Why become a member? ×

Music shops -any wonder they're going under?

Jakester

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1475139940' post='3143302']
New PMT due to open in Nottm this Sat, looks a decent sized space when I looked in the window a couple of weeks back. I'm told the one in B'ham is massive so hopefully this one will give a bit of competition to the (largely uninspiring) current choices here.
[/quote]

Aye, the Birmingham one is huge. I am still not sure about PMT. They always seem to have a stupid number of staff so they must make lots of money as a company. I also play drums but like a lot of music shops they seem tied in to a few manufacturers. I cant even get the sticks I like in store so end up buying them on line.

Music stores are in trouble. A mate of mine runs one and I dont know how he stays in business. He is a musician and its his shop so he cares, but he says the days of the big purchase seem to be gone. He has to sell beginner packages and low end stuff even though he price matches the web outlets. He makes his money on strings, sticks, plecks, pedals etc.

On another note. I spent time and money going to a huge music shop in Leeds, about 5 years ago. What a waste of time. Ever instrument, Including the drums had a big "Do not play" sign on them. I can understand keeping young kids off the equipment but this was a bit ott, just a horrible atmosphere.

A drum shop in Newcastle, now sadly changed hands through retirement, would hand you a pair of sticks if you were looking longingly at a kit or a cymbal and tell you to get on with it. Guess the shop I bought most of my gear from?

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1475782792' post='3148786']
I shuddered when a guy walked into a shop I was browsing in, to show off his new guitar he'd bought from Thomann 'quite a bit cheaper than you sell it for'. What was the shop guy expected to say?
[/quote]

When this happened to me I was just slack jawed to start then actually asked outright 'Have you only come in to show me....what you have bought.....from somewhere else ?' I told him to F O pretty much, I was willing to take the risk he might not come back and buy something.