Why become a member? ×

Bands you didn`t like when they were going, but do like now?

Lozz196

Pretty simple really, does anyone have bands that they like no, but when said bands were actually going, didn`t like them at all?

For me it was Guns N Roses. At their hey-day they were (imo) far too bluesy sounding for me, whereas now I kick myself that I didn`t get into them at the time.

Anyone else regularly eat a slice of hindsight?

David Bowie. Disliked almost everything before Scary Monsters (which I loved), despised Space Oddity (and still not a fan), hated most of the stuff since then (not helped by the collaborations). Slowly started to get my head around some of it in the last few years. Now I've caught on.

Isis (the band not the terrorist group obviously). Used to see them as a Tool clone band but when I gave them a proper listen they were far more than that.

Missed out on going to see them and Aereogramme in Glasgow years ago. Regret that now.

To be honest, there are not many others that come to mind. Perhaps early Deftones would count as I didn't like White Pony much at all when it originally came out. Now I really like most of their output.

Dare I say Oasis? Twenty years removed I must admit that some the songs are great.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1506269010' post='3377468']
[b]Isis[/b] (the band not the terrorist group obviously). Used to see them as a Tool clone band but when I gave them a proper listen they were far more than that.

Missed out on going to see them and [b]Aereogramme [/b]in Glasgow years ago. Regret that now.

To be honest, there are not many others that come to mind. Perhaps early Deftones would count as I didn't like White Pony much at all when it originally came out. Now I really like most of their output.

Dare I say Oasis? Twenty years removed I must admit that some the songs are great.
[/quote]

I was at a poorly attended gig the other night and the conversation turned to great bands who nobody liked. I must have seen Aereogramme play half a dozen times to audiences of 25 people or less between A Story In White and Sleep and Release. Great band. Also, Panopticon by Isis is a total monster of a record. You already knew that though. Different topic.

I hated the Smiths in the 80s but really like them now. I blame Moz's 80's media ubiquity. I feel like I can just listen to the records without the commentary.

Edited by radiophonic

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1506256436' post='3377334']
I wish I'd got into Rush before I did. First album I bought was Hold Your Fire, first time I saw them was on that album tour.
[/quote]

They are the first band that came to mind. Never listened to them before about 2 months ago when i came across a youtube video in the recommended videos, called 'Rush best intro ever', clicked on it out of curiousity and was blown away. Bought a greatest hits cd (The spirit of radio) which i really enjoyed but preferred listening to them live. Would have been a great band to have seen live so kinda regret not seeing them live.

Placebo are up there as one of my favourite bands now, I have never disliked them but just didn't get them for a few years. They were very much take it or leave it or to me, then almost overnight I just seemed to click with them and now love almost all of their stuff. Similar with Stiff little fingers when I was a teenager, I didn't hate them but didn't get them. Then at about 16 got really into suspect device and the rest is history as they say.

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1506269788' post='3377478']
Also, Panopticon by Isis is a total monster of a record. You already knew that though. Different topic.
[/quote]

It's a belter, though Oceanic is my favourite.

For me it's Cave In, I didn't really rate them back in the early 2000s, saw them supporting the Foos and thought they were okay but nothing special.

These days, they're one of my favourite bands and I'd love to see them again. They're not technically split, but rarely do any live performances or recordings - being all quite busy with other projects.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1506254465' post='3377314']
For me it was Guns N Roses. At their hey-day they were (imo) far too bluesy sounding for me, whereas now I kick myself that I didn`t get into them at the time.
[/quote]

Well, you are lucky in that now you can enjoy them without the crushing disappointment of seeing them live!

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1506287545' post='3377689']
As a youth of the 80's/90's, the band Chicago was always synonymous with cheesy rock ballads. It's only in the last year that I've discovered how superb their earlier output was.
[/quote]
I have exactly the same problem with a lot of bands.
It seems alot of bands changed their style in the eighties and had hits with terrible songs. This was my first encounter with these bands and turned me off immensely, only later finding out a lot of them were very good in the seventies.

OK this is not a band and my choice may shock and surprise you but I've grown to like Britney Spears!

One of my daughters was a fan when "Hit Me Baby, One More Time" was a hit and I thought the song was irritating to say the least. Then some time after it had faded from the charts I heard it and really listened to it. I was impressed by the production and overall feel of the song. When I bought a cheap MP3/4 player a Britney Spears video had been loaded as a demo. The song was "Sometimes" and I really liked it. I was in the Pound Shop and found several of her CDs (for £1 each) so bought a couple. I cannot say I like everything she records but I do appreciate many of her recordings. I'm in my mid 60s so maybe I'm not supposed to like Britney Spears but I do. Maybe by the time I'm a hundred I may have grown to understand the whole Adelle thing - no that won't ever happen!

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1506276921' post='3377544']
The BeeGees. Ok it's a guilty pleasure but it's taken me to be a bit of an older bloke (early 40s) to realise what great songwriters and singers they were.
[/quote]
Yes! Same here.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1506254465' post='3377314']
Pretty simple really, does anyone have bands that they like no, but when said bands were actually going, didn`t like them at all?

Anyone else regularly eat a slice of hindsight?
[/quote]

Goodness, never thought of G'N'R as bluesy.

For me possibly Duran Duran falls into this category, to the point where I went out and bought the Rio CD recently.

Steely Dan - for a long time i thought they were a bunch of smart arsed pseuds. I still think they're smart arsed but pretty damn good at that
Deftones and System of A Down - I guess the loose nu-metal association stopped me appreciating them but now I've all their albums

of course it also works the other way round

In the distant and murky past I had G n' R, Judas Priest, Genesis, Stone Roses and Aerosmith albums and now wonder what the hell my brain was playing at