Why become a member? ×

Who was the earliest influence that you tried to sound like

Ralf1e

Please bear in mind that we span many years and styles between us so please no bloodletting

I'll start the ball rolling with Greg Ridley right through from his days with Spooky Tooth to Humble Pie.

Much has changed since then but as a youngster I loved what he did.

Edited by Ralf1e

Chris Squire - generally from the first Yes album I owned, Yesshows, and specifically this bass solo from Ritual. At the time (way before the Internet) I only had the audio recording and I was convinced this was a guitar solo because in my limited experience, no bassist played like this.

I don't think I've come close in terms of technique and I don't own a 4001 but I do tend to play at the dusty end of the neck, often play with a pick and I like that gritty sound (where appropriate).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Bill Wyman, Willie Dixon, Duck Dunn and John McVie.

The influences that came after were just building on those foundations.

I saw John McVie with John Mayals  Bluesbreakers at blues scene at Thames Hotel Windsor and Jeremy Spencer on an old battered slide. Astounding player.

And yes John McVie was a legend of his time

• Like 2

Nobody really. A mate and I started a band when we were about 15 or 16. He was on guitar and I was the singer, for want of a better word. We had a school friend's boyfriend on bass, but he was older than us and had different musical tastes, so I ended up taking on bass duties. I suppose Peter hook might have been an influence as we did a cover of Transmission, but we also covered Peggy Sue, Sheena is a Punk Rocker, House of the Rising Sun and Therapy's cover of Isolation, so there was quite a mix.

I was happy sounding like myself for ages. It wasn't until I was about 20 when Sigur Ros released Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust and was in a post rock band of my own. The tone on Við Spilum Endalaust was what I wanted. I saw the bassist was using a Mustang so I had to have one! Still love that bass. 

• Like 1