Why become a member? ×

Bass players who take their hand off the neck

PaulWarning

15 hours ago, lurksalot said:

OH now that is uncool :o

The left hand should be hammering on , pasties, pies and chips are right hand food   :D

Just depends which side your stack is, with your pasty/pie/fish & chips keeping hot on top of your valve amp 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What about if you take your left hand off for a second to relieve carpal tunnel pins and needles, then notice someone with a camera while your simultaneously catching your breath after being too energetic and the resulting photo just looks like you want to kill someone. I was really enjoying this gig as well, honestly 😁

FB_IMG_1538001617396.thumb.jpg.a647cbd569890a69553a0dd7ff255217.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Maude said:

What about if you take your left hand off for a second to relieve carpal tunnel pins and needles, then notice someone with a camera while your simultaneously catching your breath after being too energetic and the resulting photo just looks like you want to kill someone. I was really enjoying this gig as well, honestly 😁

FB_IMG_1538001617396.thumb.jpg.a647cbd569890a69553a0dd7ff255217.jpg

You're in good company. Here's how Bruce Thomas plays an open E:

bruce thomas Capture.JPG

• Like 2

I'll tell ya' what grinds my gears:

Bass (and guitar) players who constantly whip their hand up and down the neck during every possible rest (or open) note.

It's not like they're playing a slide or anything.

Just looks like they're pointlessly trying to warm the neck up.

If they kept a duster between the thumb and forefinger, they could give the neck a good polish while they're at it.

Losers. ☹️

Edited by Ricky 4000

12 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Bass (and guitar) players who constantly whip their hand up and down the neck during every possible rest note.

If they kept a duster between the thumb and forefinger, they could give the neck a good polish while they're at it.

Losers. ☹️

yep, that's another one, we supported the Anti Nowhere League once and the bass player did it all gig when playing open A and there's a lot of open A in league songs

1 minute ago, PaulWarning said:

yep, that's another one, we supported the Anti Nowhere League once and the bass player did it all gig when playing open A and there's a lot of open A in league songs

So what? 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

is it just me or does anybody else find it irritating when bassists take their hand off the neck when playing an open string, usually with a 'look at me aren't I clever' look on their faces? when it's exactly the opposite to being clever.

It's the bass player's equivalent of riding no handed on a bike - you can get away with doing it when you're a teenager, but any older and not only do you look like a knob, it's very likely to go pear shaped 🍐😬

Ride-No-Handed-on-a-Bike-Step-7.jpg

Edited by tedmanzie
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

not many share my opinion then, us bass players are the most underrated members in the band, guitarist's think it's easier and the public don't really know what we do, not helped by being low in the mix a lot of the time, and only last night someone said to me " I've tried guitar and couldn't do it, might try bass it looks easier".

So standing there playing an open string with the freting hand dangling by your side sort of disrespects us IMO YMMV

Think if its a "drop the hand from the neck and pose for the camera" kind of stance then i'm with you and agree it just looks naff. 

However if its to adjust your amp or scratch yourself (but not your bum or intimate areas.....or anyone else's for that matter) then its probably acceptable.

I try not to make it obvious i'm doing very little and would rather keep both hands on bass unless its a crowd involvement section to assist in the clapping of hands. xD

Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Bass (and guitar) players who constantly whip their hand up and down the neck during every possible rest (or open) note.

This is one is so dreadful that makes me want to take off my hand from the neck to facepalm

I'm afraid I commit both of the sins highlighted in this thread.

And i do so knowingly and with a big, cheesy, look-at-me grin on my face.

But then, what I do in the privacy of my own house, in front of my own mirror is nobody's business but mine.

I'd never do it at a gig though.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I suspect the mistake a lot of you more, ahem, sedentary bassists are making is assuming we're 'showing off' or 'trying to be cool' rather than just having fun or getting carried away. I don't quite know why what someone else chooses to do while playing bass should upset you in any way, or affect you at all really, but each to their own.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

They also put water on snare drums, too much coolness in the same band!

Edited by oZZma