Why become a member? ×

Music shops -any wonder they're going under?

Jakester

Gave up music shops,exercise in futility. Places never have what I need.

Highly recommended repair shop Strung Out.

Me "morning. I need about 6" of cable for ground wire"
Them "Try Maplin"
Me "What about flatwounds ?"
Them "Just what's on the shelf"

Guitarguitar

Me "Any flatwounds ?"
Them "Errgh"
Me "Don't bother I'll check the shelf"

Course none both times.

Local shop RA Music
Me "Any scratchplate screws ?"
Them "Try Guitarguitar in Glasgow "

50 mile round trip into Glasgow city centre for screws I can get of eBay for £1.49 ! No chance.

Did have a success with Ayr Guitars,in Ayr :)

Me "Any black beauties ?
Owner " Naw. I've got Roto Nexus though."
Me " What they like ?"
Owner "Got a set on my Wal. That's it over there,I'll plug it in so you can try them"

Yes I bought them.

My local shop used to be terrible - one of those shops that stocked three basses, one Squier, one Encore and a MIM Precision on a good day and thought bass strings started and ended with Rotosounds. Then a fella came in who knew what he was doing and turned it around. They'll get high end stuff in just for me to try out, no obligation, will match internet prices and give a small discount for regular customers, will set up all their guitars before they go on display and take an interest in all the folk in the shop.

This is the sort of shop that I am proud to have on my doorstep and will support as much as I can.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1475076634' post='3142864']
I dunno about 60 years but I know from personal experience they've certainly been of - shall we say - [i]variable quality[/i] since 1973.

The very first time ever I went into a music shop the guy eventually looks up from the organ he's playing, eyes me up and down in a disparaging fashion and says '[i]What?[/i]'
[/quote]

was he offering nostril flaring lessons?

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1475090392' post='3143035']
I generally use 4 music shops, PMT Birmingham, The Little Guitar Shop in the jewellery quarter, Fair Deal Music and Rockstar Guitars in Blackheath.

To date all have given good advice and excellent service. We appear to be well served here in the West Midlands.
[/quote]Have to agree with this, for me, its more than a hours drive to PMT but well worth it for the amount of goodies they have on offer, and I've always found the staff to be friendly and knowledgeable.

About a year ago, because of my back & neck problems, I thought that maybe a short-scale bass might be the answer, so I spent a very pleasant couple of hours in PMT trying out various shorties along with a few Ibanez's because of their lightweight, anyway, because of my love for precisions, I decided that the Fender Mustang I tried was probably the closest I would get to the sound I want from a short-scale bass, but I still couldn't make up my mind, so the sales guy said, "why don't you take it home and try it out for a couple of weeks, you can pay on your card now, but if you don't like it, just bring it back unmarked, and we will refund you".
So I did this, but unfortunately after just a couple of days, I could tell that it wasn't for me, so I took it back and asked for the salesman who I dealt with originally, but it was his day off, so I told the guy what the arrangement was, and without any questions, he asked for my card and refunded me, I didn't buy anything else that day, but I have bought many items since, and I always recommend PMT as the place to go if you want great service. :)

Edited for grammar and spelling.

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1475370388' post='3145468']
Gave up music shops,exercise in futility. Places never have what I need.

Highly recommended repair shop Strung Out.

Me "morning. I need about 6" of cable for ground wire"
Them "Try Maplin"
Me "What about flatwounds ?"
Them "Just what's on the shelf"

Guitarguitar

Me "Any flatwounds ?"
Them "Errgh"
Me "Don't bother I'll check the shelf"

Course none both times.

Local shop RA Music
Me "Any scratchplate screws ?"
Them "Try Guitarguitar in Glasgow "

50 mile round trip into Glasgow city centre for screws I can get of eBay for £1.49 ! No chance.

Did have a success with Ayr Guitars,in Ayr :)

Me "Any black beauties ?
Owner " Naw. I've got Roto Nexus though."
Me " What they like ?"
Owner "Got a set on my Wal. That's it over there,I'll plug it in so you can try them"

Yes I bought them.
[/quote]

Ayr Guitar is the best name for a music shop ever!

Also, the owner is a great guy. I had been playing all of six months when I went in, just for a nosey. He came over while I was trying out a Cort, started chatting away about basses and I indicated that I was just in to kill time while the Mrs was away looking in shoe shops. He then asked if I wanted to try his Wal. I wet myself and squeaked 'yes please'. He gave me a thorough history of the bass and tour of its features, then plugged it into an amp and urged me to have fun. I had fun. What a fantastic fella. Unfortunately, they don't carry much of interest to me, but if they did, I would give that dude most of my business.

And trying to buy flatwounds in Glasgow is like trying to buy Rohypnol in Boots.

Edited by Funky Dunky

I know what you mean about Music Shops, I've had similar experiences, but I've also had very positive ones (namely Wunjo Bass in Denmark St, London and Bass Gear). Had a less than positive experience at Bass Direct this year thats put me off dealing with them. Positive customer service is so important, the guys at Wunjo have really nailed it.

My local shop, Fretz in Hemel Hempstead is great, Barry the owner is a bassist (and plays many other instruments from what I can gather) and is always very willing to help, as are whatever staff he has. Likewise with Coda in Stevenage. Do think it`s staff attitude that gets people either coming back, or speading the word to never enter again.

The only slight problem I have with music shops is prices, and appreciate that having premises/staff costs etc all have a hand in this. I need a fresh set of Rotos every month - on evilbay they`re £15-ish (so £180 per year) in music shops they`re about £22 (so £264 per year). So by not helping keep my local shops going I`m nearly £90 (or 6 months worth of strings) better off.

Was in digital village a few years back buying stuff for with a band I was in... 2 keyboards, 4 pa speakers, mics and stands... Already rung up on the till... The guitarist then decided he'd like to try a new fender amp. When we asked the sales guy if he could audition it he said "I'm not getting it from the store room unless you definitely buy it" when we explained we'd like to hear it first he said "can't you just imagine what it sounds like?"
Needless to say I've never been back to "the imaginarium" since...

[quote name='spiltmilk_2000' timestamp='1475421002' post='3145757']
Was in digital village a few years back buying stuff for with a band I was in... 2 keyboards, 4 pa speakers, mics and stands... Already rung up on the till... The guitarist then decided he'd like to try a new fender amp. When we asked the sales guy if he could audition it he said "I'm not getting it from the store room unless you definitely buy it" when we explained we'd like to hear it first he said "can't you just imagine what it sounds like?"
[/quote]

Ridiculous. I would have been tempted to walk out and get the gear from somewhere else. You'd think they'd be falling over themselves to add more onto an already big sale.

[quote name='Mike' timestamp='1475429884' post='3145845']
Ridiculous. I would have been tempted to walk out and get the gear from somewhere else. You'd think they'd be falling over themselves to add more onto an already big sale.
[/quote]

I bought a Nord Stage 88 from DV a few years ago, they got it in along with a Korg Kronos and Yamaha XF8 at my request so that I could A/B/C them. Left me in their dem room by myself for a couple of hours, and they had the best price.. Hard to fault in my opinion..

[/quote]Surely you walked immediately without buying the gear already in the till?

I must say though, I used to use the Barnet shop quite a lot when they still had shops, and all I had to do was ring them about something and if they didn't have in stock, they would get one in for me to try usually by the next day without any obligation to buy.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1475437169' post='3145928']
Surely you walked immediately without buying the gear already in the till?

I must say though, I used to use the Barnet shop quite a lot when they still had shops, and all I had to do was ring them about something and if they didn't have in stock, they would get one in for me to try usually by the next day without any obligation to buy.
[/quote]

That was my local shop -always helpful and friendly people there :)

[/quote]

"well, now you're going to have to imagine what my cash would look like in your books, because I'm taking it back"

:lol:

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1475397153' post='3145536']
Have to agree with this, for me, its more than a hours drive to PMT but well worth it for the amount of goodies they have on offer, and I've always found the staff to be friendly and knowledgeable.

About a year ago, because of my back & neck problems, I thought that maybe a short-scale bass might be the answer, so I spent a very pleasant couple of hours in PMT trying out various shorties along with a few Ibanez's because of their lightweight, anyway, because of my love for precisions, I decided that the Fender Mustang I tried was probably the closest I would get to the sound I want from a short-scale bass, but I still couldn't make up my mind, so the sales guy said, "why don't you take it home and try it out for a couple of weeks, you can pay on your card now, but if you don't like it, just bring it back unmarked, and we will refund you".
So I did this, but unfortunately after just a couple of days, I could tell that it wasn't for me, so I took it back and asked for the salesman who I dealt with originally, but it was his day off, so I told the guy what the arrangement was, and without any questions, he asked for my card and refunded me, I didn't buy anything else that day, but I have bought many items since, and I always recommend PMT as the place to go if you want great service. :)

Edited for grammar and spelling.
[/quote]

Now that is good customer service. I purchased a TCE BG250 208 from them earlier in the year over the phone. Whilst taking my details for postage the the member of staff said "Oh I live out in your direction, I'll drop it off for you on the way home tonight". This he duly did. PMT - highly recommended.

Edited by grandad

Paid a visit to new PMT in Nottm on Sat morning, a good number of people in but then there always is on opening day. Looked a decen tamount of stock, drum section upstairs out of the way. Not a huge range of manufacturers bass wise, lots of Fenders and Squiers but a few non run of the mill ones, blue Rick Laredo that I might have a noodle on some time when it's quieter. Rick 4003 left handed model for a bit over £2300, can't see that flying off the rack but good on them to have it in for the few lefties around interested in trying a mythical Rick. Bit disappointed in bass amps/combos unless I missed some, again not a lot of different manufacturers on show, mainly Fender rumbles and Asdown with a smattering of Orange and Roland. Big Ampeg rig in the corner that made my back ache just looking at it.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1475486404' post='3146192']
Rick 4003 left handed model for a bit over £2300, can't see that flying off the rack but good on them to have it in for the few lefties around interested in trying a mythical Rick.
[/quote]

Wow! £2300, really? Guitarguitar have them for £2099, where's that extra 200 quid come from?! :lol:

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1475493253' post='3146298']
[url="https://www.yell.com/biz/strings-n-things-coventry-1835128/"]https://www.yell.com...ventry-1835128/[/url] :-)
[/quote]

That's the place that wouldn't let my mate try a guitar with a plectrum because "that's how you break strings".
They also wouldn't let him try the guitar through and amp: "if you're a good enough guitarist you'll know how it sounds without plugging it in"
Only when my mate took about £1000, cash, out of his pocket did he decided to become more accommodating. But we left the shop anyway.

I once asked for a set of Billy Sheehan sig strings. The bloke told me no such set existed and I'd invented it, whilst he was stood in front of an A1 sized posted of Billy advertising said set. When I point this out he told me to leave the shop.

But I did get my Aria SB Elite for £80 and an Aria CSB in part-ex from there.

There's a great vintage guitar shop in Oxfordshire. When a guitarist friend and myself went in there (both looking a bit scruffy, I admit, but carrying enough cash to buy what we were looking at) we were treated like a pair of cheeky schoolboys. As we are both in our fifties, we had a bit of a laugh about it on our way to another shop which was prepared to let my friend try the Gibson Les Paul and valve amp he had in mind before buying them (which he did).

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1475492760' post='3146296']
Wow! £2300, really? Guitarguitar have them for £2099, where's that extra 200 quid come from?! :lol:
[/quote]

I just checked their site in case I'd misremembered. It's because it's a leftie I think. Most of the regular RH 4003's at PMT are £1649 (though some are also £1899 - confusing) but the equivalent lefties are £2359! The other odd thing is there is a banner against the £2359 ones saying 'USA Model'. Have Rick started making them outside the USA now? If they have started manufacturing outside the US then maybe that is a factor. A £700 price diff just switching from RH to LH seems over the top if that is really the case;
[url="http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=rickenbacker+bass"]http://www.pmtonline...ckenbacker+bass[/url]

Edited by KevB

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1475231610' post='3144187']
I received an email from the Glasgow shop this morning to say that the email informing me of the impending arrival of my amp of choice was a generic one (even though it was addressed "Dear Duncan" and signed by a named member of staff) and that no, my amp of choice would not be coming in soon and if I want one it has to be a special order. No apology, no sorry for the confusion, just a general tone of "tough titty, mate".

They will therefore never see a pound of my money. I have expressed sufficient interest, they more or less lied to me, didn't apologise, weren't polite and, it seems, don't much care about trying to get the sale. I understand they can't necessarily order something in on spec, but the whole back and forth has been very shabby, so I'll take my money elsewhere.
[/quote]I suspect some genius has set-up an auto-reply e-mail system, with a mail-merge to 'personalise' the response so it appears you're getting service when you're not.