Why become a member? ×

Well Axl's not getting any better is he. 

Just need Slash to take his hat off at the end to reveal a bald bonce with all the curly hair stuck to the hat like one of those scottish tartan and ginger ones, just to finish it off. 

• Haha 8

GN’R (along with Maiden and Metallica) were directly responsible for getting me into rock, metal, and bass specifically back in ‘88 at 12.

Given the crazy amount of wedge they’ve made since getting the trio back together I don’t begrudge them carrying on, but every time Axl goes for the high notes for years now it’s been like…

IMG_5430.png

Edited by mr4stringz
  • Haha 6

Honestly, I watched a few live recordings of the 2012 line up and I thought that this line up is better. 

The 1992 Axl is gone but in 2023 I think he is as good as he was in 2008-2012. Whether that is a high bar of success however I’m not sure. 

it was raw, loose and unpolished, which I didn’t mind given that the core line up was always a bit like that.

Still not a massive fan of the band, but I didn’t totally hate it. 

• Like 1

Liked the fact that Duff still essentially uses the same £500 bass he grabbed off the wall in LA with his advance from Appetite for Destruction (albeit this is one of the copies that the custom shop made for him). Shame I can’t here much of it through the cr@p TV speakers!

Wow. 

Manics - awesome 

Lightning Seeds - pop brilliance  

Louis Capaldi - take a bow son

Lizzo - marry me 

Generation Sex - er….. 

GnR - a lot better than expected 

Ian Broudie same age as Billy Idol 😳

1 hour ago, JJTee said:

Liked the fact that Duff still essentially uses the same £500 bass he grabbed off the wall in LA with his advance from Appetite for Destruction (albeit this is one of the copies that the custom shop made for him). Shame I can’t here much of it through the cr@p TV speakers!

He's a bit of an old punk. Having the fanciest, most expensive instrument wouldn't suit him.

I'm not convinced you'd even hear the difference between a Mexican P bass and the top level US P bass in a heavy rock mix anyway. No one other than a bassist would ever notice the difference anyway 

• Like 4

Great quote from The Independent, in an otherwise OTT pathetic trashing of GnR (I mean, criticising the angle Slash holds his guitar as "priapic" ...)

"[Rose' voice is] a creature that, were you to take it to a vet, would come home in a cardboard box."

• Haha 4

I switched on late yesterday and caught the second half of Mariam and Amadou. Totally not my thing at all but pretty good - got the crowd going and the bass player was good to watch. He was doing the funky chicken walk around the stage effortlessly - he was sliding around all over the place with his hat at the perfect funky angle. I got to thinking that they would be better if Mariam and Amadou got into the spirit of things a bit more and ran around a bit like Axl does. They remained rooted to the spot for the whole slot. Anyway, they finished up and the drummer and bass player both went and grabbed their hands and walked them off stage. I didn't realise they were both blind! Bloody hell! Imagine being led up on to the stage, being told 'Don't move, there's a 20 foot drop right in front of you' and not being able to see the 50,000 people dancing along to your tunes. 

Apparently there's 'furore and anger' about the Pyramid Stage having all-male headliners and also about having an American band headlining Saturday night.

Isn't it all supposed to be about the music or is this just the tabloids spinning and whipping up something out of nothing?  Probably the latter.

What a fecking world we live in.

• Like 2

I have a new found admiration for Lewis Capaldi after watching him struggle his way through his set. Can’t be easy dealing with stress and anxiety, on top of Tourette’s, when trying to perform on the main stage at such a huge festival 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Clarky said:

Great quote from The Independent, in an otherwise OTT pathetic trashing of GnR (I mean, criticising the angle Slash holds his guitar as "priapic" ...)

"[Rose' voice is] a creature that, were you to take it to a vet, would come home in a cardboard box."

The Independent also said "Axl Rose flips between a lower register that resembles a clogged lawnmower and a higher one that sounds like Barry Gibb suffering the mother of all wedgies". 🙂

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Generation Sex now in desperate need of either a tuner or someone to tell Jones & James to play the songs in the same key. 

If I'd have had the misfortune of come across these in my local, I'd have left without even starting my pint!!!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Apparently there's 'furore and anger' about the Pyramid Stage having all-male headliners and also about having an American band headlining Saturday night.

Isn't it all supposed to be about the music or is this just the tabloids spinning and whipping up something out of nothing?  Probably the latter.

Def the latter, the modern phenomenon of looking to find something to be offended by.

44 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Personally I have been impressed by how receptive audiences and festivals are in redefining who can be a “rock” or “pop” star. Not that long ago they were predominantly skinny, under 30 and generally male.

There is far more diversity now which has to be a good thing. The only concern is whether younger artists get to break through what appears to be a glass ceiling to getting more lucrative slots and tours.

I caught some of Lana Del Ray's set. She was really quite good but cut off short with a good chunk of her set still play due to strict curfew rules.

Apparently she was half an hour late starting because her hair took a long time, didn't do herself any favours there frankly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1