Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

1 hour ago, clarkpegasus4001 said:

I can't recall if I've posted this begore on this thread, but here is my original 1969 Precision with a B neck, c/w original case, both covers (one shown), thumb rest and even the original Fender strap.

20201114_201022.jpg

That’s lovely 👌

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clarkpegasus4001 said:

I can't recall if I've posted this begore on this thread, but here is my original 1969 Precision with a B neck, c/w original case, both covers (one shown), thumb rest and even the original Fender strap.

20201114_201022.jpg

I hate p bass, but i would be the luckiest man with j bass at this finish.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a truly staggering experience today. A friend of mine is selling a few basses for a colleague, and one of them is an August 1960 Jazz Bass. So I said "please don't sell it before I've played it". So today I had some coffee and a few minutes on this amazing instrument. It has had a refret (and a new nut), the pickguard has been removed for many years now so it doesn't fit anymore, but otherwise...boy o boy what a bass. One of the best Jazzes I've ever played, I think. I wish I could afford it.

auXDIZk.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I’m still looking for a 68-72 precision and I saw this, I enquired but looking closer at the pics on my phone there’s some chipping on the fretboard that’s put me off , would you say that’s from a bad refret https://www.reidys.com/bass-guitars-c1349/fender-1971-precision-bass-rw-3-colour-sunburst-p10255/s10855?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=fender-1971-precision-bass-rw-3-colour-sunburst-0000000330329&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&cid=GBP&glCurrency=GBP&glCountry=GB&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImKSz1YjJ-wIVDeztCh1Z3A1HEAQYASABEgIl_PD_BwE

Edited by Reggaebass

6 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

It's all the way up and I call refret - a bad refret. It probably doesn't affect playability, but my guess is that it would always bug you and there doesn't appear to be any reduction in price to reflect the mauling this has had. When I first pulled frets out of a bass with just a screwdriver, needle nosed pliers and no heat applied (I didn't know any better back then), it didn't look as bad as that. 

Edited by ezbass
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Looks like the job I did on removing the frets from my cheapo Yamaha when I converted it to fretless... I used a razor blade and a chisel to get them out... did similar damage to this but i'd wrecked the resale value by respraying it and defretting it anyway!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

It might be salvageable. Someone like Ged Green could do it. He’d have to skim quite a lot off the board and then fret again. Could be expensive to do and given the price, probably not worth the money. 
What a shame. 
Rob

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Owen said:

Is Ged Green taking work on? His website suggests not.  

He has "officially" hung up his tools and retired, but he still does a bit of work for longstanding customers. He still has his workshop and everything in it, and is still building guitars, but they are mostly for himself these days.

He's just finishing a refret on a vintage 335 for me and I'm collecting it on Tuesday.

I can honestly say that I've not come across anyone better in the last 30 years. His work is impeccable. 

One option on ^that P bass would be to replace the board. He did one recently for a friend of mine on another vintage 335 and honestly if he hadn't told me I would never have guessed it was a new board.

4 minutes ago, Owen said:

Ah. Not being one of his long standing customers will rule me out of having him dona couple of setups for me. I had also heard very good things. 

I think I would struggle to get him to do a setup for me. He just likes bigger more interesting jobs now. 

If you're around the Manchester area, you could try Max Cottam? I've known him for a long time, he's done a refret for me 20 years ago which is still going well, and he's got a good reputation. This is all 6 string stuff though, I don't know about his experience with basses. 

Rob