Why become a member? ×

"YOB" Bass

TheGreek

[quote name='GuyR' timestamp='1493852721' post='3291378']
[URL=http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/Guycrussell/media/image_6.jpeg.html][IMG]http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t418/Guycrussell/image_6.jpeg[/IMG][/URL]

Here is mine. 1965 for me - one of the benefits of advancing years is a YOB of good vintage.
[/quote]
Nnnnnice. That'd be my choice too, bass and year. Well i didn't choose the year, but you know what I mean.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1493846189' post='3291299']
A 1965 P-Bass would suit me very nicely.
[/quote]
Fight you for it

Never really understood the YOB bass thing....65? Is that still pre-CBS Fender? Didn't CBS come in late 64?
What other choices are there?
And all at silly money...

My oldest bass is currently an 82/83 (one or the other - never taken the neck off to establish date)....and tbh it's the bass I pick up least.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1493841912' post='3291248']
I was born in 1962 but my birthday is 28th December which, I suspect, means that most factories would have been closed for the rest of the year. This means any "YOB" bass built in '62 would be older than I am. At least the majority of basses built in '63 would have been built in 12 months from my birth.

[/quote]

You were born the day before my 6th birthday. I remember it well - I had measles and my party was cancelled.

My birthday was a Saturday, so the only day on which the Fender factory could have been open for business would have been Monday 31st December 1956, so I can be pretty certain that no basses were built that day - especially since they used to make basses in small, occasional batches in the 50s.

I chose as my YoB bass the first batch of Precisions built once I was around, which meant

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Basses%20CURRENT/Fender%20Precision%201957%20CURRENT/CIMG1231.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Basses%20CURRENT/Fender%20Precision%201957%20CURRENT/CIMG1231.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My bass was built in

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Basses%20CURRENT/Fender%20Precision%201957%20CURRENT/IMG_8200J.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Basses%20CURRENT/Fender%20Precision%201957%20CURRENT/IMG_8200J.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

and

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Basses%20CURRENT/Fender%20Precision%201957%20CURRENT/IMG_8185V.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Basses%20CURRENT/Fender%20Precision%201957%20CURRENT/IMG_8185V.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I started [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/279770-the-year-of-birth-bass/"]a very similar thread[/url] just over a year ago.

TBH there is nothing from my YoB that I could ever consider to be a usable bass for me. There are a handful of oddities that I would be happy to own, but they would be display instruments with occasional studio use at best.

1. [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hofner 500/10 Six String Bass[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2. Danelectro Longhorn Six String Bass[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3. Gibson EB6 Six String Bass[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]4. Gibson EB0 (original body shape)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5. Gibson EB2[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]6. Burns Artist Bass (If I could find one that definitely was made in 1960)[/font][/color]

Edited by BigRedX

My father-in-law has an original '73 Fender Precision in Mocha brown that I guess has my name written all over it. It has the original case & till receipt but has had an active pickup fitted in the 80s and will need a re-fret. I guess I've aged similarly.

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1493887926' post='3291491']
My father-in-law has an original '73 Fender Precision in Mocha brown that I guess has my name written all over it. It has the original case & till receipt but has had an active pickup fitted in the 80s and will need a re-fret. I guess I've aged similarly.
[/quote]

Is a re-fret the equivalent of having new teeth and an active pickup a pacemaker ?
:D

Thought about this for my 50th a few years ago - mine would be 64, but as I'm a P-Bass kinda bloke and I only like maple boards, I'm never gonna find/afford one, so I gave up on the whole idea...

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1493878096' post='3291415']
So... a modified upright for you?

Heeheehee
[/quote]

I think I'd prefer (and do more justice to..! :blush: ) a 1950 maple Gretsch kit, if I was pushed. It would need to be switched around to 'lefty', of course, and I'd change the resonant head for an uncut. Nice, eh..? B)

[quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1493885486' post='3291472']
Just to buck the current trend of dates....1991, anybody think of a particularly special bass from that era? :lol:
[/quote]

I'd say you're spoilt for choice there, It would be much easier to find a YOB bass I'd want to own from 1991 than from my actual birth year (1965).

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1493844496' post='3291282']
If you were born in 1962, then the YOB bass is a '62.
'63 makes no sense for me even if you were born so close to the end of the year.
[/quote]

This.

My YOB (1960) makes it too expensive so I have had to settle for a '66 P bass and now lie about my age :ph34r:

Just to buck the current trend of dates....1991, anybody think of a particularly special bass from that era? :lol:
[/quote]
Warwick Streamer Stage 1 a'la Stuart Zender!

[/quote]
[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1493894094' post='3291556']
Got to be a Flea era Stingray, black and rosewood complete with the proper 'Flea' bridge?
[/quote]

Well given that BSSM came out in September 1991 a "Flea era Stingray" is actually spelled "Mark II 4-string Wal bass"... ;) :ph34r:

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1493893617' post='3291553']
I think I'd prefer (and do more justice to..! :blush: ) a 1950 maple Gretsch kit, if I was pushed. It would need to be switched around to 'lefty', of course, and I'd change the resonant head for an uncut. Nice, eh..? B)
[/quote]

Nicely avoided.

I thought you played bass as well. The kit is nice and I think the resonant head refers to the bass drum's "reflex port" but that's all I can relate to, sorry. I was pulling your leg when I mentioned a modified upright as being of your era. Never-the-less there must be an example of a bass from your YoB. No?

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1493902807' post='3291676']
Nicely avoided.

I thought you played bass as well. The kit is nice and I think the resonant head refers to the bass drum's "reflex port" but that's all I can relate to, sorry. I was pulling your leg when I mentioned a modified upright as being of your era. Never-the-less there must be an example of a bass from your YoB. No?
[/quote]

'Fraid not, I'm from the distant past (1950...), just before Leo's inspiration. Yes, indeed, I play bass (quite badly...); my 'go-to' bass is my Hofner Verithin, f'rom '65. I've others (our youngest's Cort fiver, a 'Douglas' 6-string fretless, a nice OLP baritone guitar tuned as a bass...), but excel on none of 'em, wot wiv bein' a drummer an' all, innit..?
Yes, you're right about the reflex port; I'm 'old school', and leave the resonant head to resonate. I built a mic into my Camco bass drum, just so the sound engineers didn't have to wonder how to mic it up, although a mic just in front does a fine job. I think that, for many of 'em, it's just how they've seen it done on 'telly, so that's what they go for. Not on my watch, though..! :sleep:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1493906238' post='3291718']
'Fraid not, I'm from the distant past (1950...), just before Leo's inspiration...
[/quote]

'Fraid so. Leo wasn't the first. This might be of interest;

http://www.musicradar.com/news/bass/the-history-of-the-electric-bass-part-one-the-early-days-507234

"The bass revolution really started with the introduction of electronics and amplification and for the earliest examples we have to look at the Vega Electric Bass Viol from the 1930s, the Electrified Double Bass from Regal in 1936 and Rickenbacker with their Electro Bass-Viol from around the same time.
These were essentially the centre part of an upright bass from headstock to end pin so no prizes for guessing where the designs for the skeletal electric uprights of the 1990s came from!"

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1493899183' post='3291618']

Well given that BSSM came out in September 1991 a "Flea era Stingray" is actually spelled "Mark II 4-string Wal bass"... ;) :ph34r:
[/quote]

Or the five string Stingray he used for some tracks on BSSM, if the Wal was so good why didn't it get on tour? Maybe they are crap live :P :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1493909827' post='3291768']

Or the five string Stingray he used for some tracks on BSSM, if the Wal was so good why didn't it get on tour? Maybe they are crap live :P :D
[/quote]

It was too heavy for him to leap about with, and in his own words, "it looked too dorky."

[quote name='Elfrasho' timestamp='1493846922' post='3291306']
I'm an '82 dude, but for fender I don't think that Was a good period.
[/quote]

1982 was the year of the gorgeous Fullerton re-issues, some of Fenders best bass guitars!! I'd love one but if I'm to follow the spirit of this thread I'll be shelling out for a pre-CBS '63.....