Why become a member? ×

Early 80s - Great for Bass

Lozz196

The Prince's Trust Concerts were always the highlight of the musical year for me in the 80s

To see Phil Collins, Eric Clapton ,Nathan East, Mark Knopfler, Elton John and many others all on the same stage and often at the same time in an amazing supergroup was just so incredible. Not to mention the millions in Armani suits being worn in one place 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

My interest in buying/listening to music waned in the early 80’s. 

Didn't like the synth explosion, killed my interest. 
I really like what newer acts do with drum machines/loops and synth bass now though. 
Sorry. 70’s punk/new wave and disco/funk was my favourite era. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Just listening to Paul Gambaccini doing Pick of The Pops from 1982. Great years for the bass guitar, very prominent in the mix and great bass lines too.

I love Pick of the Pops on a Saturday afternoon. My favourite years alway seem to be between 1976 and 1983. A good selection of songs this week from 82, and nice bass playing. And this:

Edited by JJTee
  • Like 1

I started learning in the late 80s and picked bass as it was always the "cool" instrument. It's funny to me now that it seems to have reverted back to being the instrument a lot of people play as a second choice / the bass player being the awkward one. In the 80s bass was definitely king! 

• Like 3

Grew up listening to the 80's thanks to my two older sisters so it was no wonder I ended up picking up the bass, especially after watching Live Aid. Such amazing bands and bass players back then and huge influences from,

Simple Minds (Derek Forbes and John Giblin)

Talk Talk (Paul Webb)

Duran Duran (John Taylor)

U2 (Adam Clayton)

Paul Young (Pino Palladino)

Japan (Mick Khan)

Kate Bush (John Giblin)

Peter Gabriel (Tony Levin)

The Police (Sting)

Inxs (Gary Garry Beers)

• Like 5

The 80s were my formative years, music wise and things of a more personal nature. Back then, the bass was right in your face, from indie lefty ranters  New Model  Army via alt-funkers such as A Certain Ratio and Shriekback  to Sade and Wham. 

Some good examples given so far esp The Pasadenas debut.  Other 80s great bass albums  I'd recommend...

side 1 of Penthouse & Pavement by Heaven 17

Lexicon of Love by ABC esp tunes like 4 ever 2 gether,  Valentine's Day and Many Happy Returns.

Care by Shriekback

Sister feelings call by Simple Minds

Welcome to the pleasuredome -FGTH

• Like 1

I was a bit later discovering the bass.

1986 was when it started developing my own musical identity, moving away from the music I listened to with my mum (She was the only other musical person in my family. I still listen to the music we shared even now). When I discovered heavy metal (Dio and Motörhead to start with) and played a song to my mum, she said that it was what she called “messy music”. I didn’t know she knew this stuff existed, I felt utterly betrayed!

1987, my dad decided his next get rich quick scheme was to manage a band made up of my brothers and me. He decided that I was to be the drummer (I wanted a radio controlled monster truck… I was 12. I was in my 40s by the time I actually got that monster truck!), but I didn’t want him to have it all his way and, being an Iron Maiden and Motörhead fan, I chose bass instead. He hadn’t even considered the bass and he agreed. The one positive thing he ever really did for me.

It wasn't just about prominent bass either...listen to all those tight little dance tunes from around 79 to 83. Great melodic writing, forward vox, crispy orchestral arrangements, keys, drums, gits and massive analogue space between the signals.....Sorry kids but todays music sounds dull and lifeless in comparison. Lovely P bass slap tone on this one.

Edited by greavesbass
  • Like 2