Why become a member? ×

Music you've done a 180 turn on since your teens/formative years

Barking Spiders

13 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I had the same problem with Maiden in my teenage years but love a bit of Maiden now.

I also hated Megadeath because of Mustains vocals and 25 years later nothing has changed.

I was never a big fan of Megadeth. I didn't mind them, but never got into them. I think it was Mustaine's vocals that did it for me too. He always sounded like he was trying to squeeze out a particularly solid poo.

• Haha 1

I don't think there's any music I've gone from loving to hating. There are some genres that I'm less interested in than I used to be like prog, trip hop and progressive house/trance, but I still enjoy listening to anything I liked enough at the time to buy on record or CD.

There are some songs that I would be happy to never have to listen to again, whose enjoyment was killed by having to learn and play them when I was doing Dad Rock covers, but none of those were ones I liked enough to actually buy when they were originally released.

On 06/01/2023 at 08:53, WinterMute said:

It's unlikely for me I'm afraid, I was the technical director for London College of Music for 7 years, my office overlooked the main performance/rehearsal space and I was subject to a daily barrage of bad jazz from people learning how to play it (or not as the case may be).

Very occasionally someone who could play would turn up, Branford Marsalis memorably, and I could sort of see the appeal but I'm afraid too much of it either goes over my head or is just meandering wibble...

A good big band makes a decent noise up close.

Fair enough. At the end of the day, personal tastes do matter :)
One of my wake up call, as banal and obvious as it is, was Jaco.
I bought his Word of Mouth CD when I was 17-18 years old, and listened to it maybe twice. I just didn't get it!
Never touched it in 15y then in the last few years I listened to his music properly, solo stuff but also the work with Weather Report and Joni Mitchell, and this time I was definitely ready for it.
Ready to appreciate the composers (all the people listed, not only Jaco) apart from the amazing musicians.
Take the classic Portrait of Tracy. That track is really important for the development of bass guitar. Nobody had played a whole track that way until that album came out, and that makes it unique, but also it is a really beautiful track from a compositional point of view. It is harmonically and melodically solid and would sound great even played on a harpsichord.

Also, the contemporary London Jazz scene helped me a lot getting into it. There's so much Carribean and electronic music contamination going on there, it's insane.
And the funny thing is, all the best/old school Carribean musicians who developed Ska, Rocksteady, Reggae and then Dub (all genres I love too!), were jazzists!
So, it's a circle in the end.

But again, de gustibus :)

Edited by mario_buoninfante
  • Like 1

As a kid, and for probably the 'tribe identification' reasons mentioned more than once above, I had very judgemental musical tastes (still some of those above, too), but as I've got older I've realised it's not the music that's the problem (i.e. Jazz isn't 'too twiddly', Oasis weren't rubbish at what they did, stuff like that), it's just me. Playing other genres is an eye/ear-opener, too: for a long time I played in a particular type of band, but a decade and a half of function work, depping and Jam Night stuff has busted a few of my preconceptions/prejudices, too.

Some stuff I'll never like, but then again I haven't really turned my back on anything from the past, either.

• Like 2

None of the stuff I loved do I actually now hate, there are some I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to, but nothing that if it came on I would rush to turn off.

There are things I didn't like, such as steely dan and jamiroqui that I really didn't like but now do (I still am not a fan of JK himself, but the music is ok!). I did hate the jam and groups a bit like that as they were music that were played non stop by the people at school I didn't like, but ended up playing a lot of their stuff.

Probably the biggest 180 I have ever done is with country music.  Growing up and for a lot of my adult life I hated it.  But, for no reason - I certainly had never listened to it to make a value judgement.  For various reasons I got to listen to a lot of it and found it to be, on the whole, a rich mine of beautifully crafted and played songs with sharp lyrics.  I got to see the Zac Brown Band at the first Country to Country festival at the O2 and it has to be one of the very best live performances I have ever seen.

• Like 4

So many of them in both directions for me! 

When I was younger, I basically wrote off the entire genre of metal. It was what the weird kids who hung about outside the Gallery of Modern Art (Glasgow) listened to. Indecipherable growly vocals, no melody, unpleasant to listen too. At the age of 40, I opened my mind a bit - and discovered Nightwish, who I'd previously written off as a bit of gimmick - an opera singer with metal band, doing Gary Moore, Pink Floyd and Lloyd Webber covers. I think their current vocalist, Floor Jansen, is incredible - and I love their slightly progressive take on things. They've led me towards similar acts - Epica and Gloryhammer for example. I still can't handle bands that exclusively use growly vocals though.

I used to think Muse were a poor-man's Radiohead. Until seeing them live at the Radio One Big Weekend in Dundee and realising that Chris Wolstenholme is in fact a demon, and their songs were great. One of my favourite bands these days. On a related note, I find Radiohead incredibly difficult to listen to now.

Like many my age, I used to love Oasis. I can't listen to them now, though I do enjoy playing their stuff with the pub band - punters do love them. Lots of their contemporaries are in the same boat here - Manics, Stereophonics etc. I don't actively dislike them - I just never listen to that kind of thing now. I also used to listen to a bit of dance music, especially when pre-loading before going to a club. Never happens now!

Overall, you could summarise it by saying that I now put more value on good musicianship and a good song - whereas as a kid there was an element of listening to what was fashionable.

I could write pages more, but that'll do for now!

George

Edited by geoham
  • Like 1

AC/DC. Despite being a massive rock/metal head in my teens I couldn't stand them. It wasn't so much the music as the vocals which I remember at the time describing as Micky Mouse on acid. I love them now. Rolling stones were another band I couldn't stand but now like. 

On the flip side, I used to love metal guitarists like Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen. Can't stand it now. It's just a load of fret w#@king nonsense. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Probably the biggest 180 I have ever done is with country music.  Growing up and for a lot of my adult life I hated it.  But, for no reason - I certainly had never listened to it to make a value judgement.  For various reasons I got to listen to a lot of it and found it to be, on the whole, a rich mine of beautifully crafted and played songs with sharp lyrics.  I got to see the Zac Brown Band at the first Country to Country festival at the O2 and it has to be one of the very best live performances I have ever seen.

Likewise. When I was younger I hated country and could never envisage enjoying it. Then one day in my early forties I heard Jolene and thought, actually, that's a great song, then I heard Wichita Lineman for the first time in years, another great song! This led to some delving and now Gillian Welch is one of the most played artists on my various devices.

• Like 1

Rumours era Fleetwood Mac. I used to have a 'Peter Green or nothing' attitude to the band. Now I really really like the later period stuff, especially the 1980s stuff. 

Other than that I am fairly consistent. There is nothing that I used to love 'back in the day' that I now actively dislike listening to. Well, maybe the Red Hot Chili Peppers, post-Stadium Arcadium, and perhaps Baroness and Queens of the Stone Age depending on what their next albums are like. Even then that is more me not really being interested in the direction the bands are going in (and in Baroness's case the tinnitus-levels of red line peaks and brick wall compression production techniques) rather than me growing tired of a particular style. 

I probably listen to Queens of the Stone Age, Nine Inch Nails, Kyuss, Rage Against the Machine and Alice in Chains a lot less than I used to, but that is more on account that their back catalogue is engrained into my brain so I really don't need to listen to them anymore, particularly when there is so much new music to listen to. 

14 hours ago, Paul S said:

I actually got into Country in my mid/late teens - and of course my mates thought I was a weirdo! Mind you, I think they already had made that call because I liked 'girls music' too - Motown, soul etc.

For me though, my love of these genres has remained all my life. I had older mates in bands who got me listening to Emmylou Harris, early Eagles stuff, Joe Ely, Steve Earle etc, and I was fortunate to see all of these live at the time too. 

I guess what I'm saying is I've not done a 180 on any music from my younger days, whilst hopefully remaining receptive to new stuff that gets my interest. In fact, a lot of what I liked then has become acceptable to like by musos now who derided it back in the day - Motown & soul, Abba, country etc. 

Edited by casapete
  • Like 3

As a teenager I hated country, but now... I still haven't changed my mind. So that's twice a 180, right? ;)

There are things that I like better/worse than I used to but I don't think I've come to truly dislike something I used to like. In general what's happened is that as time passed I discovered more music and my tastes just widened.

2 hours ago, mcnach said:

As a teenager I hated country, but now... I still haven't changed my mind. So that's twice a 180, right? ;)

There are things that I like better/worse than I used to but I don't think I've come to truly dislike something I used to like. In general what's happened is that as time passed I discovered more music and my tastes just widened.

For me it's because since my 20s I've found so much more interesting music out there than plankspanking, fretw**ky rock guitar stuff that I've developed a hearty disdain for 99.999% of it. Once I started listening to flamenco virtuosos, bluegrass flatpickers, the great jazz guitarists, jaw dropping acoustic fingerstylists and top Nashville session players the so-called rock guitar heroes of my yoot appeared very pedestrian by comparison.

during the 70s there were no real rules as such, punk came and after that maybe it was my age but things started to polarise a lot, but now i'm a lot older im open to anything, no preconceptions ...hell i even like some country (rolling stones helped with that one). Well i say everything but there is one type of music i can honestly say i can never get behind to this day and that is doom metal ...i look at people enjoying and i think wow there must be something there that im missing but nope can't do it  ...it literally sounds like noise ...industrial ambient or neil youngs arc sound melodic in comparison...i guess it must be me. 

16 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

My tastes and openness to new music have greatly widened with age.

Me too.  As have my hips, belly and jowls.  Any connection, do you think?  Is that where we store new music?

Possiibly the wrong thread....

• Haha 5