Why become a member? ×

Live Albums - Were You There?

spongebob

I was at the recent Live at Hammersmith release from The Darkness... can't think of any other music ones, but I'm somewhere in the crowd for Bill Bailey's Part Troll if that counts. There was a bit of Slayer in there I suppose!

This all pales next to my Dad's efforts as he was present for Genesis Live, IOW festival 1970, Queen at The Rainbow '74, and Deep Purple Live In London - the hooligan yelling 'Smoke on The Water!!' - that's him.

• Like 1

I'm in the audience at Newcastle City hall Christmas eve 1977 for Lindisfarne's 'magic in the air' then a month later for BOC recording Godzilla and We gotta get out of this place for the 'Some enchanted evening' album.

Also in the crowd at Knebworth 1979 when Led Zeppelin played their last UK gig - I believe this has only appeared on the 2 disc box set from 2003.

14 hours ago, Sandypjb said:

I was at Rush's gig at the NEC Birmingham on the 'Show of Hands' video. I think it was the 'Hold Your Fire' tour. Great gig it was too.

I was at Wem-ber-ley Arena the following two days. My chums and I had discussed getting Brum tickets as well but had decided not to in the end! :(

However, I do appear on Gary Moore’s video of the Still Got The Blues tour gig at Hammersmith with the two Alberts (King and Collins) and on his Blues Alive double CD and video at the Royal Albert Hall.

My brother always claimed you could hear him yell on Rory Gallagher’s Irish Tour album. To be fair he did go to those gigs...

14 hours ago, Sandypjb said:

I was at Rush's gig at the NEC Birmingham on the 'Show of Hands' video. I think it was the 'Hold Your Fire' tour. Great gig it was too.

Almost forgot...!

And since I was crewing and merching for Threshold at the time I was on the Critical Energy album and DVD, Live in Paris, Live in Switzerland and Surface to Stage live albums. I also filmed the tour documentary for the Critical Energy DVD bonus features and got caught on camera for about 30 seconds when Rich, the keyboard player decided I needed a taste of my own medicine.

I was at Thunder gig in 2009 that they released a DVD from on their, “20 years and out, farewell tour.” I have of course seen them several times since they subsequently got back together.

Other than that, with the advent of bands recording and selling gigs on the night, I have a few CDs of concerts I’ve attended, but nothing that would be seen as a major live release from a band.

Think I may be on the 'Love you Live' album by The Stones, some of which was recorded at their Earls Court gigs in 1976. ( They did a few nights though, so maybe not! )

I was definitely in the audience captured on the CD and DVD by Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes called 'From Southside to Tyneside'. Was recorded at The Opera House in Newcastle in 2002, stonking gig and a great venue too. I'm also in the crowd on a Springsteen live bootleg recorded on The River tour at Newcastle City Hall in the early 80's - know it was the same gig as there was a local guy behind me shouting for 'Thunda Rowad' all the way through which you can hear on the recording..🙁

1 hour ago, TrevorR said:

Threshold...... Rich, the keyboard player

Through a marvellous episode of serendipity, I discovered the band when I was bored at work one day and googled my name, as you do... he came up in the results. Superb band, but a shame they parted ways with Damian. I prefer his voice to Glynn's. 

One of my other google results was the real name of Mr.C from The Shamen. Not so superb :lol:

• Haha 1

I've a couple of tenuous ones...

1. Years ago I saw The Hamsters in Milton Keynes - I'd had no prior warning that they were filming that gig specifically to generate footage for a live DVD. They were their usual, reliably entertaining selves, though it did feel a bit odd when they "broke the fourth wall" towards the end and started discussing which songs they wanted to get another take of. Tenuous, because I never did find out whether said live DVD was finished and released.

2. I am in the audience on the DVD release of Bill Bailey's Part Troll show. (Tenuous, because his act is more "comedy with musical bits" than a band.) A group of friends managed to get tickets for one of several nights at Hammersmith. When the DVD was released, we weren't sure which night - or nights - the footage had been compiled from. Not, that is, until he started talking about hash brownies, and asked the audience what else they had cooked with weed - somebody yelled out "stroganoff", and at that point we knew, yep, that was the night we were there.

I was at three or four..all Hammersmith Odeon. 

The 1980 section of Whitesnake Live In The Heart of The City (CD2 or vinyl sides 3 & 4). 

Blackfoot Highway Song Live.

The live album that's now bundled with the 40th anniversary of Rush's A Farewell to Kings.

Whether it counts or not there's also a couple of BBC transcription albums too.  Japan at Hammersmith Odeon and Specimen at The Paris Theatre.

Edited by NancyJohnson

Dream Theater's Once in a Livetime was mostly recorded in Paris, but I was at the Camden gig shortly before/after, and I am fairly sure the inside pic of the band and first few rows of fans was from the gig I went to - because I am fairly certain it's my balding head and glasses in the 3rd row. Awesome gig.

Like one or two others I was at the Rush NEC gig (Show of Hands) and Black Sabbath 'reunion' gig. I'm not sure but I might have been at one of the gigs that ended up on It Bites live album with Dunnery still in the band. I was definitely at the Europe gig at the Roundhouse a couple of years back, not checked yet but I might even be on the DVD front cover. I was probably at gigs from Rock City that have ended up as bootlegs or tracks on official live compilation albums as a lot of pro recording was done at RC in the 80's particularly for local radio broadcasts.

Not on a full album, but on parts of 4.

1. Little Feat - Rainbow August 1977 - Waiting for Columbus

2. Steve Hillage - Rainbow November 1977 - Live Herald

3. Janis Ian - RFH November 1995 - Working Without A Net

4. Janis Ian - Union Chapel 2000? - Unreleased 2

Edit. Just re-rereading the thread, I've spotted one more

5. Sex Pistols - Finsbury Park 1996 - Filthy Lucre Live

Edited by MrCrane

I was in the crowd at Wembley Arena when in 1990 when Slayer recorded their video for War Ensemble - it was quite insightful to metal bands attitude at the time. Tom explained that they were going to do a video, that they hadn't really done one before and that they were going to sing and play but it would be to a recorded track - this, they'd been told, was how it was done but they wanted to be honest about it before they started.

Now, this isn't metal at all and the whole of the assembled masses went 'ooh' and started grumbling immediately - the band looked actually pretty shaken by the response, Tom tried to explain - then lost his rag and stormed back stage - I was up the side and could see lots of pointing, shouting, shaking of heads and general gesticulation.

Tom, returns - says " F 'em - we're doing it live." Crowd very happy - it's a crap video though  \m/ 😂

Edited by redbandit599

I'm on an "official bootleg" of a Peter Gabriel gig at Wembley Arena from the Growing Up tour, heckling in the intro to (I think) The Barry WIlliams Show. 

Also I'm in the Solsbury Hill from the Live Blood, in the footage from Hammersmith Odeon. It's the "old blokes dancing shot" from about 4m40s here (ps I am not dancing)

• Like 1

Also I was interviewed live on BBC News 24 in the queue to pick up tickets for the Led Zep reunion, the day before the gig. The first thing I did was to correct the BBC reporter live on air, which I suspect is probably treasonable

Off the top of my head and in no particular order (and ignoring the Disc Live type gigs recorded to be sold to the punters who are there):

Foo Fighters live at Hyde Park DVD

Motorhead - The Birthday Party

Black Sabbath - Seventh Star, live  bonus disc from the deluxe reissue (truly terrible quality)

Venom - Live at Hammersmith 1985 (a Friday Rock Show recording that seems to have made it on to CD now)

Megadeth - Live at Hammersmith 1987 (ditto)

I suspect that there are more that I've forgotten about and I have a few bootlegs of gigs I was at too, but sadly no Live & Dangerous type classics

I also have one near miss - I saw Faith No More at Hammersmith the day before they recorded You Fat B#stards at Brixton