis of one concert. Anyone can have an off day or be ill. Possibly he should have cancelled the gig if that was the case.

I have no axe to grind here, David Coverdale could bump into me and I wouldn't have a clue who he was.

I noticed that Francis Dunnery has formed It Bites FD. 

There's a band that's had more break ups than any other I know about. The last time It Bites called it a day, the only member who knew about it was the one who posted it on Facebook. 

So it seems even bands who want to call it a day, and have done several times, can't. 

2 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

Not arguing with you as such, but as a general point it is hard to make a diagnosis on the basis of one concert. Anyone can have an off day or be ill. Possibly he should have cancelled the gig if that was the case.

I have no axe to grind here, David Coverdale could bump into me and I wouldn't have a clue who he was.

A friend of mine saw Whitesnake on the last tour. They did the same thing. 2 songs. Voice shot. Solos. 1 song. Solo. Etc., etc.

I don't dislike Coverdale either actually. I was just making the point he's past it.

Back in the day - Deep Purple, early Whitesnale, Coverdale was sublime IMO.  That deep, almost breathless way of singing he had was so good.  Things like 'Mistreated'.  Then, for some reason, in the 80s he jumped an octave and started singing in a higher register.  Sounded like Mr Punch to me and was never quite the same.  From time to time he'd come back down again, like the Starkers in Japan acoustic set, which for me shows the best of his voice.