Why become a member? ×

Boiling and de-kinking

Sambrook

The title says it all, really...

No? Ok. You know when your strings go dead, right? You can boil them, innit? And they'll be resurrected...

Well, what if you want to transfer strings from a fretted to a fretless? The little dinks caused by the frets mean they won't play right, on the fretless. So will boiling ease the kinks out of the strings? Or do you have to iron them as well?

Answers on a postcard, please...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Boiling just removes some of your bio-crud and finger-gick which gets into the winds and makes the strings go dead in the first place. If you drink the juice left over it is like eating placenta, apparently, the crud absorbs musical energy from the vibrations of the string, you get rejuvenated musical energy and it's like having  bass super-powers*

* This is a lie and you may die a painful death. Don't drink the string juice!

• Haha 2

If you want to try something we have already done:

- boiling

- washing machine

- ultrasonic

- acids

- solvents

- nearly anything imaginable

After some trials to save anything (except the time wasted), the best option is to go to your local store and by new sets.

• Like 1

I used to often boil strings as a perma-skint teen back in the 90s. They tended to sound bright again for maybe a few hours, and I was always told it made them brittle, but I never had one snap. These days strings can be had so cheaply it doesn’t seem worth it anymore.

Oh the memories :)

1 hour ago, gafbass02 said:

I used to often boil strings as a perma-skint teen back in the 90s. They tended to sound bright again for maybe a few hours, and I was always told it made them brittle, but I never had one snap. These days strings can be had so cheaply it doesn’t seem worth it anymore.

Oh the memories :)

Same except my experience occurred throughout the skint 80's. 

• Like 1

There's always this...

I used to rely on the boiling method as a poor teenager, no pans ruined!

It gave enough zing to get me through a gig but with the amount of noise we used to make back then it probably didn't make a lot of difference. 

I think it's worth spending extra on some high quality strings, they generally last a lot longer. I've used DRs for years and I usually get 6 months out of them.

Total urban myth. Steel becomes malleable at around 1800F, melts at 2500F. The best boiling can do is leech out the filth, which will may reduce the deadening affect of the KFC gunk and bogeys 🤪...Might possibly sound a bit brighter but the kinks are there for ever.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Everyone boiling strings in water is doing it wrong. You need to boil them in pure isopropyl alcohol. That freshens them up a treat. If you don't have any isopropyl alcohol, petrol is probably just as good, but doesn't taste as good when you drink it after.

Wouldn’t gin work as well, but may be more expensive than buying a new set.