2 - Steve Lawson - grace and gratitude
3 - Anthony Jackson - anything!
4 - John Patitucci - line by line
5 - Jonas Hellborg - silent life
[/quote]
Plus one on this
I think line by line has been one of my favourite album for a long time

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1503474392' post='3358443']
How bizarre is all this? I get the impression that a number of posters on this thread don't actually have children. :yarr:

The only answer that will actually get you anywhere is, "What/who do you like listening to? Fine, play along with that then."

If I'd asked my father what to listen to if I wanted to hear great basslines, I'd have spent the next 20 years listening exclusively to Glenn Miller and Frank Sinatra.

Your kids don't want to listen to "your" music. That's part of being your kids. :lol:
[/quote]

This elegantly sums up my thoughts when I read the title. I know these albums and players are what we now consider 'classic' but they are the kind of artists that also appear on those naff classic rock dad compilation albums they advertise on fathers day.

Just tell your kids to play along to whatever music they like, and let them discover classic players and albums on their own, its all part of the fun. Let them work out where the music they like comes from, everything is so accessible on the internet and they will find if they want to.

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1503442493' post='3358366']

1 - Iron Maiden - Live after Death

Next chapter: "Dad, what bass should I buy?"
[/quote]

Live After Death album was what influenced me to start playing a bass. I remember listening to it on vinyl and looking at the pictures within the cover.

I'm biased so I'd suggest a p bass.or Steve Harris signature p bass😉

How bizarre is all this? I get the impression that a number of posters on this thread don't actually have children. :yarr:

The only answer that will actually get you anywhere is, "What/who do you like listening to? Fine, play along with that then."

If I'd asked my father what to listen to if I wanted to hear great basslines, I'd have spent the next 20 years listening exclusively to Glenn Miller and Frank Sinatra.

Your kids don't want to listen to "your" music. That's part of being your kids. :lol:
[/quote]

If I'd have listened to my Dad I would have ended up listening to Sabbath, Zep, Deep Purple, Rush and Yes. I ignored him and listed to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth and RATM!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1503477124' post='3358476']
If I'd have listened to my Dad I would have ended up listening to Sabbath, Zep, Deep Purple, Rush and Yes. I ignored him and listed to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth and RATM!
[/quote]

Your Dad was right ...

:ph34r:

Both my boys just worked their way through my music collection (Jazz through to Classical and everything in between).
They made up their own minds.

My oldest just told me after reading through this thread, (although someone mentions influential).There is only one nod to James Jamerson.
That seemed to surprise him. But what does he know ? He is just a kid.. :D

Edited by lowdown

It was just meant to be a bit of fun! I'm not imposing any tastes on my kids.

I'm just suggesting some music that I think is good to listen to to get going and has accessible songs and lines.

Going back to my original post, the Beatles album was not a regular on my turntable, but I picked up a lot from it.

Edited by interpol52

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1503478533' post='3358489']
It was just meant to be a bit of fun! I'm not imposing any tastes on my kids.
[/quote]

You do know, if you play that selection of albums that you suggested in front of your kids friends,
they won't have any friends. :)

i haven't tried to influence my daughters' music choices. I have music on in the car. They quite like James Brown.

One likes guitar and tries to listen out for bass; she didnt really know what to listen out for so I've tried to point it out.
We were driving down the freeway in Florida one hot day and I had found a rock music station; They played some of the Joshua Tree; I pointed out, as a clear example, the bass in With or Without you and a light bulb came on as she realised what bass sounded like. Cue "I still havent found" response "I really like this american music, daddy" she said...

[/quote]just what I was thinking, we all started playing because we wanted to play stuff we liked, not what our old man liked, or what the tutor liked, that's enough to put anyone off

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1503481179' post='3358525']
just what I was thinking, we all started playing because we wanted to play stuff we liked, not what our old man liked, or what the tutor liked, that's enough to put anyone off
[/quote]

I got into a whole load of music through my tutor that I'd never encountered before. My dad's choice of music was and is fairly bland. My tutor got me into the whole jazz thing, and then solo bass by lending me an early Michael Manring CD.

I think the idea is, we all have favourite or inspirational players, so name 5 albums that you think epitomise great bass playing.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1503481663' post='3358530']
I think the idea is, we all have favourite or inspirational players, so name 5 albums that you think epitomise great bass playing.
[/quote]

I do get that this is supposed to be a fun thing, and not to be taken too seriously, but I'd be quite concerned if anyone actually followed that advice.

I can't think of a faster way to discourage a newbie on bass than by pointing him/her at full fat Jaco Pastorius or at Marcus Miller in "look at me! look at me!" mode.

If one of my kids genuinely wanted me to recommend some of my favourite bass work to help them get started, I'd just say two words: Duck Dunn.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1503482658' post='3358545']
I do get that this is supposed to be a fun thing, and not to be taken too seriously, but I'd be quite concerned if anyone actually followed that advice.

I can't think of a faster way to discourage a newbie on bass than by pointing him/her at full fat Jaco Pastorius or at Marcus Miller in "look at me! look at me!" mode.

If one of my kids genuinely wanted me to recommend some of my favourite bass work to help them get started, I'd just say two words: Duck Dunn.
[/quote]

Which would turn me off, I really dislike that kind of thing. Each to his/her own though, which I guess is the point of this.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1503481663' post='3358530']
I got into a whole load of music through my tutor that I'd never encountered before. My dad's choice of music was and is fairly bland. My tutor got me into the whole jazz thing, and then solo bass by lending me an early Michael Manring CD.

[/quote]if a tutor had lent me a Jazz CD I don't think I'd have picked the bass up again, don't like Jazz and I don't like bass solo's, more of a Ramones type of guy myself :) , each to their own.
edit, just seen name 5 albums that epitomise great bass playing, the answer is if you like the song you'll like the bass line, personally, Macca did some great bass lines, but, I like the Beatles anyway, London Calling has a very interesting bass line, but sometimes just hammering away on the root note works like the Ramones, Seg Jennings out of the Ruts is a very good player IMO, but I usually think that getting the groove of the song is more important than the actual notes played.
But if was teaching someone how to play bass my first question would be "What songs do you like?"

Edited by PaulWarning

They should familiarise themselves with:

Meghan Trainor - All About That Bass

Puretone - Addicted to Bass

Theme from "Seinfeld"

Because when they tell people they are a bass player, the first question nearly every faft ducker will ask is, "ooh, are you [i]all about that bass[/i]?" A smaller subset of people may instead ask, "so are you [i]addicted to bass[/i], wha-oh-wha-oooh?" In either case, they will probably grin inanely in the assumption that they are the first person to have ever asked a bass player that question.

And when people see them carrying their bass guitar, a large number of them, having got past the two obvious questions above, will then ask, "ooh, can you play the thing from 'Seinfeld'?" Possibly while doing air-slap-bass in a manner not unlike Alan Partridge.

Edited by EliasMooseblaster

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1503472377' post='3358431']
Any detroit era Motown.
[/quote]

I missed the 5 albums bit, so to expand:

1 - The Four Tops: Reach Out
2 - Marvin Gaye: What's Going On
3 - The Supremes: Supremes a Go Go
4 - Martha and the Vandellas: Dance Party
5 - Stevie Wonder: I Was Made to Love Her

My Dad would have been ecstatic if I'd gone into Accountancy or the Civil Service, rather than being the rock musician I became. His taste in music was West End Shows. Mine was anything on the Chess and Stax record labels.

I've been asked to help beginners on several occasions and all I say is, what was the last song you listened to that you'd like to play. And that's where we start.