Why become a member? ×

Songs you absolutely hate

lozkerr

On 11/07/2023 at 16:03, casapete said:

I actually quite like ‘You’ll never walk alone’, and aren’t a footy fan either.

It’s one of those songs you think is easy to busk but then catches you out - well it has me a few times anyway.

Also love ‘Ferry cross the Mersey’ too, despite me having no Liverpool connection. Great tune.

It's just the football thing for me. Im sure I would quite like it otherwise 😄

6 hours ago, ricksterphil said:

Horse with no name was written as a send up of Neil Young songs I thought.....

bit like the 'Southern Man' song by Young with 'Sweet Home Alabama' by Skynyrd as a repost......no love lost betwixt the two apparently  

For years I actually thought it was Neil Young singing it. I can't stand his voice, so consequently hate Horse With No Name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/07/2023 at 10:07, Crusoe said:

Place Your Hands by Reef. That song could drive me to murder. The way the singer mangles his vowels. He sounds like he has a mouthful of rubber bands.

True.

On 11/07/2023 at 10:34, Geek99 said:

Cool bassline though 

Also true. Hate the song with a passion, quite enjoyed playing the bassline when my old covers band did it. Better than having to plod through something you dislike with an equally uninspiring bass part to boot.

I thought that BC was pretty much just for us low-enders but it has become apparent to me that someone in the cover band I help out has access to this thread and is treating it like an advice column to add to my setlist from Hell every month.

Also, I'm 5,000 miles away from the UK now but if anyone starts a crowdfunder for the abduction/ assassination of George Ezra, hit me up 😉

• Like 1

Luckily the only cover we do is a punkclassic (Penetration's "Don't Dictate") which I've made sure I like playing by sticking some of Cameo's "Word Up" and a splodge of the Crass ""Walls (fun in the oven)" in.

I wouldn't play a song I didn't like because I'm on stage purely to fuel my ego, not to keep various drunk folks who don't like actual music and moreover, don't understand my genius, happy!

:biggrin:

• Like 2

On 12/07/2023 at 19:49, Crusoe said:

For years I actually thought it was Neil Young singing it. I can't stand his voice, so consequently hate Horse With No Name.

I really like Neil Young's songs, particularly when my own mood is on the dark side. His voice is a bit marmite though. Bit like Tom Waits, many of my mates love him and he's written some top choons, but his voice gives me the heabies....think nails down a blackboard....yurgh

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ricksterphil said:

Bit like Tom Waits, many of my mates love him and he's written some top choons, but his voice gives me the heabies....think nails down a blackboard....yurgh

I kinda know what you mean about Tom. Sometimes people who write great songs aren’t always the

best people to record them etc.

Having said that, I was driving back from a gig late one night a few years ago and his amazing version

of ‘Somewhere’ ( from West Side Story) came on the radio, and his voice damned near moved me to tears.

A true one off, wonderful artist.

Edited by casapete
grammar malfunction
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I've never played it I'm glad to say, as I recall it seems to jump about all over the place too.. 

I've never played the song either; long may that state of affairs continue.  Bloated, self-important and uninspiring, in my view.

• Like 1

Long since out of the UK and if bands over there are putting Wayward Son in the setlists, I shall continue keeping my distance. Kindly shoot all future references to that sonic türd back to TalkbAss, where it is apparently still relevant 🙏🏻

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

I'm currently trying to figure out a polite way to tell the rest of the band that I'd rather sandpaper my nipples than play Wayward Son.

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I've never played it I'm glad to say, as I recall it seems to jump about all over the place too.. 

it’s certainly a challenge getting that one nailed.

• Like 1