Why become a member? ×

Reading Festival

Leonard Smalls

@Leonard Smalls... The explanation is simple...

The reason why limericks work
And drive some people berserk
Is because there's a rhyme
And that, over time
Folk don't have to think for themselves any more, it's all cut'n'dried for 'em, the dainty little lambs.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I don't own any albums but from  what I've heard of 'Bring Me the Horizon' on the radio over the years they're basically a pop metal band who have they're roots in the Emo thing that manifested in the 2000s.

I don't mind them, they seem to be one of the very few heavy guitar bands put together after the turn of the millenium that has the kind of fanbase that can sell out arenas.

Edited by Cato

My take on this is that the vast majority of music genres and bands has always been formulaic, it's just the further away from the actual time period you get the more you only remember the actual 10 or so stand out great bands / artists.

I don't think it's any worse now than it's ever been.  

The point of difference is really down to personal musical taste.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

I don't think it's any worse now than it's ever been.  

Probably not!

But because I watched for longer than I normally would the whole thing just seemed even more like cynical manipulation; there's the quiet bit, there's the hasty fists pumped toward crowd by bass and guitar, there's the sanitised growly bit, then there's a bit of melody... You could almost imagine a bunch of suits round a boardroom table with a list, making sure that the correct percentage of everything went into each song, and that it never got too heavy just in case a Bieber fan got alienated...

I remember a conversation I had a few years ago with an amazing jazz drummer whose take was "the music is just in you, it's got to come out! I don't really care about the audience, I just have to make my music, and if they like it, great!".

With this lot it didn't look like anything really came from the heart, from a desire to create anything outstanding, more from a desire to make a product that would get them the maximum amount of wedge! Still, each to their own...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

With this lot it didn't look like anything really came from the heart, from a desire to create anything outstanding, more from a desire to make a product that would get them the maximum amount of wedge! Still, each to their own...

This is totally agree with. A lot of popular music is made with the intention of making money and seeking fame, as opposed to creating art. It's a shame, but some one has to please the masses I guess.

The slack will get picked up by niche musicians and appreciated by those that understand it .

• Like 1

There were plenty of c@ck formulaic rock bands jumping on various bandwagons in the 80s, 90s, '00s be it hair metal, death metal,  shred, nu-metal, metalcore, southern rock, pop punk, landfill indie....  The Leeds-Reading line-up isn't the worst I've seen. At least there a few goodish bands like Fever 333, Enter Shikari, Run The Jewels (cracking rap duo).... err that's it. I try to keep an open mind and regularly check out artists who get name-checked as something worth taking notice of. To my ears the only Brit band debuting this century I've time for is Foals.  Nearly everything else is cloned and boring as f3ck. As for North American bands? I'll get back to you if I can think of any.

15 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I went to the Reading Festival some years ago. Was very disappointed to find there were no books. Mis-representation, I call it.

I dated Miss Representation once, she kept pointing out everything twice!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, taunton-hobbit said:

My son went to this with group of friends and left early yesterday as the mood changed. It was his first festival and he said he wouldn't go there again. He went off to get some (overpriced) food and came back to find the tent slashed, camp chairs had been put on the fire, bottles being thrown etc. So they left.

• Sad 3