Why become a member? ×

Fun little 30 bass comparison

Mudpup

Theres a thing on the "other" site - have a look at this video then list your top 3 basses just for fun

Heres mine - 

MTD Super 5
Sandberg California
Dingwall Leland Sklar

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

@Mudpup I see you’ve edited your list. The Fender Pino Precision has been usurped by the Dingwall Lee Sklar!

Yeh, i couldn' t decide. Would it be ones i would use regularly or just stuff i liked. The Vigier and other MTD nearly made it too :-) 

It would have been a better comparison if all the basses were played in the same way. Slapping one and then heavily palm muting another doesn't give a great idea of what they sound like. 

A wider range of basses and styles would have been nice. And I doubt everything is 'wide open' either. 

Yeah, I'm having a bad day before anyone asks 🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CameronJ said:

For me it’s

MTD Super 5

Alembic Custom J

Xotic XJ-1T Lightweight

a combined cost of £11,300 :/ evidently I have expensive taste!

Same first 2 but I went Spector rather than the Xotic - if the Mayones had been the Jaba 4 custom that's in stock it would have been that instead of one of them - it wasn't a fair comparison but a bit of fun

That was hard, well it was to pick just 3. Some were, "No!" straight away, but there was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing for me. I landed on the Lakland, Maruszczyk and Fodera Monarch eventually. If I could've had a 4th, it would've been the Yamaha Attitude. The Fender P and J relics were in the running for a good long time too and I quite liked the Smith. Obviously my ears are biased as I own a couple of Maruszczyks and had a Lakland 5502 about 4 years ago.

Am I the only one shocked by how phat and bassy the Stingray was?

Why would you be? The Stingray (especially the older models) are known for being fat & bassy...think Bernard Edwards from Chic or John Deacon from Queen (Good Times/Another One Bites The Dust for instance).

Most Stingray demos you see online sound terrible because it's a very delicate EQ that takes time getting used to.

Also, the 2-band is "bassier" because of no HPF.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kyuuga said:

Why would you be? The Stingray (especially the older models) are known for being fat & bassy...think Bernard Edwards from Chic or John Deacon from Queen (Good Times/Another One Bites The Dust for instance).

Most Stingray demos you see online sound terrible because it's a very delicate EQ that takes time getting used to.

To be honest, having never owned a Stingray I'm not that familiar with them, despite having had GAS for a 5er a number of times. I've heard the 2-band vs 3-band argument before but didnt realise the 2-band doesn't have an HPF (or that the 3-band does!) so that's very useful to know. Presumably the Stingray in the video is a 2-band?!

2 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I'll have;

Smith BSR 5 TN

Warwick Infinity SN4

The Vigier.

But I may be biased...

Funny that - another Vigier player who enjoys the sound of a Smith. 

Those two were my faves too but I also really liked the Zon and the first MTD

To be honest, having never owned a Stingray I'm not that familiar with them, despite having had GAS for a 5er a number of times. I've heard the 2-band vs 3-band argument before but didnt realise the 2-band doesn't have an HPF (or that the 3-band does!) so that's very useful to know. Presumably the Stingray in the video is a 2-band?!

2-band vs 3-band isn't really that different in terms of sound to be honest. You can get both to sound equal with proper EQ, it's more about if you need a mid control or if you prefer simpler EQ settings. But yes, the 3-band is rumored to have an HPF because the original 2-band could get very boomy when you turned the bass up. And Scott is playing a Musicman Stingray Classic in that video, a re-issue of the original pre-Ernie Ball Stingrays from the late 70s/early 80s. 

Stingray 5'ers are some of the best 5'ers you could possibly get. Let the GAS consume you... ;)

6 hours ago, kyuuga said:

Not true when it comes to the 3 band only Stingray Special - the 18 v electronics with Neo magnet pick ups, result in a bass EQ with much more bass potential than the 2 band - more reminiscent at the upper end of the Bongo bass or low mid EQ controls. 

The pre 2018 3 band has a HPF. I suspect the new one does and is a component of the clever revoicing of the Stingray. 

Nice playing on that video - my favourites - Stingray, Fodera, CS Precision and did I miss it - Where was the Rickenbacker. 😯

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

It would have been a better comparison if all the basses were played in the same way. Slapping one and then heavily palm muting another doesn't give a great idea of what they sound like. 

A wider range of basses and styles would have been nice. And I doubt everything is 'wide open' either. 

Yeah, I'm having a bad day before anyone asks 🤣

I agree.

As much as it's still a cool wee video as it is, it would only really be a useful comparison if the same thing or at least style was played on each.

The Sheehan, for example, gets a wee riff at about the 20th fret, doesn't even get any proper bass notes.

Easy. The 'get up and go to work' P BASS, a bit like what Scott's got in his mitts at the end of the vid. 

And the basses I'd walk right by (or take as a gift and flog, immediately): Fedora silly-shape; Alembic headlight, Hofner violin, EB3, and a few others I immediately forget.

Hope that helps :)