Why become a member? ×

Anyone else out of gas?

joel406

16 hours ago, smithy said:

So more SIS (Skill Improvement Syndrome)

This. Ive recently began studying cello. If there is anything to kill GAS permanently it's learning a classical instrument cause its all about study and practise practise practise....Sure you can get a better instrument but it'll be just has hard to get the notes right as the beginners instrument. I now see my bass playing in a completely different light as well....that its so darn easy in  comparison.

• Like 3

I'm out of GAS and happy to be so.For me having serious GAS is like having the hots for a some babe and not having a chance of copping off with her. I used to longingly look at Ken Smith and Jazz basses in Bass Direct knowing they were beyond my budget. Now I have no yearnings at all. My Ray 34 and Cort GB and Peavey combo do just fine

• Like 1

Sure I have GAS for a couple of unreachable stars (Wal 5-string, '65 Jazz) but realistically they will never happen and I know it. In the real world, I have everything I need. One thing that would be handy is a small lightweight 500+ watt 8 ohm cab, so I can run my amp at lower levels. (But not too small or it'll sound like an iPhone, apparently. 🙄)  But that's not a need or even a really-want.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Linus27 said:

Not even close but then again, I just like collecting basses and trying new stuff so these are on my hit list, along with one or two fretless basses that a fellow BC member has.

Soon to be released Fender Vintera II Telecaster bass.

fender-vintera-ii-70s-telecaster-bass-mn-sfg.jpg.625195ecce665aa82a879fa25a58171e.thumb.jpg.7aa074dd63e5c91206d4985751e0c8d6.jpg

Fender Japan 51RI Precision Bass

Fender-Japan-51-Reissue-Precision-2-tone-sunburst-1-683x1024.thumb.jpg.86151c14f72f060e861342641e8e2625.jpg

Fender Japan 57RI Precision bass

20230819_172747.thumb.jpg.d79eb652315e1845aa133e519248f85a.jpg

Fender Japan 62RI Fretless Jazz Bass

image0(3).thumb.jpeg.52f86fb09440f9c652c756674706c638.jpeg

Ibanez Musician Fretless

20151229_124507.thumb.jpg.88c4f4bbeed9192aa6397f68c541b7da.jpg

Bugera Veyron 1000T but just because I've heard great things about them.

BV1001T-large.jpg.5e83b4b2e10edf61273ffbfd35d633ba.jpg

That green telecaster looks the business . Not sure of cost, but if my 2 basses for sale go then I'll have to see if.I could afford it .

The best sound I got from my last gigging band was  tele and Aguilar head and cab . Apart from seeing this, there was no more gas 🤦

I'm pretty much done with GAS now.

Over the years I've been lucky enough to snag most things that have caught my interest and given them a whirl - I'm at the point now where I have some great sounding gear that works for me and everything is useable/interchangeable in any gig if something goes pop.

I have 3 basses - a Zon Sonus Import that would be impossible to replace as they're so rare, a Cort A4 Plus which is just astonishing vfm and a Warwick Corvette Proline with a few upgrades on it. All 3 get gigged and rotated regularly. I love Musicman basses but they never work live for me, I don't really do Fenders or passive stuff. The only thing that might interest me would be a German Warwick Fortress possibly if i got bored with the Corvette but they don't pop up very often within my mental budget and I'm generally happy with the Vette.

Main gigging amp is a Mesa BB750 and I have a spare one of those too. A Quilter BB800 covers off lightweight or home use duties and an Orange 4 Stroke fits somewhere between those 2 camps. Cabs are a couple of Barefaced 1x12's that I've had for years and would never have a need to change - they'll handle any gig I'm likely to do. 

The pedalboard is settled now I've got rid of all the programable stuff and gone down the knobs route. I also managed to snag a spare wireless unit to back up my fave and long discontinued Sony DWZ unit. 

Lessons would be a much better investment if i had any desire to improve anything now 

• Like 2

There's always something catching my eye.

I've got the vanilla stuff covered in terms of Jazzes and Precisions but anything with an unusual pickup position or feature set always gets me thinking that it would give me something a bit different from what I already have.

I went down a bit of an Epiphone Rumblekat rabbit hole this afternoon, I'm probably not going to get one but it definitely fits the bill of covering tones my current basses don't really do.

6 hours ago, greavesbass said:

This. Ive recently began studying cello. If there is anything to kill GAS permanently it's learning a classical instrument cause its all about study and practise practise practise....Sure you can get a better instrument but it'll be just has hard to get the notes right as the beginners instrument. I now see my bass playing in a completely different light as well....that its so darn easy in  comparison.

I am in a somewhat similar situation without a classical instrument. Lately I have decided to give walking bass a proper try (I am useless at it and all previous attempts failed), and I play a lot of fretless (also useless at it).

No amount of money spent in gear would make the **** coming out of my amp when I play acceptable so no point in upgrading.

Still, I think that, if at some point I'll say "I am done buying gear for good", that would be because I have switched to DB, and found strings with a good feel.

DBs would be too expensive and bulky and not modular enough for me to go down the rabbit hole.

Basses are more tempting because with the cost of a Thomann student DB (which I imagine would also require professional setup) one can buy something like two/three good basses, or maybe one bass and two pream-DI pedals and so on...

• Like 1

I’ve reached the Age of Enlightenment where GAS isn’t really worrying me anymore. I’ve got to

the point where I’ll probably be selling stuff rather than acquiring any more, and am covered

for my current obligations - Theatre gig, acoustic duo and occasional Country band / deps. 

Having said all that, I am thinking of looking for a short scale electro-acoustic. My trusty 

Washburn AB20 long scale has been superseded by the much easier to handle Ibanez parlour

sized bass, but I’m thinking somewhere in between the two may be just right - say a 30” scale

job. Ibanez and Fender do them as well as Guild so may just be patient and wait for a 

nice s/h model to come along. 

12 minutes ago, Roger2611 said:

Amazingly, I am gas free, I have more bass gear than I will ever need, I seem to have finally settled on the basses I need and am ever going to use, I just need to build up the courage to sell the stuff I really don't need!

Clearly not trying hard enough.... :)

50 minutes ago, Gasman said:

Don’t know why, but I can’t help thinking it would be amusing to substitute ‘NLAS’* for GAS and see if the answers would be the same...

* New Lover Acquisition Syndrome

Well I haven’t got a current one and have no desire for a new one, I far prefer basses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Well I haven’t got a current one and have no desire for a new one, I far prefer basses.

My missus thinks I'm not a good listener and I don't understand her feelings.

If she was a bass she would know I am a good listener and I know how she feels.

• Haha 1

On 10/09/2023 at 09:11, Paul S said:

I have more gear than I could possibly need or want but, yes, Gas strikes from out the sun when you least expect it.

Very true!

On 10/09/2023 at 09:11, Paul S said:

I decided a while ago that the word 'gas' was filled with negative connotations when it wasn't necessarily a negative state of mind.  I tend to regard it as 'curiosity' now, rather than gas.  So, rather than slavishly 'gassing' for something and then 'giving in' I now think positively 'I am curious about what that bit of gear is like so will buy and try'.  

Like that sentiment a lot, Paul! Curiosity can defo be a good thing and can keep things from going stale, and if you're buying used it can end up costing very little if you don't want to hold onto it. 

Been good to spend a bit of time giving what I've already got a decent try out and if it's not a keeper, either moving it on or replacing it with something that's going to be more relevant to making music with my bandmates (e.g. upgrading the PA and moving on amps & cabs). I've not stopped being curious and trying out new kit, which is a lot o fun, but I've ended up being a net £seller in each of the past 4 years, which definitely tells me I had far too much to start with!

• Like 1

Sort of out of gas... anything new coming in has to be "better" than what I've already got. I'd go for quality over quantity any day. I'm already half thinking about shrinking down the amount of gear to fund some upgrades. It's nice having a choice of basses but realistically only one gets used at a time so it's silly having five. I'm also slimming down my pedals and favouring the natural sound of my amp... out of necessity as well as want! 

• Like 1