Why become a member? ×

Reading Festival

Leonard Smalls

41 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Luckily I’ve not seen this type of behaviour at Rebellion.

Probably a combination of it both being indoors and punks & skins being just that little bit more cultured & civilised.

Sssssh! Don't let the secret out!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Probably a combination of it both being indoors and punks & skins being just that little bit more cultured & civilised.

I suspect that is more to do with the fact that the average age at Rebellion is considerable higher than Reading, I've just returned from Stone Valley, no hint of trouble there either 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mudpup said:

I think they've been watching the Woodstock 99 documentary on Netflix 

That's funny, somebody said exactly that in the Mail comments (I was reading them for a laugh after looking at the pictures in the article). It wasn't you, was it?

5 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Not surprised unfortunately. Reading festival has always stood out as one where trouble nearly always kicks off. I recall my eldest daughter going a dozen years ago and she came home early as trouble was kicking off on the saturday e.g. with bottles of p1$$  liberally being chucked into the crowd. 

3 hours ago, tauzero said:

That's funny, somebody said exactly that in the Mail comments (I was reading them for a laugh after looking at the pictures in the article). It wasn't you, was it?

😂😂😂

Was it Meghan Markle?

Mainstream rock has always been formulaic whether it was glam, hair metal, grunge, emo or anything else popular. If you want interesting music in any genre you have to look on the fringes where bands priorities are more likely to be creativity rather than radio friendly unit shifting. Occasionally one of those fringe bands breaks through to the mainstream (Idles for example) but it's rare.

Same goes for festivals. If you want a great atmosphere and interesting music, head for one of the smaller ones where they book bands they like instead of bands who sell tickets. 

I used to go to Glastonbury every year but now I'd rather go to a small genre specific festival, pay a quarter of the ticket price, see better bands and drink better beer and enjoy a better atmosphere 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Same goes for festivals. If you want a great atmosphere and interesting music, head for one of the smaller ones where they book bands they like instead of bands who sell tickets. 

I used to go to Glastonbury every year but now I'd rather go to a small genre specific festival, pay a quarter of the ticket price, see better bands and drink better beer and enjoy a better atmosphere 

I'm with you there!

There's too much coke* and aggro at the big ones these days. 

*weasel dust. 

19 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

My son went to this with group of friends and left early yesterday as the mood changed. It was his first festival and he said he wouldn't go there again. He went off to get some (overpriced) food and came back to find the tent slashed, camp chairs had been put on the fire, bottles being thrown etc. So they left.

Reading/Leeds and Boardmasters in particular have become right of passage festivals for teenagers who have just finished their GCSE’s. They go in big groups, can’t handle their booze and end up doing stupid things. The last festival I went to (free ticket to Bestival) was full of out of control  very young and immature teenagers who were in a mess. Several groups I saw were a danger to themselves and others around them. There is no way I would have camped next to these guys. I’ve been to several festivals with wasted people but they had the collective maturity to handle their various stages of intoxication.

Apparently there are discussions afoot about making Reading over 18s only after this year’s shenanigans. My daughter went to Reading and reported the same. Her group stayed awake all night and took their tents down due to the random groups of idiots slashing tents.

The people involved aren’t hardcore anarchists just stupid and immature kids.

Edited by tegs07

44 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

I'm with you there!

There's too much coke* and aggro at the big ones these days. 

*weasel dust. 

I don't like drugs, lost a couple mates to them and I hate what the drug trade does plus I've never spoken to someone on coke and not thought they're a c***

At Glastonbury the smell of weed is everywhere and you can guarantee you'll see people wasted and unconscious and you'll encounter dealers. According to friends who've been, at Boomtown there's ketamine and coke everywhere.

I went to Arctangent this year and all I noticed was the occasional puff of weed and most people were sober, not even drunk. It was much nicer and more friendly. 

• Like 1

If you herd 100,000 drunk teenagers into a field and then cut all the entertainment off at midnight then they're going to end up finding mischief. Leeds/Reading has always been a smash up on the last evening and now it has a rep there's some people go expecting it. 

That said, I worked festivals for ten years and there's not been a single one without some level trouble or substance abuse. Latitude is about the most middle-class, arty, Tarquin and Kate festival you've ever seen but I still got threatened with violence on a number of occasions!

If I'd bought a ticket for Reading/Leeds and got presented with this year's terrible line up I may just have rioted too....

No artists there with strong enough material to be remembered in 6 months time let alone in 20 years....

Edited by cetera

20 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

No camping involved is there ? 

1 hour ago, borntohang said:

Not a camping kind of demographic, Rebellion. We're all getting to the age where you don't want to get dressed and booted up just to nip to the bathroom three times a night...

Only having to go three times a night, luxury, pure luxury...................

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, borntohang said:

Not a camping kind of demographic, Rebellion. We're all getting to the age where you don't want to get dressed and booted up just to nip to the bathroom three times a night...

Exactly so very different to the No structure camping festival set up 

You can't riot into the early hours at Brenda's bnb 

Mainstream festival = pop music. ArcTanGent, Green Man etc are on every year, plenty of original acts touring out there who would be chuffed at some new fans turning up.

Reading/Leeds and V etc cater to a slightly younger audience than the average BC member, if they're enjoying it and think it's worth going then that's all that matters really. These days they aren't something I'd personally consider worthwhile but it isn't aimed at me, I'm sure my parents thought the music I listened to in the 90s and early 00s was awful too.

19 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Last time I was at reading, in 83, it ended with half a day in Thames Valley police station waiting to identify nicked stuff.

Last time I was at Reading was 1973.

But I was at Windsor, the pre cursor to Reading, in 1966 and fold up wooden chairs were provided for the audience. It was on the Sunday and the Small Faces topped the bill. Towards the end a bunch of kids piled a lot of the chairs up and made a bonfire!!

7 hours ago, borntohang said:

If you herd 100,000 drunk teenagers into a field and then cut all the entertainment off at midnight then they're going to end up finding mischief. Leeds/Reading has always been a smash up on the last evening and now it has a rep there's some people go expecting it. 

The chaos that I've seen has been during daylight hours. 

I don't think they're even there for the music. 

Ultimately they need to drastically reduce the numbers attending to manageable numbers. 

Edited by TimR