Marc S

NBD, huge surprise, and white or Tort?

Well, I've had a big, pleasant surprise. I took a bass in trade, and it has blown me away! I had a Squier CV precision in the past... Sold it and regretted it. But I recently got this one in trade, and it's even better that the Fiesta Red one I had before. That red CV was amazing, but this one (sonic blue) is one utterly amazing bass.

I took it to rehearsal the night I got it, and it sounded as awesome as it plays. It's lightweight, looks lovely, and is the most comfortable P bass I've ever played! It's a better player even than my JV, and sounds as good.... Perhaps it sounds even better? I can't quite believe it. I know many people will think I must be mad, but I've owned US, Mex, VM Squier, Japan & Roadworn p's and this is the best one. It has surprised me, to say the least :o

Oddly enough, I don't normally like to keep the bridge cover on a bass, but I like it on this bass. Anyhow, couple of pics, and a question - should I keep the original slightly yellowed white pickguard, or change for my favourite Tort?

IMG_20190615_182521874_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20190615_182330456.jpg

IMG_20190615_182015423.jpg

• Like 3

Looks great with the off white I reckon - CLASSIC 😎 and very nice too 😊

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yep, definitely stick with the white.

Congrats on the bass by the way. They do tend to deliver well above expectations. Without wishing to cause John to blush, the fitted Kiogon loom is a great upgrade on these (I have the same on mine). Enjoy!

Edited by Deedee
Corrected my appalling England
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Tort all the way!

And congrats on the bass, it’s great when you find an instrument that you just gel with instantly.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

I played one of these many years ago and was amazed by the quality. P/G wise, white over the tort, but I’d like to see it with mint or a  3 ply black/white too.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

Looks great with the off white I reckon - CLASSIC 😎 and very nice too 😊

I forgot to mention earlier, that it's already got a Kiogon loom installed too. Perhaps that helps it sound so nice :)

I must say, though I'm not normally a fan of white pickguard, I am tempted to keep white on this bass. I can picture it with a minty guard too.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marc S said:

I forgot to mention earlier, that it's already got a Kiogon loom installed too. Perhaps that helps it sound so nice :)

I must say, though I'm not normally a fan of white pickguard, I am tempted to keep white on this bass. I can picture it with a minty guard too.....

Ha! Of course 👍

Card carrying, dyed in the wool tort fan that I am, I say ... white this time 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Card carrying, dyed in the wool tort fan that I am, I say ... white this time 

Yes, I'm a dyed in the wool Tort fan myself. But when I popped the Tort guard in place for that photo... It looked nice, but not as good as the white. Just something about that pale blue colour

Edit: if it had come with Tort fitted, I'd never have tried white with it

Edited by Marc S

4 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I reckon that'd rock white pearloid.

No. Less is more.

Sorry, I am quite opinionated about scratchplates.

This is embarrasing. I looked at both pickguards and thought, hmmmm, something's not quite right with the looks - I think its the fact that its blue.......then I looked at my own guitar and realised it was.......blue......whoops! In defence, mine is Lake Placid Blue though, which seems to "pop". 

Personally, mine has a white pickguard but there's something about the tort too. I'd leave the white on for now, but definitely do the swap every now and again (just make sure both use the same holes......when I did my last pickguard swap, I had to fill and redrill - but it was Japanese).

Are you keeping it?

@paul_c2, I've left the white on for now. The holes on the Tort guard look as if they line up really well, but there are a few minor differences in overall shape of the guard, but it's a good fit..

I'm definitely keeping this bass. I really liked the Fiesta Red CV I had, and regretted letting it go - it was a lovely bass.... But this one's even nicer. I had intended to leave this bass at our guitarists place, where my band rehearses - but now I'll leave another bass there, perhaps sell one.

I just can't stop picking this bass up :)

1 hour ago, BreadBin said:

I reckon that'd rock white pearloid.

Nah - cream pearloid - it’s more relic innit 

• Like 1

Mint green  see the custom shop 60s P that came out a couple of years back. Just looks great!

• Like 1

In general I'd say tort, but that particular P/G isn't really doing it for me, sorry :(  Maybe somrthing a bit darker?

1357436369_Withtort.jpg.a31664cdc49fb91af702793871000a3d.jpg