Why become a member? ×

Groundwound strings, opinions please

uk_lefty

I've recently acquired a fretless jazz bass. The stock strings are ok for now but soon I'll want to change them for something better. I'm thinking of buying groundwounds for the first time... I want the sound of a round but the fretboard-kindness of a flat. Will I get this from a groundwound? My other fretless has stainless steel rounds, I've also used flats and tapewounds before but I think it has to be either biting the bullet on roundwounds (maybe nickel instead of steel) or trying out ground wounds. 

Grateful for any opinions and  recommendations.

Thank you!

• Like 1

I have a set of Status half-rounds on my fretted Duesenberg Star. I believe they're ground. They sound like a good compromise and retain some brightness whilst still giving a decent thump.

I think the thing which inflicts most damage on fretless fingerboards is poor vibrato technique - the sort of sideways stringbending favoured by guitarists seems to be very effective in digging trenches across the neck which line up with the string windings.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

They may have improved since, but when I tried a set of groundwounds some years ago, I found they lost their zing/newness quickly. I'd be inclined to look at some of the bright flats that are on the market.

This.

I've tried groundwounds (a long while ago) for the same reason. To my ears d'addario Chromes do it much better.

I tried a set of D’Addario half-wounds a few years ago. They were quite horrible. The low B sounded like it had been dug up during an excavation at Pompeii. The two replacements sent by D’Addario were exactly the same.

Personally, I’d go for a bright sounding set of flats, something like Thomastiks.

• Like 1

I have 2 sets of Status groundwounds 40-100.

they are donkeys years old now, sound quite dead, but play brilliantly.

I've moved them from fretted to fretless basses over the years as they sounded great and had a feel I loved.

They aren't available anymore so if I were starting from scratch today I'd do as @ambientsays and just go straight to the Thomastik jazz flats.

The caveat being this is from my preference of a low tension perspective. If you like high tension/large gauge strings you may find the Thomastiks a little too pliable

32 minutes ago, ambient said:

I tried a set of D’Addario half-wounds a few years ago. They were quite horrible. The low B sounded like it had been dug up during an excavation at Pompeii. The two replacements sent by D’Addario were exactly the same.

Personally, I’d go for a bright sounding set of flats, something like Thomastiks.

I once tried these and my main beef was how sticky they felt.  Really grabby on my fingers when sliding up and down the string.  Honestly, I don't even remember how they sounded, I chucked them after about 5 mins because of the feel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

I once tried these and my main beef was how sticky they felt.  Really grabby on my fingers when sliding up and down the string.  Honestly, I don't even remember how they sounded, I chucked them after about 5 mins because of the feel.

They were very sticky. Quite horrible all round.

I may be reading between the lines, but looking at the GHS web site - ghs.com  -  they have a nice bright-to-mellow chart. The ground wounds ("Brite flats") have this quote - "The final cover is precisely ground after the string is completed, leaving a smooth finish." Now when you think of grinding anything, there is always a degree of roughness left over.
When you look at the simple text description for "pressure wounds" you have this quote "Fretless players also love how Pressurewounds retain that signature "mwah" tone, while going easy on their fingerboards."

It's a subtle difference but might be worth considering.

• Thanks 1

I am a rounds guy....that being said, I have used GHS Brite Flats before (as you state: sound of rounds, feel of flats). I thought these were fantastic because they really eliminate even more unwanted fretboard noise and artifacts. The reason why I dont use them regularly is for slap style: I get a better trampoline response with rounds (I'd wager there are probably physics involved regarding air and the ridges)....Coming off of rounds, the rebound response with the Brite Flats felt 'spongy'.

Edited by Rib13Bass

2 minutes ago, Rib13Bass said:

I am a rounds guy....that being said, I have used Pressurewounds (GHS Brite Flats) before (as you state: sound of rounds, feel of flats). I thought these were fantastic because they really eliminate even more unwanted fretboard noise and artifacts. The reason why I dont use them regularly is for slap style: I get a better trampoline response with rounds (I'd wager there are probably physics involved regarding air and the ridges)....Coming off of rounds, the rebound response with the pressurewounds felt 'spongy'.

Brite Flats are a different string to the Pressure wounds.

BF are roundwounds that are ground down then polished. Pressure wounds are just that. Roundwound wrap wire that is put under pressure so the string gets an elliptical wrap instead of round, making for a smoother string. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

Brite Flats are a different string to the Pressure wounds.

BF are roundwounds that are ground down then polished. Pressure wounds are just that. Roundwound wrap wire that is put under pressure so the string gets an elliptical wrap instead of round, making for a smoother string. 

i edited right before your reply.......as usual, my timing is off lol

• Haha 1

I have used them and they are ok I think they were what is called half ground by either Rotosound or Ernie Ball.

I swapped them back out because they seem to drag on the fingers despite the smooth ground surface.

For my fretless I use Rotosound TRU BASS

Had them for over 20 years but not played them very often

Still in good condition and still have a good sound

They cost a lot more now though16723845833897065024441605410686.thumb.jpg.cba70f3da0ada115dcf9cda51554e7bc.jpg

I’m a big fan of Ernie ball cobalt flats, they gave qualities of both flat and rounds to my ear.

there was a tu one when some folk complained of rust from these strings, but I’ve never had that problem personally and after 10+ years with conlat flats I’d be hard pressed to agree to change…

1 hour ago, Wonky2 said:

I’m a big fan of Ernie ball cobalt flats, they gave qualities of both flat and rounds to my ear.

there was a tu one when some folk complained of rust from these strings, but I’ve never had that problem personally and after 10+ years with conlat flats I’d be hard pressed to agree to change…

I like the rounds but have never tried the flats. I never had any rust issues either but have had them take on a slightly blackened appearance.

I will have to try the flats.👍

• Like 1