Why become a member? ×

"YOB" Bass

TheGreek

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1493909827' post='3291768']

Or the five string Stingray he used for some tracks on BSSM, if the Wal was so good why didn't it get on tour? Maybe they are crap live :P :D
[/quote]

He's quoted as saying it was too posh and boutique looking for a hard man of rock like him to be seen with on stage... #invertedsnob ;) :D

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1493913866' post='3291817']
Often thought of this as a nice to have... I'm an 84 man so suppose that's Aria SB? And it would have to be lefty also... Not a lot of choice.
[/quote]

But what a great choice!

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1493913866' post='3291817']
Often thought of this as a nice to have... I'm an 84 man so suppose that's Aria SB? And it would have to be lefty also... Not a lot of choice.
[/quote]

Some nice Ibanez basses around that time too.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1493932922' post='3292023']
[attachment=244644:post-9862-1296135181.jpg]

Now you can play Guess how old I am.
[/quote]

Didnt know he made lefty versions of that! I spent some time working at PACE:MM when they were involved with the scorpion/steer era Burns'es. Interesting chap, was Jim.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1493932922' post='3292023']
[attachment=244644:post-9862-1296135181.jpg]

Now you can play Guess how old I am.
[/quote]

Some time between 1960 and 1964 - more likely towards the latter date due to the rosewood board. Does it actually have a date stamp or sticker on it? It's in better condition than mine:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/DSC01541-2.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1494070353' post='3293006']
I once spent years looking at every jack plate on a Ric 4001 looking for 'RC' as that's March 1978. Eventually found a lovely Autumnglo bass with RC, and soon realised that owning a Ric wasn't as much fun for me back then as GAS'ing for one ;)
[/quote]

Yes, been there too. Careful what you wish for and all that!

Me, I'm 1972 so ideally I'd love a 72 fretless Precision but they are a bit too pricey for me now. I've seen a YOB Fender Tele bass which is doable, but I fear I may not get on with just the one neck mudbucker. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for one that has already been bastardised with a second pickup (cheaper and more versatile) - if anyone sees one...

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1494077040' post='3293059']

Yes, been there too. Careful what you wish for and all that!

Me, I'm 1972 so ideally I'd love a 72 fretless Precision but they are a bit too pricey for me now. I've seen a YOB Fender Tele bass which is doable, but I fear I may not get on with just the one neck mudbucker. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for one that has already been bastardised with a second pickup (cheaper and more versatile) - if anyone sees one...
[/quote]

How about a 72 Musicmaster and defret it? Players ones can still be found cheap and early ones can have a great mojo. I used a 71 Musicmaster Bass solidly for a few years with a PJ pickup combo, sounded excellent and to the point that a decent Producer I did some sessions for said to me "make sure you bring that bass!". It would have made an awesome Picollo bass, and I had plans for that but then I was able to use long scales again following an injury and sold it to buy a vintage Fender long scale. Would have been a very cool bass to keep back then if I could have.,.,

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1493876870' post='3291410']
I initially thought this thread was about Aaron Rieseberg, which would make the YOB bass a Rickenbacker or EGC :lol:[/quote]

I was thinking along other lines too from the thread title, would a bass version of this work?