Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

On 22/07/2022 at 22:17, briansbrew said:

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a vintage precision pickup for my 72 P bass which the previous took out and replaced with an after market set, anyway I spotted thes on Ebay a few months back and they are still up for sale but something does not match up. Any advice would be much appreciated..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204040274832?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=-YynQOF7TPm&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=3By1fIwJR72&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Looks like they sold, did you get them?

Si

3 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Yeah, if in doubt, stay away.

Si

I bought them, got better info and pics from the seller. They are dated ‘64 and came from a bass he had with some 70’s parts added too like the bridge which I am waiting for pics of too. I’ll let you know when they arrive if they are as he said 🤞

Edited by walshy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, walshy said:

I bought them, got better info and pics from the seller. They are dated ‘64 and came from a bass he had with some 70’s parts added too like the bridge which I am waiting for pics of too. I’ll let you know when they arrive if they are as he said 🤞

I was very hesitant about buying them, they were on for quite a few weeks, yes let me know when you get them...

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In my experience these dings rarely affect playability. And if so, these could easily be filled up.

The price doesn't seem to bad for an early '70s nowadays, compared to what you see on reverb etc. As they say; it could be a nice player indeed.

Edited by SurroundedByManatees

At the time they were built the tv logo Fenders were horribly inconsistent , you’d play a dozen or so and one would clearly be “the one”. And the next person would choose a different one. 

You really need to play them before purchase , they were all over the map. But the “good” ones were gorgeous. And some were simply god awful.

4 minutes ago, msb said:

At the time they were built the tv logo Fenders were horribly inconsistent , you’d play a dozen or so and one would clearly be “the one”. And the next person would choose a different one. 

You really need to play them before purchase , they were all over the map. But the “good” ones were gorgeous. And some were simply god awful.

Not sure the TV’s were particularly low-quality. QC issues were more apparent from about 75-on, I’d say..?

They were all over the map, but the boat anchors first appeared around 74 or so , and usually had black pickguards , and the tug bar was repositioned to be a thumb rest. 
I still have my 72 , it’s light , and whenever someone would pick it up would invariably say “nice one”. I got lucky.

1 minute ago, msb said:

They were all over the map, but the boat anchors first appeared around 74 or so , and usually had black pickguards , and the tug bar was repositioned to be a thumb rest. 
I still have my 72 , it’s light , and whenever someone would pick it up would invariably say “nice one”. I got lucky.

Yeah.. people say the early TVs was a dodgy period, but it's not really been my experience. I don't think the rot had set in at that time.

11 minutes ago, msb said:

They were not all bad by any means , but they were not consistent. Many were great instruments. In fact I think most were.  We don’t see that variation today with CNC machines. 

No, they weren’t consistent, but they still aren’t in 2022 and weren’t in 1963 (I’ve played some early 60s stinkers).

Edited by wateroftyne