Jump to content

Unexpected bass playing injuries


Recommended Posts

I've got a strap on at the moment due to peroneal tendonitis... (no sniggering! and it's per-O-neal, not per-I-neal). It's a nasty ankle pain, which appears to be a repetitive strain injury caused by over-enthusiastic foot tapping to keep time - a legacy from our old drummer who didn't seem to be able to do that. 

Any more unexpected bass injuries?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A guitarist/singer I've worked with a lot over the years was nearly electrocuted playing a small bar. The strings actually melted, he still has fine lines where they burned into the edge of his right hand where he was muting across the strings. He was in hospital for a few days, heart rhythm up and down. If there wasn't another musician friend there who realised what was happening while the unfortunate singer was writhing on the floor, he would have been a goner. His saviour got up off his chair, walked over and switched the wall socket off.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This photo is from a big gig at a racecourse, as you can see I was leaping around like I was in The Dillinger Escape Plan.

 

That all came a cropper when a poorly planned jump lead to a badly sprained ankle and I couldn't drive for a couple of days.

 

My heavily pregnant fiancé was thrilled

 

received_454725062790013.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Graham said:

This photo is from a big gig at a racecourse, as you can see I was leaping around like I was in The Dillinger Escape Plan.

 

That all came a cropper when a poorly planned jump lead to a badly sprained ankle and I couldn't drive for a couple of days.

 

My heavily pregnant fiancé was thrilled

 

received_454725062790013.jpeg


Let me guess. We're you playing Just The Way You Are by Billy Joel when this was taken?

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not an injury as such but I'm prone to get occasional unexpected nosebleeds, it's a genetic thing on one side of the family. At a gig around 20 years ago my nose started bleeding mid set on a gig. A girl who I knew in the audience, rushed up to me and stuck a tampon up the offending nostril which I proudly left there, plus the blood down the front of my bass, until the end of the gig. Oh to be young and stupid again :D

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The top hat on my tele’s pickup selector fell off on a gig without me noticing. I gave it the ol’ Townsend twirl on the last chord of a number and promptly skewered my thumb on the metal shaft. Blood everywhere for the whole of the second set, it would not stop bleeding. 
 

Learnt my lesson, haven’t played electric guitar in public since!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I once tore a muscle in the front of my neck putting on my extremely neck-heavy Alembic Stanley Clarke while I was very, very cold. I sold it soon after and I still have problems with that muscle to this day; that was probably 20 years ago.
 

Not an injury to me, but to one of the guys in my band many years ago when we were in a funk band together. We were both leaping about the stage, him going one way, me another, until - in slow motion - we both realised his nose was just in range of the headstock of my Jaydee and connection was unavoidable. I saw his eyes go wide just before impact. There certainly was blood. 😂  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was playing a panto a few years ago, and about half way through the 4 week run I had an infection in my middle finger causing it to swell up a lot. After it was drained, it turned out that a couple of tiny pieces of the coating from the Elixir strings I was trying had come off and gone down the side of my nail. Looking at the string you could see where the coating had peeled off where I play.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At home, I put away the various bits and pieces I'd had out into the bagpipes box that my guitarist had given me, bent over to close it, and stuck like it. I was in my early 20s then.

 

A day or two later I managed to get up to the pub, still bent over. Had a couple of drinks, and somebody passed a joint round. That was some relaxation that worked.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was playing guitar on one occasion and went for a heroic downstroke and smacked the corner of the neck pickup right under the nail of my right index finger. It was beyond painful. 
 

Been smacked in the mouth (by my mic) many times by drunk punters dancing into my mic stand.


And got a load of broken glass in my hand at the end of a gig once from the shards stuck to the gaffer tape i’d used to tape down some cables. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/01/2022 at 19:58, 4000 said:

I once tore a muscle in the front of my neck putting on my extremely neck-heavy Alembic Stanley Clarke while I was very, very cold. I sold it soon after and I still have problems with that muscle to this day; that was probably 20 years ago.
 

Not an injury to me, but to one of the guys in my band many years ago when we were in a funk band together. We were both leaping about the stage, him going one way, me another, until - in slow motion - we both realised his nose was just in range of the headstock of my Jaydee and connection was unavoidable. I saw his eyes go wide just before impact. There certainly was blood. 😂  

Didn't Rhino Edwards smack Judy Tzuke in the nose with the headstock of his bass? 

 

I imagine his particular style of dancing could produce any number of bass-related injuries.... in other people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WinterMute said:

Didn't Rhino Edwards smack Judy Tzuke in the nose with the headstock of his bass? 

 

I imagine his particular style of dancing could produce any number of bass-related injuries.... in other people.

I wondered why he now plays a headless Status!😂👏

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few years ago, I was putting up the bands backdrop prior to a show, while perched precariously on a bar stool in my Cuban heels. Inevitably, I fell off, fracturing a bone in my right arm. Thanks to adrenaline and stupidity, I managed to get through the gig, but I spent the next week in a cast. Rock and Roll?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...