Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a synth pedal

la bam

Hi all,

I'm after a synth pedal for the following:

80s tracks - where bass synth was used - ultravox, human league etc.

Must be able to have presets etc so I can just flick between the patches.

Any extra stuff like built in tuners etc are a bonus but not a necessity. I had a stomp, but the synths didnt really do it for me, but that was 2 years ago, so I'm not sure where they're upto now.

Can anyone recommend anything? Thanks.

• Like 1

Zoom B1-4: Z-Synth patch is as good as anything I was getting on Helix and I'm using it on my live set. The Zoom has a host of other multifx and built-in tuner, very decent drum machine and headphone amp and a basic looper for good measure. Will set you back around £65 new, so you won't beat it on value.

But if you want more high-end with presets, then I agree with Woody, FI would get my vote.

There's a lot of love for the SA C4 on BC too, but it's not my personal cup of tea (lack of decent on-pedal UI / needing additional hardware to make the most of it => quite a high all-in cost etc).

4 hours ago, la bam said:

Hi all,

Any extra stuff like built in tuners etc are a bonus but not a necessity. I had a stomp, but the synths didnt really do it for me, but that was 2 years ago, so I'm not sure where they're upto now.

Yeah definately the Future Impact! It has a tuner and great synth sounds and currently a cheaper option than the C4 which is fantastic,but you need to add a midi controller to access more than 6 sounds.

30 minutes ago, Doddy said:

I still really like the old EHX Micro Synth.  It's not as fancy as new pedals like the Future Impact or the C4  but I think it sounds great and is dead easy to use.

This. I still occasionally fake one of these with an octave, filter and fuzz pedal.

Normally I plump for my Zoom MS60B; I just think the synth sounds are better than on the later Zooms like the B1-4 or B3N

Edited by paul_5

57 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I was thinking about one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282351153083?hash=item41bd70afbb:g:7CoAAOSwZQRYb8OQ

IIRC @Dood did a video for it.

38 minutes ago, Doddy said:

I still really like the old EHX Micro Synth.  It's not as fancy as new pedals like the Future Impact or the C4  but I think it sounds great and is dead easy to use.

I think the OP had presets as a key requirement. 

If we're allowed to include fun, easy to use synth pedals without full presets, then worth also mentioning the Boss SY-1 which has:

- a LOT of different sounds: 121 basic presets which can be individually tweaked with its twin filters;

- the ability to sustain a bass synth while playing your bass line over it;

- an arpeggiator that can be speed adjusted with an expression pedal as well with a dial; and

- the best tracking of any pedal I've come across!

The key minus for me is that it doesn't do classic 80s synth sounds. 

17 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I think the OP had presets as a key requirement. 

If presets are a deal breaker, then I guess it's basically either the Future Impact, Boss SY1000, or C4 with midi controller. To be honest, as much as I love pedals, for the cost of the latter two I'd be more inclined to find an actual synth like an Akai Miniak, Korg Monologue, or Novation Bass Station and play some key bass instead. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, la bam said:

Hi all,

Korg G5. There are a couple for sale in the market place. Why go to a modern emulation when you can go to the actual pedal that was used on a lot of these tracks?

Future Impact, no question. It’s also on a sale price until August 31st and works out at about £228 all-in posted to your door, direct from Panda:

http://pandamidi.com/store/future-impact-v3-bass-guitar-synth

It just reached full maturity with the latest update which added a brilliant patch-management tool to the editor. 

No better time to buy one.

Though, as said, you can get some very attractively-priced keyboard synths these days. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

On 16/08/2021 at 07:14, Al Krow said:

If we're allowed to include fun, easy to use synth pedals without full presets

I'll contribute something a bit different, because everyone loves something a bit different.

Prunes and Custard isn't a synth or a fuzz or a distortion or a chorus or phase or envelope but it is fun combining it with just about anything to get synthy discombobulated yet recognizable notes out of it. By itself it's pretty nifty too but kicking in other pedals it almost qualifies the OP brief.

Disclaimer, I never used it to cop specific cover version synth sounds.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 15/08/2021 at 20:39, Doddy said:

If presets are a deal breaker, then I guess it's basically either the Future Impact, Boss SY1000, or C4 with midi controller. To be honest, as much as I love pedals, for the cost of the latter two I'd be more inclined to find an actual synth like an Akai Miniak, Korg Monologue, or Novation Bass Station and play some key bass instead. 

The EHX Mono Bass Synth pedal, also has presets.

I'm keen on getting a Bass synth but I've kind of given up on trying to use Bass pedals to sound like actual keyboard synths as they never sound quite as good and even if they did they can't ever completely replicate the same things that can be done playing with keys.

Also, the decent ones with presets aren't cheap: A new C4 and DMC micro preset controller will set you back nearly £380  (£229 + £149), new FI is about £300 with taxes and cables, Boss SY-300 is £550, the new Boss SY-200 will be about £280 and might be worth a look as no extra cables needed & no preset controllers needed.

If I was specifically after recreating 80's synth sounds I perhaps would go for an actual synth like those listed in a previous reply, or the Yamaha DX FM. Most are cheaper than the synth pedal options and are going to do a better job of sounding like and playing like a keyboard synth. 

........then again, making a Bass sound like a synth is fun and I suppose it's not all about just doing the most practical option!

20 hours ago, SumOne said:

I'm keen on getting a Bass synth but I've kind of given up on trying to use Bass pedals to sound like actual keyboard synths as they never sound quite as good and even if they did they can't ever completely replicate the same things that can be done playing with keys.

Also, the decent ones with presets aren't cheap: A new C4 and DMC micro preset controller will set you back nearly £380  (£229 + £149), new FI is about £300 with taxes and cables, Boss SY-300 is £550, the new Boss SY-200 will be about £280 and might be worth a look as no extra cables needed & no preset controllers needed.

If I was specifically after recreating 80's synth sounds I perhaps would go for an actual synth like those listed in a previous reply, or the Yamaha DX FM. Most are cheaper than the synth pedal options and are going to do a better job of sounding like and playing like a keyboard synth. 

........then again, making a Bass sound like a synth is fun and I suppose it's not all about just doing the most practical option!

The FI is a bit of an exception as it can be played with keys. I did a blindfold side-by-side with my Moog Subsequent 37 and most people couldn’t tell the difference and many preferred the FI.

If you’re after 80’s stuff then the Korg Volca FM or Yamaha Reface DX are solid choices. 

• Thanks 1

I've been using the EHX mono bass synth pedal since it came out and it's awesome.... and it's only £110. Definitely get the 80s bass synth sounds you want and has an expression pedal input. It's not a fully tweekable synth like the C4 but it really nails the sounds it has and there is an option to save settings. In a recent review of synth pedals on the Andertons YouTube channel they commented 'every bass player should have this pedal' and I agree. Some very phat sounds coming out of this.

7 hours ago, Boodang said:

I've been using the EHX mono bass synth pedal since it came out and it's awesome.... and it's only £110. Definitely get the 80s bass synth sounds you want and has an expression pedal input. It's not a fully tweekable synth like the C4 but it really nails the sounds it has and there is an option to save settings. In a recent review of synth pedals on the Andertons YouTube channel they commented 'every bass player should have this pedal' and I agree. Some very phat sounds coming out of this.

Can you post some of your settings? 😀

2 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Can you post some of your settings? 😀

My fav setting at the moment for Gary Numan style sounds is the Acid preset;

Dry @ 3 o'clock

Synth @ 3

Sens @ 12

Ctrl @ 10

The ctrl setting is less critical on this preset.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Boodang said:

My fav setting at the moment for Gary Numan style sounds is the Acid preset;

Dry @ 3 o'clock

Synth @ 3

Sens @ 12

Ctrl @ 10

The ctrl setting is less critical on this preset.

Love to hear a clip of this setting. As you say, if it nails the 80s bass synth, it's gotta be worth checking out particularly at that price point and with presets.

What is it like in terms of tracking, glitchiness?

@krispn - may be of interest for your new 80s band venture?