Why become a member? ×

Your top 5 session bassists

Grassie

Evening all,

So who do you regard as the best guns for hire in our world of low end? Our go-to gurus, those unsung heroes of the bass world that lurk in the background either on rekkid or on stage?

Heres my 5 in no particular order:

Gail Ann Dorsey

Guy Pratt

Pino

Tony Levin

Doug Wimbish

Some mighty players there, plus some bonafide iconic lines from some (I’m looking at you Pino, Levin, and Pratt). 😎

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Doddy said:

My current favourites....

Will Lee 

Nathan East

Jimmie Lee Sloas

Steve Pearce

Nice to see him on a list.  He is Hamish Stuart's bass player of choice when he tours, seen him a few times in that context and his playing is just sublime.  One incarnation of the band,called 360 Band, has Steve Ferrone on drums and I reckon that is the best rhythm section I have seen live.

Adam Blackstone is in the mix for me. But…..

I’m told 90% of being a session player is how you are on the hang, how easy you are to get along with and punctuality. There are other added bits such as programming for the production or arranging too, stuff we never get to see from the stage. 

Unless you’ve hired them, it’s hard to know how valuable they are outside of the hour or so on stage/ on the records.