Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

34 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Here's a heavily modded '66 Precision on Reverb, whereby the mods were likely carried out in the 1970s (ie  vintage themselves!) Will be overly tinkered with for most people's tastes (and certainly for the collector) but in my opinion it looks quite cool and I would guess it's a great player's bass.

https://reverb.com/item/58282987-fender-66-precision-bass-with-rosewood-fretboard-vintage-70s-mods

Screenshot_20220916_172440.jpg

This is going to sound ridiculous (because it is a ridiculous thing to say!) but, for me, that LOOKS like it’s going to sound great!

Those white DiMarzio p/ups were quite the thing back in the day…

The favourite combination was brass nut , DiMarzio , and BadAss bridge. It seemed like most basses you saw were modified in the mid to late 70’s. And the finale was to add a Jazz pickup. 
And now they’re all mysteriously stock again , it’s rare to see the period mod these days! 
If you like sustain they’re great mods! Older basses were just as likely to get the mods at the time. 

5 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

A 73 precision was listed on eBay a few days back ,and I messaged the seller  asking for a few more pics , while I looked at the pictures someone bought it, you gotta be quick on the button these days 

Was that the one at £2299 buy it now? I’m not surprised it went fast! There is another on eBay, but that’s £4k.

On 14/09/2022 at 10:23, Clarky said:

BassBros has a mojo'd 3TS '72 Jazz for sale. Not sure I could live with the dings on the back of the neck but otherwise very nice https://bassbros.co.uk/product/1972-fender-jazz-bass-2/

I contacted BassBros about this very bass and they confirmed its all-original bar an old replacement tone pot. Frets are in great shape. I did my sums but unfortunately can't stretch to it. But if anyone is interested in the bass and needs some more pics, PM me.

• Like 1

On 20/09/2022 at 15:12, Clarky said:

I contacted BassBros about this very bass and they confirmed its all-original bar an old replacement tone pot. Frets are in great shape. I did my sums but unfortunately can't stretch to it. But if anyone is interested in the bass and needs some more pics, PM me.

I just worked through my finances today to see if I could buy this. I can. It’s sold. Humbug.

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve never had that but I have seen it, apparently some foam degrades into a sticky tar like substance and some just go rock solid,  looks like it cleaned up ok, was it quite a task Brian or did it come off easily 

Hi Tony, not too bad really, just a good sharp blade run gently under the goo....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

My 75 is 10-8 and thats just perfect for me

I had a 78 that was the same weight as the one above and it was a crippler...is over ten pounds just perfect, or is the bass that good that you don't mind the weight? I can't conceive of actually wanting a bass several pounds heavier than it needs to be...

2 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I had a 78 that was the same weight as the one above and it was a crippler...is over ten pounds just perfect, or is the bass that good that you don't mind the weight? I can't conceive of actually wanting a bass several pounds heavier than it needs to be...

I meant to add when sitting down LOL

• Haha 2

Im not a massive fan of maple boards on precision’s (even though I’ve got a few) I prefer rosewood now , but there’s a few early to mid 70s ones for sale at the moment that look quite nice, and this one looks in very good condition https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155213540116?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=6eggpscVQGW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=1wDkd4CjTIi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY