Why become a member? ×

Curve Ball Covers

redbandit599

Hi all

Just putting the finishing touches on a rocky, poppy, Indy set for a new band.

We've got some good stuff lined up already and mostly pretty modern too.

I like a 'curve ball ' cover, but they often can die a bit - anyone done, seen or heard something a bit 'out there' that works well?

Cheers

Jason

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1499021761' post='3328663']
We do Personal Jesus, version is kind of a cross between the Manson one and the Cash one, goes surprisingly well.
[/quote]

We do that too, ours is closer to Depeche Mode's original but with everything a bit heavier.

I'm constantly pushing my rock covers band to chuck in a curveball, to consistent reluctance. I saw, a couple of years ago, an all male rock covers band not dissimilar to my own in a pub, and out of nowhere they did a heavy version of Katy Percy's 'I Kissed A Girl' which absolutely rocked and went down a storm.

Cheers all - gotta love a curve ball.
In my other band ( more old school rock) we do a version of Mama Mia which goes really well.
Spent ages on a reworking of Get Lucky, dropped it, heavied it, put Ina couple of really tasteful harmony guitar passages - died on it's arse 😂

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1499076853' post='3328939']
We used to do Back of my Hand by the Jags, great song to play and always well received
[/quote]

A great song indeed.

My old three-piece band used to do Breathe by The Prodigy which was always well received. I think most punters love a 'curve ball', it shows you've made an effort. I'd like my current lot to try more but the drummer's a set in his ways rocker and won't have it! Would love to try something like a Lady Gaga tune or a 90s dance classic.

[quote name='upside downer' timestamp='1499085986' post='3329025']
My old three-piece band used to do Breathe by The Prodigy which was always well received. I think most punters love a 'curve ball', it shows you've made an effort. I'd like my current lot to try more but the drummer's a set in his ways rocker and won't have it! Would love to try something like a Lady Gaga tune or a 90s dance classic.
[/quote]

We do Step it Up by stereo MC's. It fits in that we play it our way so the feel remains the same (slightly funky rock) but still very recognisable to the original, but it's so far apart from the other songs on our set list that it's a nice surprise for the audience and it "hits our demographic". Always goes down well, and you can make it as long or short as you like which is handy!!

Ahem, yes been doing this in bands for nearly 20 years. Acoustic band does everything from Beatles to Opeth. Main band currently doing the following, all a bit punk, and with male vocals: Wishing A Flock Of Seagulls Knowing Me Knowing You ABBA Rolling In The Deep Adele Mandy Barry Manilow Wonderful Life Black I Kissed A Girl
Katy Perry
I Want You To Want Me Cheap Trick Fortunate Son Creedence Clearwater Revival Everything Counts Depeche Mode Jolene Dolly Parton I Only Want To Be With You Dusty Springfield Rocket Man Elton John A Little Respect Erasure Cars Gary Numan Rhinestone Cowboy Glen Campbell Iris Goo Goo Dolls I'll Be There Jackson 5 Annies Song John Denver Leaving On A Jet Plane John Denver Wuthering Heights Kate Bush Bad Romance Lady Gaga Torn Nathalie Imbruglia You're The One That I Want Olivia Newton-John Fat Bottomed Girls Queen Take It On The Run REO Speedwagon The Sound Of Silence Simon & Garfunkel Tainted Love Soft Cell Seasons In The Sun Terry Jacks Friday I'm In Love The Cure The Banana Splits The Dickies California Dreaming The Mamas and the Papas So Good To Be Back Home Again The Tourists Wake Me Up Before You Go Go Wham

Edited by Adrenochrome

I've always been amazed how well our cover of, Animal Nitrate goes down, same with Inbetween days by the cure.

But for some real oddball's

A few years ago we did a Disney themed costume company, Christmas party and played, Punked up versions of some Disney songs, frozen had just been released
so we dragged up all the Elsa dressed staff , for a cover of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U56r4KaaBEc .

There's also a great video of me holding my T-bird vertically and playing ... I wanna be like you then dancing around like a monkey * even funnier because I was dressed as Captain
hook with the reason of the band all dressed as characters from Peter Pan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD8gS--6VgY It was based on this version but a little closer to the original in feel ... No your not going to get the vid ;-)

Covers to fit the mood / party / I think we've got a rule of trying to do a learn one new song each time we do a gig , keeps it feeling fresh.

A couple of bits of recommended listening that you might want to appropriate...

One an old band of mine pinched is The Ataris cover of Boys Of Summer - always went down excellently.

Another ripped off The Hanson Brothers' cover of Get It Right Back (not Hanson - this is NoMeansNo singing songs about ice skating in the style of the Ramones - brilliant stuff)

China Drum did a great metal/punk version of Wuthering Heights

Also from an old band from my teens, we used to do a cracking version of Remember You're A Womble. Great bit of glam rock when you replace the violin part with lead guitar...

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1499096446' post='3329129']
A couple of bits of recommended listening that you might want to appropriate...

One an old band of mine pinched is The Ataris cover of Boys Of Summer - always went down excellently.

Another ripped off The Hanson Brothers' cover of Get It Right Back (not Hanson - this is NoMeansNo singing songs about ice skating in the style of the Ramones - brilliant stuff)

China Drum did a great metal/punk version of Wuthering Heights

Also from an old band from my teens, we used to do a cracking version of Remember You're A Womble. Great bit of glam rock when you replace the violin part with lead guitar...
[/quote]

Our version of Wuthering Heights is based largely on China Drum's version, we just go to a second bridge where the guitar solo at the end is as we don't do much in the way of solos.
Many of our covers are based on other people's covers eg Me First & The Gimme Gimmes.

Depends on how you define a curve ball. We have:

Take your Mama - scissor sisters
Poker Face - Lady Gaga
Ghostbusters
Voodoo People - pendulum version of prodigy.
not my name - Ting tings.

We have a load of other range from twist and shout, fight for your right, quite a lot of reel big fish etc

We do a tango version of Gnarls Barkley's crazy, and poker face with a Purdie shuffle. We do some mash ups, one's called Jack My Happy Love Whole which is hit the road jack, happy and whole lotta love interwoven. Our salsa version of shake it off bombed however.

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1499076853' post='3328939']
We used to do Back of my Hand by the Jags, great song to play and always well received
[/quote]
Saw the Jags then I was at uni. They opened with "back of my hand", and finished with it as well, and then for an encore did .........(you've guessed it)