Why become a member? ×

"Dad, I want to play bass, who should I listen to?"

interpol52

My boys have picked up on my musical genes. So this is a Top 5 most influential bass albums disguised as something more meaningful.

My 'listen to these, son' albums are -

1 - Iron Maiden - Live after Death
2 - Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
3 - Primus - Frizzle Fry
4 - The Beatles - Sergeant Pepper
5 - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

What would you say?

Next chapter: "Dad, what bass should I buy?"

Edited by interpol52

Couldn't be more different :).

1- Michael Manring - the book of flame
2 - Steve Lawson - grace and gratitude
3 - Anthony Jackson - anything!
4 - John Patitucci - line by line
5 - Jonas Hellborg - silent life

Edited by ambient

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1503444564' post='3358374']
"Right then boys; do you want me to tell who/what* I think are the best players/bands/songs/albums/styles*, or do you want me to suggest something you might have a chance of actually being able to play sometime soon?"

*Delete as appropriate
[/quote]

I'd say check these out, they'll give you ideas of what the bass [b][i]can[/i][/b] do. Don't copy, be influenced and inspired.

I didn't give my son a list, but I helped him workout and play all the songs he chose.

I'd tell people starting out to try lots of instruments until they find one that "speaks" to them and start learning to pay their favourite songs.

After they do that, and if they are succeeding, get lessons.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1503445528' post='3358379']

I'd say check these out, they'll give you ideas of what the bass [b][i]can[/i][/b] do. Don't copy, be influenced and inspired.
[/quote]

I should have put that my list is pretty much what I was listening to in my first few years of playing bass, they are realistic on that you probably could play some of the songs within your first 6 months. I could have put some Jaco on there but I can't even play most of those now after 29 years!

My tastes have changed somewhat since!

Edited by interpol52

In no particular order

Beatles - Rubber Soul

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin I ( and II III V In Through The Out Door Physical Graffiti :))

Yes - Fragile

Black Sabbath- Any early one...WAIT STOP !

your kids will never listen to a WHOLE ALBUM, if such a thing still exists. They don't have the attention span.

So pick 5 songs

Beatles - Rain

Led Zeppelin - Ramble On

Black Sabbath - Bassically/N.I.B

Yes - Roundabout

Rush - YYZ

job done, when they've learned those note for note we will move on hehe

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1503461596' post='3358389']
I didn't give my son a list, but I helped him workout and play all the songs he chose.

I'd tell people starting out to try lots of instruments until they find one that "speaks" to them and start learning to pay their favourite songs.

After they do that, and if they are succeeding, get lessons.
[/quote]

Great advice. Pretty much what my dad did with me. He played guitar in various pub and club bands. I grew up surrounded by guitars and his band practicing three part harmonies in our living room. He never once tried to get me to play, I just found it in my own time. Great thing was, he had terminal GAS so encouraged me to get good gear.

Ok, here goes

1. Master of puppets - Metallica
2. Core - Stone temple pilots
3. Back in Black - AC/DC
4. Blood sugar sex magic - Red hot chilli peppers
5. Chic greatest hits

Bit of a mix, I know but there is some stuff to inspire, it also some stuff that is playable as a beginner!

OP list looks great. Fun, accessible, good tunes.
Nevermind and the first RATM album, both great bass albums. I guess today's angry teenagers have bands most of us on here aren't aware of.

Best of luck getting your kids to listen to
- entire albums
- anything 'Dad recommends' :)

Anything by U2..start em off easy! :rolleyes:

joking aside, one of the first tunes I learned when I picked up a bass was 'With or Without You' A very satisfying feeling when you realise you can play along to a whole song after about 20 mins practice!

Edited by Oopsdabassist

How bizarre is all this? I get the impression that a number of posters on this thread don't actually have children. :yarr:

The only answer that will actually get you anywhere is, "What/who do you like listening to? Fine, play along with that then."

If I'd asked my father what to listen to if I wanted to hear great basslines, I'd have spent the next 20 years listening exclusively to Glenn Miller and Frank Sinatra.

Your kids don't want to listen to "your" music. That's part of being your kids. :lol:

Carrying on the 5 songs theme (as most likely to succeed):

Money - Pink Floyd

Goin' Underground - The Jam

Peaches - The Stranglers

Killer Queen - John Deacon and some other people

Papa's Got A Brand New Bag - James Brown

5 slightly different flavours and none of them so difficult that you can't have a stab after a while.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1503474392' post='3358443']
How bizarre is all this? I get the impression that a number of posters on this thread don't actually have children. :yarr:

The only answer that will actually get you anywhere is, "What/who do you like listening to? Fine, play along with that then."

If I'd asked my father what to listen to if I wanted to hear great basslines, I'd have spent the next 20 years listening exclusively to Glenn Miller and Frank Sinatra.

Your kids don't want to listen to "your" music. That's part of being your kids. :lol:
[/quote]

It's called having a bit of fun. We all know what children are like. My eldest daughter started off wanting to play Roundabout and I didn't even like Yes.