Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I know there’s many  people on here that have a great  knowledge of vintage fenders, it’s a big interest of mine, and Inspired by a few other threads where various questions have been asked about things like, serial numbers, bridges, cases, pots, pickups , wiring , tuners etc , some great answers and information came back . so I thought this would be a good place to share it. 

 

Also if you have a vintage fender please show us 🙂

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is the book of knowledge, and a great reference point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my '66P.  I have dozens of pics of the various bits that would probably bore folks on here to tears but happy to share with the OP if of interest.

_MG_0002.thumb.JPG.752f2260f65bebcd9a4a0b5b0da70190.JPG

_MG_0026.thumb.JPG.76f2078297066cb64c66983aecb09f59.JPG

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ead said:

Here's my '66P.  I have dozens of pics of the various bits that would probably bore folks on here to tears but happy to share with the OP if of interest.

_MG_0002.thumb.JPG.752f2260f65bebcd9a4a0b5b0da70190.JPG

_MG_0026.thumb.JPG.76f2078297066cb64c66983aecb09f59.JPG

That’s a stunner ead, I’d happily see some more 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have absolutely decided I love a P bass, and Geddy’s book is also a nice bit of porn.

I’ve popped together some P themed basses that I love. I don’t own one and my birth year was in the stinky poo Fender boat anchor years. I did have a quick play on a vintage one, but I was too early in my bass journey to appreciate it, and furthest I can go back with any assuredness on the feel is the JV 83 P bass - 1 was ok, 1 was very very good, but for the guys who own a vintage one can you describe what it is about them compared to a really good modern one?

Cheers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My late 1962 Jazz (refin)... It’s the nicest bass I’ve ever had the good fortune to play. 

The plant is an essential accessory..! 

image.thumb.jpeg.c8c352b0cb79db7f07cd4d3ae6f5bb59.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like 70s jazz basses because of the different rear pickup placement which gives a unique sound especially for the odd popped note. I should have news on that front and be able to show you mine soon... 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Here’s mine. I’ve had a fair few but I’ve paired it down to one.

Objectively speaking, it’s probably not as good as the modern Fenders, but, just look at it!

It’s a 66 with the lollipop tuners. All original bar the jack socket which had to be replaced.

 

E4428B7C-C252-46EF-AABD-D8E3E529BD7E.jpeg

Edited by Burns-bass
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

I have absolutely decided I love a P bass, and Geddy’s book is also a nice bit of porn.

I’ve popped together some P themed basses that I love. I don’t own one and my birth year was in the stinky poo Fender boat anchor years. I did have a quick play on a vintage one, but I was too early in my bass journey to appreciate it, and furthest I can go back with any assuredness on the feel is the JV 83 P bass - 1 was ok, 1 was very very good, but for the guys who own a vintage one can you describe what it is about them compared to a really good modern one?

Cheers

I did some basic recording of the '66 vs a newish Highway One (with Greasebucket circuit) and sound-wise there wasn't a great deal of difference even with slightly different strings on.  All nickel rounds for the '66 compared to nickel-wound rounds for the HW One.  Not done the full P bass on flats thing yet.

In terms of general feel the vintage bass is lighter, has a nicer finish to the neck that tbf is probably due to it having been played over the years and so has worn down to a lovely silky finish.  The profile is also slightly fatter and this suits me a bit more.  When I bought it I went looking for a well used item on the basis that the fact it had been pre-loved and played as it was a good one.  I think this is the case for the bass.  I do gig it around the place, as much as when I had a more modern US Precision.  The modern bass has long gone so I guess that re-enforces the above.

I have a couple of old violins too and they also compare very favourable to the more modern instrument I have.

It's entirely possible that there is a element of rose-tinted specs about the whole debate and the fact that these basses are costly may subconsciously mean some kind of justification filter is kicking in; who knows.  I love mine and love playing it.

Desperately coveting @Burns-bass 's '66J :$.  That would be a lovely soul mate for my P bass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t doubt the skill in making them compared to the ease of CNC but I do think the differences are minimal at best, a bravewood / limelight replica is probably as good as an old fender 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ead said:

I did some basic recording of the '66 vs a newish Highway One (with Greasebucket circuit) and sound-wise there wasn't a great deal of difference even with slightly different strings on.  All nickel rounds for the '66 compared to nickel-wound rounds for the HW One.  Not done the full P bass on flats thing yet.

In terms of general feel the vintage bass is lighter, has a nicer finish to the neck that tbf is probably due to it having been played over the years and so has worn down to a lovely silky finish.  The profile is also slightly fatter and this suits me a bit more.  When I bought it I went looking for a well used item on the basis that the fact it had been pre-loved and played as it was a good one.  I think this is the case for the bass.  I do gig it around the place, as much as when I had a more modern US Precision.  The modern bass has long gone so I guess that re-enforces the above.

I have a couple of old violins too and they also compare very favourable to the more modern instrument I have.

It's entirely possible that there is a element of rose-tinted specs about the whole debate and the fact that these basses are costly may subconsciously mean some kind of justification filter is kicking in; who knows.  I love mine and love playing it.

Desperately coveting @Burns-bass 's '66J :$.  That would be a lovely soul mate for my P bass.

Thanks for that, taking rose tints away I sort of suspected that. I am not sure if your Sandberg has any form of ageing but is there any comparison with ‘maturation’ of sound? Certainly my MarloweDK, which has 70s spacing @ped I think fits that, as have masterpieces I have played.

Anyhow - back to Fenders, look forward to piccies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are a couple of mine, if we are on a CAR theme. Any excuse......

love the 66 btw.

 

0YPylI2.jpg
I7RzV4j.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, GuyR said:

Here are a couple of mine, if we are on a CAR theme. Any excuse......

Stunning 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GuyR said:

Here are a couple of mine, if we are on a CAR theme. Any excuse......

love the 66 btw.

 

0YPylI2.jpg
I7RzV4j.jpg

Very nice guy, I’ve probably asked before but what year is the bottom one 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That first picture needs cropping, Guy 😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, owen said:

I love to dig out these photos

P + J.jpg

IMG_0881.JPG

I’ve tried the one on the right! :D First time I had tried a 60s fender - oddly enough, (having played a few jazzes) my first thought was”this sounds a lot like my Sadowsky will Lee jazz” Not sure that’s at all useful comment at all though. 

Love the one on the left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cuzzie said:

Someone needs to come out with an Antigua One - love that finish

I know someone @Chewie who had one but I think it sold 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It’s on the list for me - this thread will make me save pop and crisps money for to one day buy

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Very nice guy, I’ve probably asked before but what year is the bottom one 

Bottom one is 62. The others 65. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...