Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

1 minute ago, Aidan63 said:

a players grade instrument at more than fair price, but weirdly not listed on Reverb in the US - worth an hour trying to make a deal ? maybe.....

I’d avoid this like the plague unless the seller is down the street and you can buy the bass in person.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, on Tuesday I bought a late 71 early 72 precision I really liked the look of, nice dark rosewood fretboard, great sunburst and 41mm slim neck, only 1 owner from new, it’s been a real players bass so definitely not a case queen, it arrived with heavy flats which wasn’t for me and a high action , so I’ve spent today setting it up with old  LTF’s from my other precision and it sounds and plays amazing,    now I normally only like 100% original basses (and I’ve turned down lots because they wasn’t) but this has had new pots , apart from that it’s all original, so quick question, would the replaced pots bother you, do you think I’m being too fussy 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

Hi all, on Tuesday I bought a late 71 early 72 precision I really liked the look of, nice dark rosewood fretboard, great sunburst and 41mm slim neck, only 1 owner from new, it’s been a real players bass so definitely not a case queen, it arrived with heavy flats which wasn’t for me and a high action , so I’ve spent today setting it up with old  LTF’s from my other precision and it sounds and plays amazing,    now I normally only like 100% original basses (and I’ve turned down lots because they wasn’t) but this has had new pots , apart from that it’s all original, so quick question, would the replaced pots bother you, do you think I’m being too fussy 

No more than new tyres on a second-hand car. Not the same (maybe...) for a curator of a museum, but I'm not such, soooooo... :|

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Congratulations!! The pots wouldn’t bother me in the slightest (and I assume they brought the price down?) 

The original pots wouldn’t have sounded any different and probably needed replacing.

To me the most important thing about a vintage bass is how it feels and plays. Maybe not to collectors who don’t play, but they’re to blame for the craze anyway!

oh and you can’t just say that and post no pics! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ped said:

Congratulations!! The pots wouldn’t bother me in the slightest (and I assume they brought the price down?) 

The original pots wouldn’t have sounded any different and probably needed replacing.

To me the most important thing about a vintage bass is how it feels and plays. Maybe not to collectors who don’t play, but they’re to blame for the craze anyway!

Thank you ped, that’s the thing it feels and plays really good, I think I just need to get on with playing it and not worrying about things, excuse the messy bass room I’m moving things around 

966A16E6-5287-4B9A-A0E7-25E2646153BF.jpeg

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

Thank you ped, that’s the thing it feels and plays really good, I think I just need to get on with playing it and not worrying about things, excuse the messy bass room I’m moving things around 

Congratulations mate! Looks gorgeous 😍 

No the pots wouldn't bother me either. I agree with dad regarding his tyres analogy. They were replaced because they needed replacing. Now you have the bass you wanted and you know it's tip-top and can be relied upon.

Winner winner...

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

If this feels and sounds the way it looks, I'd certainly not be bothered by replacement pots.

• Thanks 1