Why become a member? ×

New Sandberg model revealed today: The Florence (now with video demo)

fretmeister

I think the bridge looks great.

Ignoring that it is my favourite bridge I've had on a bass it just looks right to me.

I get the point about the headstock - but the beauty of Sandberg is that if you really want a 2+2 you'll be able to order it.

Also be able to order it as a twin P pickups and a 3 band EQ as well if you must.

• fretmeister changed the title to New Sandberg model revealed today: The Florence (now with video demo)

As has been mentioned, totally wrong headstock for this bass!
I also think the top horn and the bottom horn look like they're from two separate basses.

Not for me........although I do like the green colour!

Si

Edited by Sibob

8 hours ago, Raslee said:

Looks heavy! Agree, wrong headstock. 

It's unlikely to be heavy. The mahogany that Sandberg use is very lightweight ( I have a mostly mahogany bodied longscale TT4 at 7.5lbs) and it states in the video that the hardware is from the Superlight basses.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Yeah - the berg sounds more EB-0 to my ears and the Serek more like a P.

What's that? Have to buy both then?

Its really quite muddy, no matter the tone setting, in my view. I am hugely biased as a Serek owner but I think the Midwestern both looks better and sounds much more defined

• Like 1

I quite like the look. Headstock suits me fine. Weirdly though I tend to think ‘mudbucker’ designs sound quite hollow and ‘stringy’ to my ears. Like the new Epiphone bass. This Sandberg sounds more usable to me, it has some midrange punch and articulation which to me is missing in the serek demo above. However I’ve played Serek basses and think they sound great so maybe it’s the video. 

38 minutes ago, Saul Panzer said:

Not a fan of that pickguard, but it sounds nice for a dinky bass and I was thinking that would be some bad neck diving but it sounds like they put some thought into mitigating that with light tuners.

Agree, don't see the point of the PG. Looks a bit like Kaonashi's little, sad kid 😉

K.jpg.9e80d6b5c5539659f905d21a362dcaf4.jpg  PG.png.abcd6814562f943e5fd1f415124891f3.png

• Haha 2

For me, the pick guard looks better than the bigger guard on the DC Jnr. Plus I dig the chrome pup cover and bridge. All in all, I like the look of it and thought it sounded good in the video with quite a wide range of tones. If I was after a shorty to play in a rock band then this'd be worth checking out.

When the DC Jr was introduced it pushed a lot of my buttons , and I eventually bought one. Truth be told , it’s easily one of my favourite things to play. I love it. And was sorry to hear it was discontinued.

This is very similar to the Jr , and this too hits a lot of my buttons. I like a single humbucker in the sweet spot , and the two knob simplicity. I prefer short scale basses. I trust this will be beautifully made. I’m not crazy about the headstock , but that’s not a big deal. 

I have a Jr , so I’m unlikely to buy this. I have too many now. But I like that this is quite similar to the now discontinued Jr. And for those that happen to like those features … a welcome addition. 
Nice to see something other than yet another Fender shaped thing.

I quite like it, it's got a nice range of tones (not as flexible as a Fallout bass but more than a single pup Mustang) and it's not offensive on the eyes.  Haven't seen a price but guessing it's in JMJ, US Fallout territory?  Don't think I'll dip my toe this time as my 3 shorties cover my needs but maybe down the line?

Looks awful doesn't sound any better.  Why would a good company like Sandberg make such a thing?

Is it really cheap? Erm no.

Maybe I'm just too retro myself these days to appreciate "retro".

...and will reviewers stop saying "passive electronics".  A. Like this is a "good thing" rather than a missing thing, and B. If it's passive it doesn't have electronics.. it has wires.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NickA said:

Looks awful doesn't sound any better.

Said a man with a Dolphin in his avatar :D  Just kidding each to his own.

As to electronics, well I would contend that the low pass filter that most passive basses have is indeed electronics not wires.

• Like 2

A capacitor and a variable resistor = " electronics " .... Hmm.  Debatable.

Wikipedia says:

The field of electronics is a branch of physics and electrical engineering that deals with the emission, behaviour and effects of electrons using electronic devices. Electronics uses active devices to control electron flow by amplification and rectification, which distinguishes it from classical electrical engineering, which only uses passive effects such as resistance, capacitance and inductance to control electric current flow.

..and that dolphin is a thing of beauty to hold and to behold.  The sound is quite " distinctive " I agree 😁